Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Where are these titles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Where are these titles?

Any ideas why these titles are not on the site yet?

Ace Ventura: Deluxe Double Feature (Warner) released on 9/5/2006

Julius Caesar (Warner) released 11/7/2006

The Fountainhead (Warner) released 11/7/2006

Holiday Inn (SE) (Universal) released 10/10/2006

Edit to add:

A Fish Called Wanda (MGM) released 11/21/2006

Are these more examples of Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier (which took a week or two after release to finally show up on the site)? What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is Columbia House up to now? Are there more examples of new releases not showing up even after release dates pass from studios that CH normally carries?

Last edited by Bill Needle; 11-22-06 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-06-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard rumor new "Blade Runner" 2-3 Disc edition coming soon.
Old 09-06-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
I heard rumor new "Blade Runner" 2-3 Disc edition coming soon.
That's not coming out until some time in 2007(the 25th anniversary) if then(there's a rumor that this set might get delayed until 2008). My gut tells me that BR will be like Apocalypse Now and will show up on the site in another week or two.
Old 09-06-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And another one... I thought Broken Trail might show up once released, as Sony items seem to do. Unfortunately, I don't find it on the site.
Old 09-06-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Easy
And another one... I thought Broken Trail might show up once released, as Sony items seem to do. Unfortunately, I don't find it on the site.
Same with Gojira (Godzilla), which is also a Sony title. Come on CH
Old 09-18-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

CH still doesn't have SKoWonderful, but check this thread for a great deal on it and PIP from amazon.
Also great deals on some of the Mel Brooks stuff for $7.97 which CH will never have.
Don't forget Ace Ventura too for $12.87.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=477011

Last edited by basaro; 09-18-06 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-18-06, 09:39 AM

the individual releases of the James Stewart and Ronald Reagan Signature collections, such as The Naked Spur, The Spirit of St. Louis and Kings Row, haven't shown up either
Old 09-19-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was expecting them to add This Island Earth, a Universal title, but they still haven't. I hope they aren't purposing overlooking releases of catalog titles and focusing on new releases from theaters, that will definitely limit my selections.
Old 10-02-06, 07:04 PM

Some Kind Of Wonderful and PIP are on sale at DDD in their B1G1 Paramount sale. Get both for only $9.44 shipped. There is a discussion about the sale in the bargains thread.
Old 10-02-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks much for the heads up. Now if only Ace Ventura and Blade Runner would show up.
Old 10-06-06, 12:53 PM

I tried looking for x-men 3 in widescreen, and they don't have it listed. they dont even have the box set listed as of yet. do they even carry fox titles or are they slow in getting them?
Old 10-06-06, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by avrilfan
I tried looking for x-men 3 in widescreen, and they don't have it listed. they dont even have the box set listed as of yet. do they even carry fox titles or are they slow in getting them?
They don't have the old x-men movies either...I'd guess they aren't going to get it in.
Old 10-06-06, 01:15 PM
Banned

^ They stopped carrying Fox titles a long time ago.

As for Blade Runner, I would see no reason to get the latest release when another uber edition is coming out next year.
Old 10-06-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Legolas

As for Blade Runner, I would see no reason to get the latest release when another uber edition is coming out next year.
Because I don't want to wait until next year.
Old 10-06-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not all that concerned about the next super-duper release of Blade Runner. I certainly enjoy the film, but am not fanatical about it. I mostly want the improved transfer. And if CH carried it, I could get it for about $5. I doubt I would be able to get the next release for anywhere near that.
Old 10-07-06, 07:41 AM

4576203 Some Kind Of Wonderful (Special Collector's Edition) is now on the site.
Old 10-07-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by basaro
4576203 Some Kind Of Wonderful (Special Collector's Edition) is now on the site.
Wonder why the month-long delay?
Old 10-09-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Needle

Blade Runner: DC (Warner) released on 9/5/2006
Blade Runner is now on the site-#4570602.
Old 11-08-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So now joining Ace Ventura we can add the seperate release of Julius Caesar (from the Brando box set that includes Mutiny on the Bounty, both of which are available) and The Fountainhead to the list of new Warner titles not found at CH.
Old 11-08-06, 11:44 PM

I understand it is a matter of taste, but many fans of Blade Runner want to see the original theatrical release, with the voice-overs by Harrison Ford. Ridley Scott took out that narration and made a few other quick cuts for the home video "director's cut" but clearly it was in many ways a minor effort at revision. The "ultimate edition" that is coming next year (I hope) will have Ridley's full-fledged re-edit, plus the original theatrical version for those like me who consider that definitive.

If you truly love the "director's cut" that's been floating around since VHS days, then obviously this new release is the one for you. But in the interest of full disclosure, so people will know they are not getting what they saw in the theater, I offer this caveat. Actually, the movie did poorly in its theatrical release, but I count myself one of the lucky few who saw it on the big screen.
Old 11-09-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So other than the narration, what do you consider the major differences that exist between the existing Director's Cut and the theatrical release? I admit I remember little about seeing it theatrically, and have only seen it maybe once or twice since then on home video. I have been waiting for a new release to dip my toe into this movie again, but am still undecided on which version to get. But once the DC becomes an enrollment title in a few more weeks, how can I pass it up for the equivalent of $5?
Old 11-09-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's another title I don't know why they are not carrying: the new release of Holiday Inn (Universal)
Old 11-09-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Here's another title I don't know why they are not carrying: the new release of Holiday Inn (Universal)
Bill, it's been a real mystery as to what CH may or may not carry. I too was waiting for the new Julius Ceasar release, so now I'll be going for the full Brando set instead (somewhat grudgingly). There was no sign of a pre-order for Flower Drum Song, but that showed up on release day (past Tuesday). And yet, no Oh, What a Lovely War.

And still no Motion Picture Masterpieces Collection (or individual titles in the set), nor Hollywood Legends of Horror Collection, which were released several weeks ago. I finally broke down and bought them online after waiting for a few weeks.

Classic releases really seem to be hit-or-miss with CH these days.
Old 11-10-06, 10:47 AM

So other than the narration, what do you consider the major differences that exist between the existing Director's Cut and the theatrical release? I admit I remember little about seeing it theatrically, and have only seen it maybe once or twice since then on home video. I have been waiting for a new release to dip my toe into this movie again, but am still undecided on which version to get. But once the DC becomes an enrollment title in a few more weeks, how can I pass it up for the equivalent of $5?

I have only seen the Director's Cut -- the one now being rereleased -- once. I was so disappointed in it, I have not wanted to see it again. There are two major differences between the theatrical release and this director's cut, as far as I know -- the Harrison Ford narration (deadpan, monotone, harking back to noir films), and as I recall the "happy ending" is removed. I put that in quotes because I don't consider it a happy ending, rather maybe slightly hopeful but uncertain. Also a few shots of more extreme violence were added, but this is not significant. I think the narration was removed because Ridley Scott has this strange conception that Deckard is himself, ironically, an android. The narration destroys that illusion, if there was any question. I've read the book. Deckard is not an android. LOL. Directors don't *always* know what is best for their films. When Scott went over budget, other parties contractually wrested control of the movie from him and made changes in the theatrical cut -- including narration -- for the better, as I see it.

Granted it is only $5, but I don't want to see Director's Cut again even once. For me it is pointless. This is not a true director's cut. It is a few slapdash changes the director made for home video. If you want to see his ultimate conception, you'll have to wait for the big ultimate set. This release is nothing more than a quick cash grab, IMO -- an attempt to sell them something that will quickly be surpassed next year, and force another purchase.
Old 11-13-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the detailed response. Based on it, I've decided to wait.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.