Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
That sounds like a cookie problem. Delete all Columbia House cookies and try again to click through on your e-mail. If that doesn't work, just go directly to columbiahouse.com and see if that works.
That was my thought before I tried it on 7 different computers and having the same problem, as well as successfully logging into a different account using both emails and logging in manually. Unfortunately it is certainly an issue with my account in particular. I'm sure I could have gotten the issue solved by now if a CSR would take the time to wait on hold for web support or just cold transfer me.
Old 01-12-07, 04:10 PM

I made purchases on my regular dvd club & the tv on dvd club in Dec. I received emails that I would get a free dvd with my first purchase in Jan. from both clubs & with different codes. I did the one on my regular dvd club but when trying to get the free dvd on the tv on dvd club nothing comes up free. I click through from the tv on dvd email & the page even says at the top " Take a free dvd with your purchase" but no matter how many dvds I add to the cart nothing comes up free. What could be the problem? I emailed them from their website but the email came back MAILER-DAEMON with permanent fatal errors so I haven't been able to contact them.
Old 01-12-07, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by cookie5409
I made purchases on my regular dvd club & the tv on dvd club in Dec. I received emails that I would get a free dvd with my first purchase in Jan. from both clubs & with different codes. I did the one on my regular dvd club but when trying to get the free dvd on the tv on dvd club nothing comes up free. I click through from the tv on dvd email & the page even says at the top " Take a free dvd with your purchase" but no matter how many dvds I add to the cart nothing comes up free. What could be the problem? I emailed them from their website but the email came back MAILER-DAEMON with permanent fatal errors so I haven't been able to contact them.
I had the same problem with the TV Club email address and have heard that it is not working for anyone. I was able to find the regular DVD Club email address on this site somewhere and it works, but I can't seem to find it now, maybe someone else can.
Old 01-13-07, 08:08 AM

Can someone let me know how much the Lord Of The Rings Extende Edition Trilogy is and how many commitment titles it counts for. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAngles
I had the same problem with the TV Club email address and have heard that it is not working for anyone. I was able to find the regular DVD Club email address on this site somewhere and it works, but I can't seem to find it now, maybe someone else can.
The usual e-mail address for Columbia House is [email protected]
Old 01-13-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by supfool!
Can someone let me know how much the Lord Of The Rings Extende Edition Trilogy is and how many commitment titles it counts for. Thanks in advance.
With the caveat that prices can vary depending on the sale offer on your account:

2745008 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition $17.97
2948602 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition $17.97
3374907 The Lord of The Rings: The Return Of The King Extended Edition $17.97
3498805 The Lord of The Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy Special Extended Edition $48.57

That last one, the trilogy set, would count for two committments.
Old 01-13-07, 02:51 PM

columbia house

how does the bill me option work? what is your credit approval and how much credit you get determined by?
Old 01-14-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nana2414
how does the bill me option work? what is your credit approval and how much credit you get determined by?
If you select "Bill me" when enrolling (or if you use a code that does not have a credit card option), you will be expected to pay when you receive your enrollment package. This can be done by entering a credit card number in your web account or by mailing Columbia House a check.

When you make additional orders, CH may not ship all the DVDs until you pay for the first ones shipped. And they likely won't send any additional DVDs until the enrollment package is paid for.

Some people prefer not to use credit cards because they think, erroneously, that it will prevent them from having to deal with Director's Selections. They also think that if there is a billing error, they will just be able to walk away from it, forgetting that unpaid bills are sent to a collection agency. (One way or another, billing errors need to be fixed.)

Most of us use credit cards on our accounts for convenience, and because we can check on the status of our orders by looking for the charge to hit our card accounts. It is also believed, but not certain, that enrollments with a credit card are more likely to be approved than "bill me" ones. (The new membership approval process is so random and arcane that we tend to see patterns in the data where there might not be any.)

For those who don't have credit cards, "bill me" is, of course, the only option. But it can be a bit of a hassle because CH won't ship more than a few DVDs until previous bills are paid. We get a lot of questions here asking why CH won't ship DVDs or only shipped a partial order, and usually the answer is that they haven't recorded payment for previous shipments.

If you do go with "bill me", be sure to pay the bills you receive as quickly as you can to reduce the hassle. CH also charges late fees on bills unpaid for 30 days.
Old 01-14-07, 09:54 PM

im having a problem with ch..maybe someone here can help me.
i ordered 20 dvds on 12/18/06 for a total of $129.17. they charged me on 12/20/06.
i received 12 dvds a week later but have not received the last 8 dvds.
i emailed them about 3 times already and have yet to get a response.
i emailed to [email protected] and [email protected]
everytime i call i never get a real person, just the automated person which tells me goodbye after i press 0 or anything else.

can anyone help me with this ?
thanks
Old 01-15-07, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you do go with "bill me", be sure to pay the bills you receive as quickly as you can to reduce the hassle. CH also charges late fees on bills unpaid for 30 days.
I recently had my "Bill Me" account nearing $200 with no late fees incurred. It's good to build up an on time payment history. I've not had them delay a shipment and, at most, probably had 10+ DVDs in hand that had yet to be paid for.

