Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Strategies for getting accepted

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strategies for getting accepted

Can any longtime members share strategies for getting apps accepted? It seems completely arbitrary, but I'm wondering if there are steps I can take to improve my odds. I've used new credit cards, tweaked my address, name, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Hard to tell why/why not. I ask because this is the time of year i generally try to knock out some Christmas shoping (yeah, I'm a nut) and DVDs always make great gifts.
Old 08-29-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
The main thing mentioned around here is that phone applications are more likely to go through then web applications. Besides that, I don't think there's anything you can do but hope it goes through!
Old 08-29-06, 02:40 PM
Banned

Interesting, I've never tried a phone application. May be worth a shot.
Old 08-29-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've asked before, but have never seen an answer. What are the phone only enrollment titles these days?
Old 08-29-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ I have a thread that covers phone-only titles a little bit. Feel free to check it out and offer any changes that need to be made. The phone-only titles haven't been updated since BMG took over.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=467827

My strategy for getting accepted is to apply over the phone and not get too greedy
Old 08-29-06, 04:19 PM
Banned

Phone may be the way to go...after my current account, I plan to wait until mid-November and dom some crazy Christmas shopping.
Old 08-30-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With phone enrollments please bear in mind that most of the good enrollment codes no longer work. Last I heard, only EBP and similar codes were accepted on the phone (888-242-3837).

(This is for the regular DVD club. For the TV Edition Club there is no known good phone code. 800-861-9505.)

Given the difficulty in getting new accounts, you might want to not wait until mid November before trying to enroll. Assuming you know what titles you want to buy, of course.
Old 08-30-06, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lizard
With phone enrollments please bear in mind that most of the good enrollment codes no longer work. Last I heard, only EBP and similar codes were accepted on the phone (888-242-3837).

(This is for the regular DVD club. For the TV Edition Club there is no known good phone code. 800-861-9505.)

Given the difficulty in getting new accounts, you might want to not wait until mid November before trying to enroll. Assuming you know what titles you want to buy, of course.

That's a good point too...maybe I'll do mid-October, just to make sure I get them in time.
Old 08-30-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can only offer anecdotal advice, so it could be coincidental. I try to keep it simple (enroll-fulfill-close) and I don't call them to complain. I try to avoid stacking codes other than a free-shipping code. Web discount mistake, I take the $5 dollar lost. Fun cash fiascos, I don't bother with any calls. etc...

My applications get approved within 72 hours. I use the same Name, CC, and address. I do alternate e-mails for my record keeping. I've cycled too many accounts to count anymore, and I always have two accounts open. There was a time back in OCT-DEC of 2004 (or was it 2003) that I had some trouble getting new accounts.
Old 08-30-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've had a few accounts take awhile to get opened. I do pretty much everything that island007 has said, all I can add is that you probably have a better chance entering your credit card info right from the enrollment screen.
Old 08-30-06, 02:22 PM
Banned

I definitely always enter CC info when enrolling, my hope being that their thought process is, "Well, it's money in hand, one less thing to worry about."
Old 08-30-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never give them my credit card info at enrollment time. In fact, I'm not paying for much of anything at CH unless I have the product in my hands.
Old 08-30-06, 04:48 PM

My guess is that it is based on any credit application process. They look at your past credit history and if you have a deceint FICO score they will approve or deny. They are assuming a small risk but a risk none the less. Just a guess.

I always give a credit card. It is a sign of good faith on my behalf and shows that I want in their club. Worst case is that you can dispute charges if anything ever happened. Over the past few years I have yet to have a problem that a helpfull CSR could not fix.

Miles
Old 08-30-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by miles2912
My guess is that it is based on any credit application process. They look at your past credit history and if you have a deceint FICO score they will approve or deny. They are assuming a small risk but a risk none the less. Just a guess.

I always give a credit card. It is a sign of good faith on my behalf and shows that I want in their club. Worst case is that you can dispute charges if anything ever happened. Over the past few years I have yet to have a problem that a helpfull CSR could not fix.

