Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Funcash suggestions (bang for your buck, etc.)

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Funcash suggestions (bang for your buck, etc.)

Old 12-02-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't resist. I just placed an order for a bunch of cheapies to get $72 in funcash so I can mop up on some boxsets. Yikes!
Old 12-02-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Long Way Round and 4400 are bothe 8.98 before using funcash, so those are pretty good buys.

I ordered about 10 of those cheapies a month ago when there was no triple fc otherwise I would probably make a similar order as basaro. There are a lot of good titles at those cheap prices.
Old 12-02-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by basaro
I couldn't resist. I just placed an order for a bunch of cheapies to get $72 in funcash so I can mop up on some boxsets. Yikes!
I just pulled the trigger on-

Triplets of Belleville
Memory of a Killer
Green Mile
Lucky Number Slevin(Deal of the Day)-

for around $25 shipped(using the $5 off of $30 coupon). This order nets me $24 in FunCash. Now that FC is actually worthwhile, this order nearly pays for itself.
Old 12-02-06, 03:58 PM

lol, i did the exact same thing, but does that seem stupid to anyone else... i know i'm not gonna watch any of those $4 movies (at that point, i think it's more of an addiction than actually a useful hobby)...

so, the last DVD i'm buying for at least 3 more months is Talladega Nights (well, already pre-ordered it)... cause honestly, i'm spending too much time on this... it's taking away from my work (i guess you could loosely call playing online poker work )
Old 12-03-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My brother wanted some titles that came out cheap when I added my pre-order, "Factotum", 12/26. He's getting 6 for around $39 shipped. I'm getting my pre-order (shipped separately) after Christmas and keeping the $42 in FC the order earned.

All this on my "Bill Me" account which just last week reached $145.xx before I made a scheduled $70 payment.
Old 12-03-06, 12:34 PM

some more christmas gifts for myself
The Maltese Falcon Special Edition $13.48 $10.00 $3.48

Gunsmoke 50Th Anniversary Edition: Volume 1 $16.63 $10.00 $6.63

James Bond Ultimate Collection: Volume 2 $40.48 $20.00 $20.48

James Bond Ultimate Collection: Volume 1 $40.48 $20.00 $20.48

Subtotal $51.07
Shipping & Processing $27.96
Expedited Shipping $4.99
Tax $0.00

Total $84.02
this dvd collecting is addicting, ok I now I will go study for my finals. lol

Last edited by bloopbleep; 12-10-06 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-03-06, 01:44 PM

Is the new funcash immediately accessible after you place your triple funcash order, or do you have to wait until the order ships for it to show up in your account? The Funcash Help page on the site indicates it's the latter case, but given how dodgy a lot of that info is I thought I'd ask.
Old 12-03-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grivet
Is the new funcash immediately accessible after you place your triple funcash order, or do you have to wait until the order ships for it to show up in your account? The Funcash Help page on the site indicates it's the latter case, but given how dodgy a lot of that info is I thought I'd ask.
It's usually available immediately after you place the order. Then after about 24 hours, the FC will disappear until the order ships. CH has had a glitch in the past where you could place a FC order with the newly available FC and they would then replenish the FC when the original order ships. They would eventually catch on and put your FC into a negative balance. However, you can close the account with negative FC(and I haven't been blacklisted as of yet for having negative FC).
Old 12-03-06, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Thanks, Legend. I was leaning toward that one. But now I'm bitter about the UK release having more eps! Hmph!
Long Way Round (extended version) is much better, since you get 10 episodes, not 7, and each episode runs a full hour, instead of just approx. 50 minutes like the 7-episode version. The difference in covers is that the extended version has the title under the picture of Ewan & Charlie, and has an image of the motorbikes riding through a red desert landscape (not photographed head-on like the 7-episode version).

It's still available in Region 1 from Amazon.ca, or you can try some other DVD price search sites. You'll find it on Amazon.ca if you search for "Long Way Round: The Entire Series (Ten Episodes) (2004)".
Old 12-03-06, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
It's usually available immediately after you place the order. Then after about 24 hours, the FC will disappear until the order ships.
Thanks, SBJ, that jibes with my hazy recollection as well. Now I just have to decide if it's worth the risk, as I could easily see CH monkeying up a storm with these orders next week. But that's hardly any different than with every other order placed at CH, so I'll probably end up rolling the dice
Old 12-03-06, 08:54 PM

the superman animated series seasons 1 to 3 come up to $2.13 each with this deal. I already have them.thought some people might like the tip.
Old 12-03-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have $40 in FunCash you can get either of the complete sets of Friends or The West Wing for about $110 (with taxes and s&h). That saves you almost $50 from what it would have cost during the DDD sale (at least for The West Wing).
Old 12-04-06, 04:19 PM

Since the Sups sets has been pulled, I just missed on that, but I have saved $30 of my $80 funcash to use for the set if it shows up again, hopefully before the end of the year when fc expires.
For now I used $50 fc and got:
Bond set 1
Bond set 2
Amazing Stories S1
Good for now.
Old 12-04-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

. . . hopefully before the end of the year when fc expires.
I know I keep seeing Dec. 31st as the "expiration" for FC. Does that mean it won't carry over to the next year? I currently have $91 in FC. I thought they did away with the special cash-in time periods and it was now availabe year round.

