Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

CH: Free Shipping for a year (Buy 5 in 2 years)? [no code]

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 01-08-07, 08:36 PM

I received an email today giving me this offer: Free shipping for one year by agreeing to buy 5 DVDs at regular price over the next two years. The email states the offer is for preferred members and cannot be shared. The offer expires Jan 11.

Clicking on the link, I'm given this Membership Agreement:

NEW MEMBERSHIP COMMITMENT
By taking advantage of this great Free Shipping offer, you will get free shipping on all orders placed online for the next year. You agree to purchase 5 DVDs within 2 years at regular Club price (currently as low as $19.95 each). Video games, merchandise and FunCash(TM) orders do not qualify for this free shipping offer. This offer applies to our standard shipping and processing rates only.

If your account becomes overdue, or if you do not order and pay for 5 regular Club price selections within 2 years, or if you cancel your membership before fulfilling your purchase commitment, we will send you a reminder. If, thereafter, you do not fulfill your purchase commitment, we will bill you at the prevailing Club price for 5 selections, plus shipping and processing and any applicable sales tax.

And remember, here's how your Club membership works:
* You will receive your Club mailing about every 3 weeks (up to 21 times a year) announcing the Director's Selection, the hottest title of the month and promoting a special offer.
* If you want the Director's Selection, do nothing - it will be shipped to you automatically. If you don't want to receive the Director's Selection, simply check the appropriate box on your Order Card and mail it back to us so we receive it by the date specified. You will always have at least 10 days to decide. If you receive an unwanted Director's Selection, simply return it at our expense and we will credit your account. You can also respond by phone or online at our website.
* You may cancel your membership at any time after completing your purchase of 3 selections by contacting Customer Service.
* All other terms of your membership contained in your Membership Agreement remain the same.
* When you receive your 3 free DVDs, if you are not completely satisfied - for any reason - return the unopened DVDs at our expense with no further obligation.
OK - first off, let's discuss the strange membership agreement terms near the bottom. It states you can cancel the membership after purchasing 3, not 5 - likely a mistake, but these are T&C's that you're agreeing to here.

Next, the last statement indicates you get 3 free DVDs somehow, but it doesn't ever seem to indicate this anywhere else.

Alright, let's say those are errors and not honored by CH. Is this a good deal? Normally free shipping offers specifically exclude box sets, but this one doesn't. For purchasing the 5, you would couple those with a B1G1 offer + you wouldn't have to include shipping on all of the 60% off sales, clearance sales, etc. You'd also want to purchase the 5 in one year, so as to benefit from the free shipping.

Thoughts?
Old 01-08-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is this an offer for an already open account or a new account offer?

Anyway, the terms are totally wacked. Talks about free shipping for 1 year, but have 2 years to purchase 5, but then mentions purchasing 3 below and also getting 3 free.
No way would I agree to those sketchy terms!

As always, best deal is to just sign up with a regular 6/1 or 7/2 code and wait for a B1G1 and free shipping code to fulfill. Then cancel and repeat.
Old 01-08-07, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by basaro
Is this an offer for an already open account or a new account offer?
It's for an already open (and fulfilled) account; however, the agreement above would supersede your original one.
Old 01-08-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
It's for an already open (and fulfilled) account; however, the agreement above would supersede your original one.
It could work out to your favor.
If you tend to have an account open, look at your history over the past year. If you've bought more than 5 titles at regular price over that timeframe, then this might be of use to you. You could probably combine the free shipping deal with B1G1 code offers throughout the year, so you would only have to wait for those more common codes to come around versus the more rare B1G1 with Free Shipping codes.
This would probably be treated just like a regular membership, so anything over $19.95 should count toward the commitment(5 apparently), even boxsets, as usual. Whether this deal gives you free shipping on boxsets may be a deal maker/breaker. Free shipping on boxset sales combined with B1G1 offers always makes for some really good deals.
Old 01-08-07, 11:31 PM

i disagree - i don't think this could ever work out in your favor. this is for an already fulfilled account, therefore there is no cheap dvd's at the start. you would never, even with B1G1F deals get your average cost below ~$6 which is what most people here can achieve on a constant basis.

even assuming that there is a part missing there and you would get 3 free dvds at the start (or after fulfilling) of this account type - the math is still not in your favor even at a best case scenario:

5 titles at ~$20 each = $100
B1G1F code = 5 titles = $0
3 title bonus = $0

13 titles for ~$100 = $7.69 per title

the only advantage to this would be that none of these titles would have to be enrollment titles, so if you needed to catch up on newer stuff fast, for an extra cost and most likely a hassle (with this being a new/unconventional membership) i don't see the benefit for you.

Now if this were a standard signup / fulfillment package, where you get more movies upfront - then it could be good. I would sign up for this as a 7/5 free shipping with the 7th at 9.99....

then the math looks like:

7 enrollment titles = ~$13
5 fulfillment titles = ~$100
5 B1G1F titles = $0

17 titles for $113 = 6.64 per title - not the lowest, but much more acceptable

add to that the possibility of fufilling with sets, the average price would go up, but the free shipping on sets and possibly getting 2 credits at once may be lucrative.

just my opinion on this...