Miles
Actually, I strongly doubt your credit score has any effect on getting accepted. I check my credit report every few months and there has never been any sign of CH pulling my credit report. And I've heard that getting in trouble with CH has zero effect on your credit rating.
Old 08-30-06, 08:15 PM

What's the deal with the EBP code? How many do you get to start and how many do you have to buy to fulfill?
Old 08-30-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to know that also.
Old 08-31-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just go to c o l u m b i a house.com and enter the code and you will see that EBP gives you the following:

"Choose 6 DVDs for $0.49 each, with free shipping! All you need to do is buy 3 DVDs over the next 2 years at $19.95 or more plus shipping and processing, and you may cancel at any time after doing so by contacting Customer Service. As a Bonus, you can take the 7th movie now for $9.95 with Free Shipping and have only 2 more movies to buy (instead of 3) in the next 2 years. Plus, you can take an 8th movie for the special price of $9.95 with Free Shipping. There's no risk, your introductory package is sent on a 10-day trial basis and includes complete details of membership. If you are not completely satisfied, you may return the package at our expense and we'll cancel your membership and refund your money."
Old 08-31-06, 07:32 AM

^Thanks. Sounds good enough for me. If my latest app gets lost or has causes an "error" in their system I'll try the phone.
Old 08-31-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In addition to what sotra expertly said, please be aware that there is an enrollment code thread stickied to the top of the forum. Many codes are listed and explained in the first post of that thread. Successes and failures in using them can be discussed at the end of that thread (as you, glasschicken, recently did).

I realize that most people don't tend to check the first post in a long thread like that so I just want to remind everyone that it is there and pretty up-to-date on codes available, though not on which ones work on the phone because that has been a moving target recently. (In truth, there are so many good enrollment codes that I don't even bother to post most of the new ones I get.)

Last edited by lizard; 08-31-06 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe my one application was "lost" earlier last week. I had used a Paypal card and after four days of a pending charge, it hadn't been confirmed and thus, was returned to my PP account. I was never clear if this was just not getting accepted or CH taking too long to confirm the charge and the window of time for the payment to clear closing.

Anyway, after I was refunded the money, I signed up using a code that required a PSN. To be on the safe side, I selected a different crop of titles. Today, I got the acceptance email. I'm glad, but a little disappointed at the same time. The first application included the rest of the WB Gangster titles I've been dying for. Oh well, I'll give it a shot next time.
Old 09-01-06, 12:29 PM

Over the last few months, almost none of my online apps have gone through. This happened last November and in January they suddenly "discovered" all of the "lost apps" and I suddenly had box after box of DVDs to return. I hope this doesn't happen again. However, I currently have three accounts opened just in the last month and here is how I did it:

I always save the mailings I receive with FREE SHIPPING and TWO FULFILLMENTS and throw away all others. I have some that are even over a year old - but if I ever go through a period where no online apps go through, I just fill out one of the mail-in forms and within a couple of weeks I receive my DVDs. I don't believe in all of the years I've been using Columbia House that a mail-in app of mine has been lost.

I'm one of those who will never give my CC to CH because the couple of times I did it - I had trouble getting my money back when CH made mistakes. I'd rather have the control in my hands.

As for phoning in apps - never done it. I guess I like the impersonal computer and snail mail! No other real reason. Those are my two cents!
Old 09-01-06, 02:12 PM

Yesterday I received a reply from CH customer service.It said that if I wish to prepay,print the completed application and mail it in with a check or money order.This is what I plan on doing rather than wasting time with another application that is rejected.I figure if they get the money before they ship,they will hopefully be more likely to ship my DVDs,.I'll also include a copy of that reply from CH customer service.Anything to improve my chances pf being accepted.
Old 09-02-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^This may well improve your chances of getting an application approved but it doesn't guarantee it. What happens is this:

Columbia House receives application and deposits the check right away (they can be quick when it comes to money).

Columbia House decides to accept or reject application.

If accepted, your enrollment package will be on its way.

If rejected, CH will send you a form letter saying so and issue you a refund check in a few weeks. (No, they haven't just sent back the original check, in my experience.)

YMMV.