DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Clubs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs-13/)
-   -   Almodovar COllection $20.97 @ CH (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/486733-almodovar-collection-%2420-97-%40-ch.html)

zombeaner 12-15-06 07:05 AM

Almodovar COllection $20.97 @ CH

Seems like everyone is having super low prices on this at the beginning, I may have to order this as an extra, maybe I'll give it to my Dad as a gift.... As soon as my last app gets approved, I'll use it to buy this and fulfill.

New Rambler 12-15-06 07:40 AM

Wow, will give it a shot. Will any free shipping codes work on a set?

icecube 12-15-06 10:43 AM

Hmmm, have never seen any of his movies. Anyone want to suggest which one I should Blockbuster first?

legend42 12-15-06 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by icecube
Hmmm, have never seen any of his movies. Anyone want to suggest which one I should Blockbuster first?

His latest cycle of films (from Live Flesh to Volver) are probably his most accessible. I'd start with All About My Mother or Live Flesh to find out if he does it for you. If you like comedy, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (which you might find at Blockbuster) was his first big crossover hit and still a favorite of many. If those suit your taste, immediately move on to Talk to Her, which is just staggeringly beautiful.

His older films are mostly smaller-scale pieces (a lot more satire and general weirdness) but certainly worth checking out. A lot of Spaniards still prefer those, and think he has sold out to Oscar-hunting and wide distribution with his recent projects. But isn't that always the case...

pacificmatt 12-15-06 05:18 PM

inconsistency

OK, the set at CH says it has 9 discs, but only includes four films. Over at Amazon, there is a 9 disc set coming out on 1/30 that includes 8 films at sells for $80.

If I order the "9 disc"/"4 film" set at CH, what are the chances it would turn out to be the $80 set at Amazon? If it is, then the $24 CH is asking for is a steal.

zombeaner 12-15-06 08:14 PM

There is no 4 disc set on the horizon. This is the same boxset that has had mispricing errors all over the internet. I'm going to try to get it on it before they correct it though, just waiting for my last app to be approved.

Brent L 12-15-06 08:20 PM

This is a bloody fantastic deal, especially when you use the BOGO code and get a free DVD when you buy this set.

icecube 12-15-06 08:33 PM

Thanks legend!

Originally Posted by legend42
His latest cycle of films (from Live Flesh to Volver) are probably his most accessible. I'd start with All About My Mother or Live Flesh to find out if he does it for you. If you like comedy, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (which you might find at Blockbuster) was his first big crossover hit and still a favorite of many. If those suit your taste, immediately move on to Talk to Her, which is just staggeringly beautiful.

His older films are mostly smaller-scale pieces (a lot more satire and general weirdness) but certainly worth checking out. A lot of Spaniards still prefer those, and think he has sold out to Oscar-hunting and wide distribution with his recent projects. But isn't that always the case...

Mosskeeto 12-15-06 09:31 PM

#1-Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown
#2-Talk To Her
#3-Live Flesh
I haven't seen All About My Mother but with all the awards it won it should be in the top 4.

pacificmatt 12-16-06 03:39 AM

well I just ordered the set using a BOGO email...we'll see if I actually get it or not, or if they decide to raise the price to match everything else I am seeing out there.

icecube 12-16-06 12:21 PM

Thanks Moss! Blockbuster Online doesn't have Women On The Verge, and Netflix says: "This movie has not been released on DVD." Would I have to pick this up on VHS somewhere??

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
#1-Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown
#2-Talk To Her
#3-Live Flesh
I haven't seen All About My Mother but with all the awards it won it should be in the top 4.

sotra 12-16-06 12:36 PM

Thanks OP! I couldn't resist:

The Pedro Almodovar Collection (Pre-Order) 04387502W $20.97
Release Date is 01/30/2007. This item will be shipped separately.
Hearts & Minds: The Criterion Collection 03639002W Free

Subtotal 20.97

Shipping & Processing 7.99

Tax FREE

Total 28.96

And if they cancel the order I'll have a free Criterion out of it! :)

Mosskeeto 12-16-06 01:52 PM

Thanks Moss! Blockbuster Online doesn't have Women On The Verge, and Netflix says: "This movie has not been released on DVD." Would I have to pick this up on VHS somewhere??

It's definitely on DVD but looks like it's OOP. Try your local library if you have access to a large system. Seems like a good reason to re-release it in the new boxset.

animatedude 12-16-06 01:58 PM

iam tempted to join CH just for this deal but i've checked other threads about how to join CH blah blah but it's just too much.anyone care to show me in steps what should i do?

icecube 12-16-06 06:27 PM

Man, there used to be an awesome "Columbia House Strategy Guide" started by I don't remember who that used to be in this forum. I'm surprised it was never stickied. I did a fairly thorough search just now and couldn't find it. Maybe too old.

Anyway here's a short version:

1) Choose a good code from the CH Enrollment Codes Part II thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=480475 Lowest average dvd price = 7 enrollment + 2 regular price to fullfill

So Enroll with 7 DVDs (6 @ 49 cents each + a 7th at $9.95 to lower your fulfillments to 2).

