Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Anyone know why CH dvds do not come properly sealed?

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 10-17-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if you other guys have had issues with this but everyone of my purchases from CH are not sealed with stickers nor do they come with the slipcases. I could care less about the slipcases but my concern is the fact that I may be getting charged new prices for a used dvd. Could anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.
Old 10-18-06, 12:55 AM
Banned

Some dvds come with security seals, others don't. The rationale is that these are mail-order dvds that aren't for retail and therefore don't need seals. There's a risk that CH could dump a "used" title off on you (sort of like when EB Games, Gamestop, etc. would take back opened games, re-shrinkwrap them and sell them as new with the seals mysteriously missing), but if you're just getting titles when they first come out, there's nothing to worry about.

As for slipcases, there's no rhyme or reason why some come with and some come without at CH.
Old 10-18-06, 06:06 AM

but my concern is the fact that I may be getting charged new prices for a used dvd
Im sorry, but that made me laugh. If youre doing this right, you should be paying around $6 a DVD. How much would you like to pay for a "used" one ?
Old 10-18-06, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ITALIAN926
Im sorry, but that made me laugh. If youre doing this right, you should be paying around $6 a DVD. How much would you like to pay for a "used" one ?
Well, they are a bargain because they're supposedly new DVDs. It's not so much of a bargain if they're used. I don't believe I've ever gotten a used one but it is a legitmate concern.
Old 10-18-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^This has been an often asked question over the years. Yes, the DVDs from Columbia House are new and the same as the ones you buy in a store. No, they aren't re-wrapped or used, except for an occasional, rare, warehouse mistake when a return gets mixed in with the new stock. (Returns used to be sold to CH employees, I don't know what they do with them now.)

Some studios supply Columbia House with DVDs that don't have title or security stickers, because they aren't necessary for a mail order company (probably saves them a few cents per DVD to leave off the stickers and the security scanner device inside the package). Most studios just supply the same packaging that goes to B&M stores rather than make a separate manufacturing run for mail order companies.

If you make a study of it, you will discover that the DVDs without stickers come from the same few studios. (I recall that Miramax used to be one, but CH no longer sells Disney/Miramax DVDs.)

By the way, UPC codes sometimes differ depending on what type of security device, if any, is included in the packaging. If you have ever wondered why there are several different UPC codes listed for seemingly identical DVD releases, that's why: different packaging and security devices.
Old 10-18-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do think that CH does send out rewrapped, used DVDs on rare occasions. When you first join, they give you 10 days to preview your DVDs. If you're not satisfied, you can send the enrollment package back and opt out of the club. CH will then rewrap these DVDs and send them back out.

I'm almost positive that I've gotten a few used DVDs in the past. However, they were in perfect shape and considering the overall great deal of CH, I can live with the occasional rewrapped DVD.
Old 10-18-06, 02:14 PM

I'be never seen any used dvd from them for the last three years. Thanks for sharing this info.
Old 10-20-06, 07:27 PM

I also noticed that not all of my dvds came with inserts. It may just be the studio. I haven't actually compared them with store releases to see if they came with them. Some just dont...I guess.
Old 10-20-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I once got a rewrapped DVD case. You could tell it was shrinkwrapped with a different kind of plastic and when I removed that there was still a small portion (different cellophane plastic) around the bottom of the case. It still had the security sticker across the top and the disc and case were in mint condition.

Really wasn't bothered by it -- still looked new to me.