I also do the "one time credit card payment" online with my bankcard. Works out better that way. I've had this account since April and considering just keeping it open.
Old 01-15-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Yes, reports of DVD shipments with "bill me" do vary, with some having no trouble and others having orders held. It does appear that keeping a good payment history will smooth the shipping process.

I didn't mention the one time payment with a credit card because I was trying to keep my message from being longer than it already was. But that is a good option for those who don't want their credit card automatically charged for each order. Just do a one-time charge to pay for each order you make. This is done by going to "Your Account", selecting "Make a Payment", then selecting "Use this new credit card for this payment only."
Old 01-17-07, 02:41 AM

I apologize since this has been covered to death in this thread,but I have been away for a long time.Anyway,CH cancelled my accounts(I had 2 dvdclub and 2 tvondvd)last year.This was some time in March(maybe February).I believe the reason they did so was because i ordered a few copies of some of the Tartan Asia titles.The weird thing was I figured "well,no email at all and it has been more than a couple of week.Looks like they rejected my applications".I do not remember if they sent a rejection letter or not.Than within a period of 2 weeks I received 3 maybe 4 boxes of enrollment selections.And like I said,I did get 2 sometimes 3 copies of a certain title.Here is my question,how long does one remain blacklisted?I have not tried enrollig in months but am thinkig of giving them a call soon.I tried enrolling before with my brothers name,address,email adress and credit card.That didn't work either.If all else fails I guess I will have to open a PO box and get a prepaid Discover card.
Old 01-17-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Some have reported being able to talk their way back into new Columbia House memberships after six months or so, but that was some years ago. There hasn't been any discussion of recovering from the blacklist in recent years IIRC.

Using a new address and identity is probably your best bet.
Old 01-18-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
foxxvox, how long after you applied before you get a bunch of enrollment DVDs?

I'm kinda in the similar situation. I applied once in November, once in December, and once this month (January). So far I've gotten confirmation email but nothing after that. And in all my enrollment selections, there was some overlap. So if by some miracle they end up approving all 3 of my applications, I'll probably end up getting blacklisted because I requested multiple copies of same DVDs.
Old 01-18-07, 11:09 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Could someone with an open account please tell me how much the CH price is for The World At War set? It is selection #3314507 according to the enrollment site. Thanks.
Old 01-18-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jim
Could someone with an open account please tell me how much the CH price is for The World At War set? It is selection #3314507 according to the enrollment site. Thanks.
The World At War
Full Screen
List Price $149.95

Special Club Price $89.97 no other purchase necessary
(You save $59.98)
Old 01-18-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^
List Price $149.95
Special Club Price $89.97
Old 01-18-07, 11:18 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you both.
Old 01-18-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mookiemeister
foxxvox, how long after you applied before you get a bunch of enrollment DVDs?

I'm kinda in the similar situation. I applied once in November, once in December, and once this month (January). So far I've gotten confirmation email but nothing after that. And in all my enrollment selections, there was some overlap. So if by some miracle they end up approving all 3 of my applications, I'll probably end up getting blacklisted because I requested multiple copies of same DVDs.
If you haven't received a "Welcome to the Club" e-mail, seen a charge for the correct amount on your credit card, or received your enrollment package in three weeks or so, it is likely that the application was not accepted. While it is possible that your old applications could still be accepted, this is unlikely. And even if two applications with similar DVD selections were approved, you could send one enrollment package back. Buying two copies of a DVD isn't likely to lead to problems. It is only when Columbia House sees a pattern of multiple copies of high value titles being ordered repeatedly that they might choose to blacklist the customer.

The reason why so many applications are denied (you get a rejection letter) or "lost" (they disappear without a trace) is mystery. But those who have had few previous accounts or none in the last six months or a year, seem to have an easier time getting applications approved.
Old 01-18-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

okay after emails back and forth part of my balance has cleared up not all still emailing CH and hoping to have it cleared up soon ... what i don't understand is the DVDS were sent back so shouldn't they have been collected already and my funds credited ... ??

all very confusing ...

