DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Clubs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs-13/)
-   -   Ok, so Columbia House just called me... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/492142-ok-so-columbia-house-just-called-me.html)

Brent L 02-10-07 02:44 PM

Ok, so Columbia House just called me...

Is this normal? I've never had it happen before, but maybe it's for people who have been a member for a number of months? I've had the same account open since August. Anyway, they called and offered me a deal where I buy any DVDs (plus shipping), and then when they mail the DVD to me they'll include a code that I can use on the phone or online to get a free DVD up to $21.xx (again, plus shipping). They were actually really nice and friendly, but I told them to call back, and they said they would on Monday.

Do they do this a lot?

Xbox69 02-10-07 02:59 PM

I've had them call me before. Twice it was to open a new account after I closed one. Other times they'd offer me a B1G1 offer (plus shipping) on an active account.

There was an instance where I didn't receive what I ordered (B1G1) but it was on a "bill me" account so I just let it go. It never showed up in my order history either. Just once I've given them my CC number (new account) and some other "bill me" offers were processed and shipped with no problem.

Bill Needle 02-10-07 03:18 PM

After having dozens of accounts over several years I have had them call me one time, and it was for some "special" deal that wasn't nearly as good as something I could find through this site very easily. I declined.

DVDMagic 02-10-07 03:42 PM

I had them call me around New Year with a similar offer

movieguru 02-10-07 11:07 PM

They never call me. They may have tried, but I always give fake telephone numbers because I hate getting telemarketing calls.

sailor_moon 02-10-07 11:31 PM

They called me too and for some reason their number showed up as 000-000-0000 on my cell phone. Weird.

lizard 02-11-07 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru
They never call me. They may have tried, but I always give fake telephone numbers because I hate getting telemarketing calls.

Same for me.

The telemarketers aren't necessarily part of Columbia House but could be a contract outfit. It has been widely reported here that they will tell any lie necessary to close a sale. Best to just hang up.

bballing 02-11-07 11:08 AM

They have been really trying over the last few months. I never answer.

McButton 02-12-07 12:12 AM

Same. I got a call. The guy was nice but wasn't accepting that I was busy and it was a work phone. I should have asked why my other app or my wife's was never approved. I've applied tons and it's always "lost."

Xbox69 02-12-07 01:51 AM

On one of the offers I pre-ordered the Double Indemnity, LS with a B1G1. I remember having to spell out i - n - d - e - m - n - i - t - y for the CSR so she could verify that it was available. :p

acubfaninmd 02-15-07 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by sailor_moon
They called me too and for some reason their number showed up as 000-000-0000 on my cell phone. Weird.

they called me from that same number yesterday and today. told them i could get better deals with the codes online but they wont leave me alone. lady called today and i said i talked to someone yesterday about this and she replied "but you didnt talk to me" told her to stop calling and im not interested

Shiv Shankly 02-21-07 12:40 PM

I just had some CH rep with a heavy Southern accent try to get me to rejoin, telling me my previous account had been left in great shape (never mind I've re-applied three times since and not been approved for whatever reason). So this guy offers me one movie at $9.95 then I would receive five certificates for free movies with that first disc. I'm at work, so I'm a little bored and I let this guy go with it. So he starts asking me what movies I like, and reading off titles and stars while I sit there, every so often saying "uh uh" or "nah".

Finally, he asks what I like, and I tell him I'd like some Doctor Who titles. He's clearly never heard of this, and takes a moment to look it up. Then he tells me those are catalog titles and I'd have to select them when I received my membership packet. If they're not going to give me what I want, why bother any further? I don't want any of the new releases, especially the shit he was trying to sell me ("Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of our biggest sellers"), so I had to hang up on him. What a dumb way to do business.