DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Question for anyone with new membership approval?

Old 01-05-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Question for anyone with new membership approval?

I'm just curious. Has anyone applied for new CH membership recently using one of the saving code and has been approved?

I applied twice recently. One in November and one in December. I've received confirmation email but didn't receive any followup email. I've applied many times in the past without any problem. I always get the approval email a few days after the application. This is the first time that I've not gotten any approval from them.

I'm just curious if other people are having luck applying for new account recently. Please let me know the date you applied, how long to receive the approval email, and the code you use.

Does anyone know if CH has a black list? Is it possible I'm on their black list for some reason? In my previous accounts, I've always paid everything on time and close all my account when I fulfill the membership requirement. So I'm not sure why my most recently 2 applications hasn't been approved.
Old 01-05-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I signed up for a TV Club account using the HDL link on 12/26. I got the approval e-mail on the 28th, and my package on the 2nd. I was considering trying for a new DVD membership today, so I will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-05-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i've signed up 3 times since mid november and each time got confirmation emails but no approval emails... so don't feel bad, you're not alone.
Old 01-05-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, Columbia House has a "blacklist". But if you are on it you would have received a letter saying that your accounts were being closed due to a "business decision".

After one has had more than a few accounts it is routine for new account applications to be "lost". Usually they disappear without a trace. Sometimes you get a polite letter saying that they can't open an account for you at this time. If you call in with the account number on the letter many have reported being able to get the new account reinstated.

In the past, on-line applications had the greatest tendency to become "lost" and phone orders had a high acceptance rate (but there is only one good code that works on the phone). However, my last attempt at a phone enrollment last July was turned down so not even phone applications always work.

It is hard to know what criteria CH is using to accept or deny applications. But those with lots of previous accounts have been having trouble with getting new ones approved for some years now. It is helpful to use a code that requires a credit card so that one can look for a charge on the account. If there is no charge after a couple of weeks it is likely that the application was not approved.
Old 01-05-07, 03:57 PM

Twice got the first e-mail but nothing since. First early Dec and 2nd account last week.
Old 01-05-07, 04:27 PM

I applied online recently with the "bill me" option. Received the auto-confirmation e-mail, but nothing after that. Then about two weeks later, just as I was about to assume mine was one of the infamously 'lost' applications, my intro package arrived. Two days after that, I got word that it had shipped. Go figure.

So based on that I'd say to wait the December app out a while longer.
Old 01-05-07, 04:36 PM

Do you remember which code did you use?
Old 01-05-07, 11:20 PM

I applied 3 days ago and got the welcome to the club e-mail today. I used c7l as the code and this is my first app. since 10/25.
Old 01-05-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes I have also applied and not gotten a followup (except for confirmation) since nov.
Does anyone know of any good 7:2 9.95 that can be used on the phone?
Old 01-07-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ At last report, EBP still worked on the phone.
Old 01-07-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just had my first regular DVD Club account approved in almost a year. I used code 43T and did use a credit card. Got the acceptance e-mail in three days. So, it does happen.

Kind of surprised me to get accepted.
Old 01-09-07, 12:20 PM

Still no approval but they did send me a e-mail every other day - saying they me want back.

Maybe they are only approving those accounts which need 2 titles for fulfillment.
Old 01-10-07, 09:21 AM

Which code did you use? I used K7L in November and EBP in December. K7L require 1 titles for fulfillment and EBP has 2 titles fulfillment. I haven't gotten approval for either code.
Old 01-10-07, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by mookiemeister
Which code did you use? I used K7L in November and EBP in December. K7L require 1 titles for fulfillment and EBP has 2 titles fulfillment. I haven't gotten approval for either code.
I used the K7L code both times
Old 01-10-07, 06:03 PM

I just got a new TV edition approved using HDL. I have a current DVD Club membership and have never applied for the TV before. It was done online Sun evening. I got an almost immediate email reply and my Welcome to the club one today.
Old 01-10-07, 08:53 PM
Suspended

anyone know if you can use a former PSN number more than once??
Old 01-11-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

my advice is to apply via phone with EBP. my 2 attempts online from december were apparently lost but i applied yesterday via phone and now have 2 holds from CH on my credit card (which means i'm accepted). it would be wise to get the ID #'s for all the dvds you want so that you won't end up with full screen or non-special editions etc. from now on i'm only applying via phone.
Old 01-11-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've applied TWICE now and been waiting for weeks and what pisses me off is that CH have 2 holds on my credit card and still no approval.plus, i contacted them regarding the first attempt and they said we've lost your account but they STILL have the first hold on my credit card and they said they will release that sooon...and i think it's been 3 weeks since they said that and still my cardit card statement shows the hold.
Old 01-11-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gigantopithecus
anyone know if you can use a former PSN number more than once??
Any old account number can be used as a PSN and they can be used any number of times. A PSN just shows Columbia House that you have been a member before.
Old 01-11-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
my advice is to apply via phone with EBP. my 2 attempts online from december were apparently lost but i applied yesterday via phone and now have 2 holds from CH on my credit card (which means i'm accepted). it would be wise to get the ID #'s for all the dvds you want so that you won't end up with full screen or non-special editions etc. from now on i'm only applying via phone.
This is good advice. But be aware that even applying by phone doesn't always work (I received a rejection letter on a phone app last July).

And, yes, everyone applying on the phone please DO write down the selection numbers of the DVDs you want. Not only does it make the ordering process much easier for both you and the CSR, it reduces the chance of not getting the version of the DVD you wanted. And, while you are at it, have at least one extra selection number at hand in case a title you want is out of stock.

The phone number for phone applications is 888-242-3837.
Old 01-17-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ouch, they didn't even send me a confirmatin of my last app, just a temp charge that dissapeared in a few days
Old 01-18-07, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

two accounts approved via phone on 1/11 and 1/12
Old 02-02-07, 12:09 AM

I applied 1-16 & called CH the other day. They said to email the same email that I got as a confirmation or [email protected]. I did, they emailed back in 2-3 days asking for my name and address. (If you do this, you may want to provide that first) I replied yesterday and am still waiting. ...I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-02-07, 10:11 AM

I applied online on 1/26 using code K7Q. Never got a confirmation email, but got accepted on 1/30. Fastest approval ever for me.
Old 02-02-07, 02:48 PM
Suspended

i applied today using the K7Q code, i got a confirmation email immediately. we'll see what happens.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.