DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Buy 1, Get 1 Free + Free Shipping if you buy 3 or more

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDMagic
I too received the same emails.

I closed out a couple of accounts and took care of Christmas at the same time, so that worked out for me.

I know there's a limit on the same title they can ship, can anyone tell me what it is? I ordered 3 copies of 'Clerks 2', one for myself and 2 for Christmas presents. I'm thinking that would probably be ok
The generally accepted "rule of thumb" is 3... however CH is more forgiving during the Christmas season to allow gift purchases.
Old 11-18-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The generally accepted "rule of thumb" is 3... however CH is more forgiving during the Christmas season to allow gift purchases.
I always thought that the rule was 2. You're definitely correct about CH allowing multiple copies to be purchased during the holidays.
Old 11-18-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=basaro
There aren't too many 24.95 titles, maybe I can guess what they are?
Lord of War and Harry Potter?
QUOTE]

Yep, those are the ones I was trying - as well aas the DaVinci Code SE, in which case the second one was coming up half price not free.

I tried to force it to count one towards the commtment - it said "You have added 1 more dvd towards your commitment. You are one step closer to fulfilling your commitment and becoming a preferred member!' but it didn't change the price at all or show any commitment.

Last edited by NCYankee; 11-18-06 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-18-06, 02:35 PM

how often do deals like the buy 1 get 2 free (if you include munich and just like heaven) come around???

does it make sense for me to fullfil all my accounts right now using this deal?

right now i have 4 more to buy, this seems like it might not be a bad time to do it
Old 11-18-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's a small tip that might help someone out there. If you have to buy 3 titles to get free shipping and you only want two, select "Talk to Her" as the third title. CH ran out of this DVD, but has yet to remove it from the website. Checkout with it in your cart, and "Talk to Her" will mysteriously drop out of your order a few days later, leaving the rest of your order with free shipping.
Old 11-18-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

SFranke^
Good point. Other titles that CH has run out of are WOW(LE) and The Third Man(CC). Those should produce the same result. WOW(LE) is also on sale.

This might mess up some people's accounts if they attempt to get it fixed before it has a chance to work itself out (like funcash and billing amount errors). If something looks wonky in your account or order history, just wait a week, it will most likely fix itself. A lot more problems can arise when people are impatient and call too soon to try to fix it.
Old 11-19-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blaze1984
how often do deals like the buy 1 get 2 free (if you include munich and just like heaven) come around???

does it make sense for me to fullfil all my accounts right now using this deal?

right now i have 4 more to buy, this seems like it might not be a bad time to do it
The deal really wasn't B1G2F but it did have a quirk that allowed a lower price title to qualify for a free higher price title. This is unusual, but not unprecedented. However, there will likely be more conventional B1G1F and free shipping deals offered in the coming weeks. But, yes, you might want to try to take advantage of this deal if you can.

If you have four to purchase you clearly did not use one of the better enrollment codes that we use here. In the future, you should enroll with one of the codes in the enrollment code thread stickied to the top of the forum.

If there are any expensive box sets you want, they will qualify for multiple fulfillment credits and let you get a free DVD also (but no free shipping on sets).

Don't forget, when placing an order over $30, to get the $5 discount. The direct links no longer seem to work but if you access your account through a previous order e-mail or a Director's Selection decline e-mail it has been reported that the discount will appear.

(Since this is all a bit complicated, if you have any question about how it all works, ask and someone here will try to help.)
Old 11-20-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I just got off the phone with a CSR in an attempt to get the Harry Potter and Lord of War SE's with the B1G1 free sale - I had to pay $7.48 for the Dazed and Confused flashback ed (instead of the $5.98 showing up online) to get free shipping, but he gave me the $5 off first time order so it came to $27.50 all together - wish me luck that it actually goes through.
Old 11-20-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I placed a separate order online for my second commitment .

Superman Returns SE (pre-order) $22.95
King Kong SE free
Star Trek Generations SCE $5.98 (didn't have this one - there are a few decent SEs under this special)

I opted not to do the $14.95 6th enrollment disc, hoping to use a good sale to fulfill. My average price for this member ship was $5.32, vs $5.04 if I had used the $14.95 6th enrollment - of course, I could have had a lower price by sticking to $19.95 titles to fulfill - but I ended up with 4 $24.95 SE's which were not available as enrollments, so I am pretty happy.

To compare - instead of choosing an enrollment selection for $15.44 (shipped), I fulfilled with this order for $28.93 - so not a bad deal I think.

Last edited by NCYankee; 11-20-06 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-21-06, 03:38 PM

Are these codes dead for anyone else besides myself?

xpfshost
Old 11-21-06, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by xpfshost
Are these codes dead for anyone else besides myself?

xpfshost
these codes were to be ended on 11/17 then extended through Monday, 11/20.

And yes, they are officially dead now.

I still have B1G1 free plus 60% off others plus Free shipping shown on the top in one of fulfilled my accounts, though. I'll see how long this gonna last.
Old 11-21-06, 04:01 PM
Suspended

the b1g1 free plus 60% off code is now dead.
Old 11-22-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Actually the rule is 5. As I understand they dont moniter it during Christmas, but you may get blacklisted if you do it often during the rest of the year.
Old 11-23-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While one can buy five of a single title in an order, buying more than two of a title over all one's accounts is not recommended, due to the possibility of being blacklisted, as BKenn01 says. Except around Christmas, when buying multiple copies as gifts is expected.

Columbia House doesn't like it if you buy the same few high value titles over and over because they will assume that you are selling, which is a violation of their membership agreement. They will then make a "business decision" to close your accounts and refuse to let you open new ones. So, to be safe, we recommend that you limit yourself to no more than two copies, except on rare occasions.

Can you buy more than that? Yes, you can, and some have done it for many, many accounts before finally getting shut down by Columbia House. Since most of us here like getting inexpensive DVDs from CH, we try not to do anything that is known to cause them to refuse us new accounts. Others may do as they please. But you have been warned.