So my question again is what to do with those certificates i got apparently for no reason at all ? I got 5 with a letter saying that the had charged my account for committment overdue or some such thing ? do i go ahead and use them and wait until my account is cleared up or just toss them ?

thanks
Old 01-18-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are the csrs at columbia house dumb or is this a glitch. I purchased the descent and a bunch of other dvds. Descent was a preorder so the other dvds ship. I get Descent and it doesn't play in my dvd player. I go online and go to the return section and click descent and pick the defective/damaged option. The next day I get an email saying we are sorry you didn't receive your selections and your account will be credited for the amounts shown below. They credited me for the other 4 or 5 movies and didn't send me a replacement copy of The Descent. I got a credit of like $80. This also happened for me one my second account where my copy of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly box was damaged and I did the same thing and it took me three or four emails to get them to understand what was wrong. I got two emails saying a label was being sent to send back, never got them, and finally I got an email that said throw away your defective copy and they gave me a credit for it. I guess I'm lucky or they are really dumb. DId they actually think I would throw away the damaged box which I told them three times was damaged and not defective? Sorry if im rambling on
Old 01-18-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
Are the csrs at columbia house dumb or is this a glitch. I purchased the descent and a bunch of other dvds. Descent was a preorder so the other dvds ship. I get Descent and it doesn't play in my dvd player. I go online and go to the return section and click descent and pick the defective/damaged option. The next day I get an email saying we are sorry you didn't receive your selections and your account will be credited for the amounts shown below. They credited me for the other 4 or 5 movies and didn't send me a replacement copy of The Descent. I got a credit of like $80. This also happened for me one my second account where my copy of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly box was damaged and I did the same thing and it took me three or four emails to get them to understand what was wrong. I got two emails saying a label was being sent to send back, never got them, and finally I got an email that said throw away your defective copy and they gave me a credit for it. I guess I'm lucky or they are really dumb. DId they actually think I would throw away the damaged box which I told them three times was damaged and not defective? Sorry if im rambling on
Maybe you are getting all my credits

I have 5 dvds to get it seems ... but my money is still OUT THERE !!
Old 01-19-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
Are the csrs at columbia house dumb or is this a glitch. I purchased the descent and a bunch of other dvds. Descent was a preorder so the other dvds ship. I get Descent and it doesn't play in my dvd player. I go online and go to the return section and click descent and pick the defective/damaged option. The next day I get an email saying we are sorry you didn't receive your selections and your account will be credited for the amounts shown below. They credited me for the other 4 or 5 movies and didn't send me a replacement copy of The Descent. I got a credit of like $80.
This problem sounds like a goof; perhaps they didn't read the website correctly. Your experience explains why most of us try to call CH when there is a problem, except that getting through on the phone has been reported to be difficult nowadays.

If one must e-mail Columbia House ( [email protected] ) expect at least the first response to be a useless "canned" one. Replying to that will usually get a live person to read and respond. But it is very important when e-mailing to explain things clearly and succinctly, to tell them exactly what is wrong and exactly what needs to be done to fix it.

(Many posts in this forum are less than models of clarity, so I can well understand how a CH e-mail CSR trying to answer hundreds of inquiries per shift can get confused by what is being asked of them. One simple thing to do to make posts more readable is to break them into paragraphs; posts that are just one long jumble are hard to read and parse. This is why books have paragraphs, by the way; it is not a new concept.)
This also happened for me one my second account where my copy of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly box was damaged and I did the same thing and it took me three or four emails to get them to understand what was wrong. I got two emails saying a label was being sent to send back, never got them, and finally I got an email that said throw away your defective copy and they gave me a credit for it. I guess I'm lucky or they are really dumb. DId they actually think I would throw away the damaged box which I told them three times was damaged and not defective? Sorry if im rambling on
It is routine for Columbia House to tell you to throw out a DVD that is defective and needs replacing. A damaged case means a defective DVD; its not as if Columbia House could replace just the case. It costs Columbia House more to pay for and process a return shipment than it does to just eat the cost of the damaged DVD.

If you have had no replacements on the account before, CH will usually just tell you to throw out the defective DVD and will send you the replacement. If you have had replacements before they will more likely send you a return label, charge your account for the replacement, then refund the charge when the return is received and credited (this takes several weeks at least). Even though this is more expensive for them, they want to prevent abuse by con artists who are taking advantage of them.

Columbia House breaks returns into two categories: "good" returns, that is, those that are caused by something CH did wrong, such as a damaged DVD or sending the wrong title, and "bad" returns, those caused by a customer who changed his or her mind, and that sort of thing. Too many "bad" returns may lead to the customer being blacklisted because they are not worth the trouble and expense.

[While this may be more than you wanted to know about all this stuff, questions such as yours come up fairly regularly so I thought I'd elaborate.]

Last edited by lizard; 01-19-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-19-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
does anyone know if CH will be carrying blue underground's "maniac" or any of blue underground's upcoming releases for that matter?? what about the new 3 disc early hitchcock set that lionsgate is putting out??
Old 01-19-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The reason why so many applications are denied (you get a rejection letter) or "lost" (they disappear without a trace) is mystery. But those who have had few previous accounts or none in the last six months or a year, seem to have an easier time getting applications approved.
That's strange. It seems to be opposite for me. I've been applying to Columbia House for years and in the past, I always get email approval after a few days. In those days, I open and close account many times each year. Just last year, I stopped joining Columbia House for about a year or so (I was waiting for latest new DVDs to appear in their library before re-applying). Now, I applied 3 times once in November, once in December, and once this month, and I haven't seen approval email yet after more than 1 year pause.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.