EDIT: Yikes! Just read the terms and it seems you can only redeem FC during the year it was earned. I've had this account only since this past April, 8 months +.

Last edited by Xbox69; 12-04-06 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-04-06, 07:01 PM

I really wasn't shooting for bang for the buck, but I redeemed $113 in fun cash today. I had a full shopping cart (pretty much all newer release movies as this is what my kids want for Christmas) of items. I found this site yesterday and was able to go from I really think it was $20 in fun cash (maybe I am wrong about that), to over $100 just by using the code here. I know it says it's triple, but mine way more than tripled. On the initial order, the price did jump $3.00 from the current sale, but who cares? I was then able to add a few other DVDs that I wanted at what, 50 to 60% off too and that raised my fun cash to $114. In the end I was able to get these titles free (except S&H and tax).

Anger Management Special Edition
Airplane: "Don't Call Me Shirley!" Edition
Stir Crazy (I choose this for nostalgic reasons)
Pretty in Pink: Everything's Duckie Edition
Platoon Special Edition
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill
Seven

I'm beyond ecstatic. I wouldn't have bought most of these listed here, but it's nice getting them for such a small price (s&h, tax).
Old 12-04-06, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
I know I keep seeing Dec. 31st as the "expiration" for FC. Does that mean it won't carry over to the next year? I currently have $91 in FC. I thought they did away with the special cash-in time periods and it was now availabe year round.

EDIT: Yikes! Just read the terms and it seems you can only redeem FC during the year it was earned. I've had this account only since this past April, 8 months +.
Maybe someone else who has first hand experience will weigh in, but I was on the site yesterday and read that every dollar in fun cash will expire on Dec. 31. So, I took that to mean that I'd better not wait around and I placed my order right away. In all honesty, I'd like to have waited for a few titles to release, but I was afraid I'd lose them.

Now, if they let this slide, maybe they will carry over, but not according to the site it won't.
Old 12-04-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^In the past Columbia House has let funcash, or part of it anyway, carry over to the new year. But one can't be certain they will do so again this coming year.
Old 12-05-06, 10:01 AM

Bond set 1 is OOS, just got a notice from CH. Hopefully it will be back very soon.
Old 12-05-06, 12:20 PM

My funcash is going wacky today. For awhile, all the items in my FC cart went from their reduced prices (discounted sets and the ~$9 gift titles) back to their regular prices. BUT I was able to apply funcash to the full price of boxsets (like the drop-down menu for Ultimate Bond went all to way to 53). I was paring down my order trying to make optimal use of the situation, and about 10 minutes later my cart changed back to the lower prices and limited FC on sets.

So it looks like they might be making changes as we speak. And my instincts say the end result will be the prices going back up to "normal" but with the set limit restrictions still in place (the worst of both worlds). So anybody with significant funcash might want to pull the trigger soon.

Last edited by legend42; 12-05-06 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-05-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

Thanks for the warning. I was dawdling in placing an order, but after reading your post, I just busted out 2 FC orders.
Old 12-05-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm seeing the same thing with my FC cart. I'll probably pull the trigger on some of those "$6 - $15" selections in the Gift Center.

BTTF Trilogy at $2.78 plus $6 shipping after FC is a good deal as well. They count that as the 1st selection and the rest of the movies get $1.99 shipping added.
Old 12-05-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Error processing your Checkout request!
FunCash box set limitations may have been applied.

well it looks like they caught on REALLY FAST ... they applied the corrected amount to my FC CarT
Old 12-05-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm having such a hard time trying to figure out which box sets to use my 50+ funcash bucks on.
Old 12-05-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
All the movies in the Gift Center are coming up at regular price in the shopping cart as well. It says no other purchase is necessarty but it still charges the regular price. I was hoping to get another set with funcash onece my balnce was fully corrected. It's now -$8.
Old 12-05-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, the Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection is only $44.07/shipped. I'm on the verge of finally picking that one up.

I just bought the Film Noir Collection V3 for $21.49, so I have 41 more funcash bucks left to work with.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.