2) Wait for a Buy 1 Get 1 Free offer to show up in your account before fulfilling. If you're very patient, you'll wait for the same offer + free shipping on your entire order (or watch the threads here as members post the codes for these offers).

3) Buy 2 DVDs at regular price and receive 2 Free, hopefully with free shipping. You might have to split this into 2 orders of 2 DVDs each, or you may be able to do it all in one order, depends on the code. If you can fit it all into one order, be sure to utilize the $5 off $30 first order discount that you will see in the e-mail that welcomes you to the Club.

4) Close your account, rinse, repeat.

Or if you are interested in TV sets to enroll, you can join the CH TV Club using code HDL to get 2 TV sets for $9.95 and then have 2 fulfillments (can be regular DVD movies, not sets, so you can fulfill 1 with the Almodovar Collection). Good value there. Here's the thread: TV EDITION - Available For Enrollment List http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=416578

Did I miss anything guys?

Originally Posted by animatedude
iam tempted to join CH just for this deal but i've checked other threads about how to join CH blah blah but it's just too much.anyone care to show me in steps what should i do?

starman9000 12-16-06 08:26 PM

]

Pretty good job.

Probably good to note that after you apply it may take a week or even more before you find out if you got in. Don't get worried about that, but it may cause the deal on this set to be gone by the time one gets access to order.

zombeaner 12-16-06 09:30 PM

I found this through a BOGO link, and while I'd already ordered this via amazon @$23.99, I took advantage of the link to pull this off:

Product Title Selection # Price
V for Vendetta Special Edition 04450409W Free
This Film not Yet Rated (Pre-Order) 04598009W $11.48
Release Date is 01/23/2007. This item will be shipped separately.
Brokeback Mountain Collector's Edition (Pre-Order) 04611802W $22.95
Subtotal 34.43
Shipping & Processing FREE
Tax 2.84
Total 37.27

Pretty decent, I thought, since it doesn't appear that the V For Vendetta 2 disc will ever be an enrollment selection

sotra 12-16-06 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by zombeaner
I found this through a BOGO link, and while I'd already ordered this via amazon @$23.99, I took advantage of the link to pull this off:

Product Title Selection # Price
V for Vendetta Special Edition 04450409W Free
This Film not Yet Rated (Pre-Order) 04598009W $11.48
Brokeback Mountain Collector's Edition (Pre-Order) 04611802W $22.95
Subtotal 34.43
Shipping & Processing FREE
Tax 2.84
Total 37.27

Pretty decent, I thought, since it doesn't appear that the V For Vendetta 2 disc will ever be an enrollment selection

You could've done 2 separate orders and got one more free DVD since the Almodovar collection qualified you for one free DVD up to a $34.95 value and the Brokeback Mountain qualified for a free DVD up to a $24.95 value (that V for Vendetta CE was). Just an FYI for future reference :)

zombeaner 12-16-06 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by sotra
You could've done 2 separate orders and got one more free DVD since the Almodovar collection qualified you for one free DVD up to a $34.95 value and the Brokeback Mountain qualified for a free DVD up to a $24.95 value (that V for Vendetta CE was). Just an FYI for future reference :)

Yeah but I ended up not getting the Almodovar Collection. Brokeback Mountain qualified me to get V For Vendetta free, and the third was to get free shipping. Of course if I were smart I would've chosen a $3.98 title. But hey, I can get one of those for $0.49 next go 'round

animatedude 12-17-06 04:38 PM

ok thanks for your help guys...i think i'll try this tomorrow or so.but i was thinking what should i get? i've checked their website for some titles in my list like The Mothman prophacies SE and People Vs Larry Flynt SE but they are not there.but i'll probably get:Glory SE, The Remains of the Day SE...what else i should get? and do their SEs DVDs like Boyz N The Hood SE come with the slipcase?

blaze1984 12-17-06 05:08 PM

$5 web discount doesn't work anymore, unless something changed in the last 2-3 days

basaro 12-18-06 06:44 AM

Boxset sale is over, so price is back up a little to $24.47. I was gonna order this last night, but was too tired and fell asleep :(

Still a steal though, considering the set will retail for around $80! :eek:

n.phelge 12-18-06 08:15 AM

I didn't get a BOGO email, but I did get a 10% off email this morning. When I click through that link, the base price of the set is reset to the previous $20.97 price (logging in manually gives the $24.47 price), plus 10% off, giving a final price of $18.88. The $8 shipping and handling puts a dent in things, giving a final price of $29 with tax, but that is still the cheapest price out there and a bargain for 8 films + a bonus disc. I'm in.

Thanks OP

basaro 12-18-06 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by n.phelge
I didn't get a BOGO email, but I did get a 10% off email this morning. When I click through that link, the base price of the set is reset to the previous $20.97 price (logging in manually gives the $24.47 price), plus 10% off, giving a final price of $18.88. The $8 shipping and handling puts a dent in things, giving a final price of $29 with tax, but that is still the cheapest price out there and a bargain for 8 films + a bonus disc. I'm in.

Thanks OP

Any chance you know the savings code for that email? I didn't get one, as usual.

icecube 12-18-06 08:39 AM

My e-mail says By Invitation Only, but I pulled the code and it worked on my other account where I didn't get the e-mail: