DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Should I pass on my free dvd offer?

Old 01-30-07, 11:28 AM

Should I pass on my free dvd offer?

I have a fulfilled account with an outstanding coupon for a free dvd because I purchased one back in December. That freebie expires at the end of this month (tomorrow). Trouble is, I can't think of any good way to use the free dvd coupon that would yield a net dvd price anywhere near to if I just rejoined again. I also received an email today saying that for today only I get 10% off my entire order.

Should I just let my free dvd offer expire?
Old 01-30-07, 11:51 AM

Yes. I am letting my expire. They are trying to fool you into thinking it is a deal. It isn't. There were B1G1 codes in December that a lot of us used to fulfill our accounts. To most of us who are looking for the lowest cost per DVD and who close re-open account after fulfilling, this is no deal...

Consider the 2 DVDs you would buy with this offer. Now, instead, close your account, open a new one, and get those 2 DVD either through the enrollment, or fullfillment...
Old 01-30-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used mine. The B1G1 free offers have been pretty scarce this month. Hopefully next month is better.
Old 01-30-07, 01:50 PM

i havent decided whether or not to use mine. Im leaning more toward not with the high shipping. So far the best deal i was able to find was getting 2 dvds for $10 but then with shipping it comes out to $15. Doesnt seem worth it
Old 01-30-07, 05:08 PM

I hadn't planned to use mine, but went ahead and used it to get the mispriced Almodovar collection and Saw III for about $31. This collection is the only reason I could see for using the free DVD offer. It isn't a good deal otherwise.
Old 01-30-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MickM
I have a fulfilled account with an outstanding coupon for a free dvd because I purchased one back in December. That freebie expires at the end of this month (tomorrow). Trouble is, I can't think of any good way to use the free dvd coupon that would yield a net dvd price anywhere near to if I just rejoined again. I also received an email today saying that for today only I get 10% off my entire order.

Should I just let my free dvd offer expire?
It really depends on just what you get. There are some decent deals to be had if you buy a title marked "This selection is not available as an enrollment selection or a sign-up-a-friend reward" and that title is a "Special Club Price $xx.xx no other purchase necessary" title. For example:

Black Adder I (and II, III, IV, V) are $11.97 and their purchase will allow you to get a $14.95 title free (I could not find a $19.98 that would work). With shipping it would come to $16.95. Do it with the 10% and you save another $1.20. Although it's not a great deal it works OK because of the "not available as free" purchase and, depending on the title combination, can be less expensive than the DDD 20% off sale. There are others that will allow you to get a $22.95 DVD with a purchase of a set as low as $16.17. Again, the overall is not great but can be OK.
Old 01-30-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I won't use my freebie.... But apparently CH doesn't want me to. My code doesn't work, even if I use the link from the email they sent. Very strange... But I don't really care...
Old 01-31-07, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I guess I won't use my freebie.... But apparently CH doesn't want me to. My code doesn't work, even if I use the link from the email they sent. Very strange... But I don't really care...
The same happened to me too....but tht maybe because I already placed a B1G1 order this month using a different code
Old 01-31-07, 10:08 AM

I went ahead and used mine to get tripping the rift for 17.99 and getting Mission Impossible 3:collectors edition for free. The only thing that sucked is the 7.99 shipping. Total came to 28.xx so not too bad
Old 01-31-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cziffra
I hadn't planned to use mine, but went ahead and used it to get the mispriced Almodovar collection and Saw III for about $31. This collection is the only reason I could see for using the free DVD offer. It isn't a good deal otherwise.
I made that exact same order to get teh Almodovar set for a gentleman on another forum who wanted it, and I for SAW 3 for myself
Old 01-31-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just now went ahead and used the code to get the Pedro Almodovar set and the pre-order for The Science of Sleep for $32.50.
Old 01-31-07, 11:32 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Picked up:

Criss Angel - Mindfreak Season 2 - $20.97 (Special Club Price)
World Trade Center Commerative Edition (2 disc) - FREE

Shipping = $7.98

Total =$28.95
Old 02-01-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I just now went ahead and used the code to get the Pedro Almodovar set and the pre-order for The Science of Sleep for $32.50.
I tried to make that same order yesterday and the code wouldn't work for me.