Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sent them an email Monday asking if they had any additional information on the order I submitted and I recieved this email today:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your e-mail message. Account #xxxxxxxxxxx Additional information is being sent via US mail concerning your recent membership order. Please allow time for delivery. If we may be of further service, please let us know. Sincerely,Lois EllingtonCustomer Service
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if that means I didn't get in, or could it still go either way?
Old 08-25-06, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by egamipeaks
Does anyone know if that means I didn't get in, or could it still go either way?
If they email contains an actual account number you probably got it. GO to the website and try to log in using the number they listed and for the password the default will be your zip code. Once you are logged in you can change the membership name and password to something you can remember easily. Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-06, 01:51 PM

Yeah they gave me an actual account number. I tried it on the site -- didn't work -- atleast yet.
Old 08-26-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by egamipeaks
I sent them an email Monday asking if they had any additional information on the order I submitted and I recieved this email today:
Thank you for your e-mail message. Account #xxxxxxxxxxx Additional information is being sent via US mail concerning your recent membership order. Please allow time for delivery. If we may be of further service, please let us know. Sincerely,Lois EllingtonCustomer Service

My guess is that a rejection letter is on its way. Could be wrong about that though.
Old 08-26-06, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
My guess is that a rejection letter is on its way. Could be wrong about that though.

Hmm why give it an account number than? I would call CH and use the number they gave you to get to a CSR. They should be able to tell you whats up, and maybe activate the account even if it was a denial. Let us know for future referance either way.
Old 08-26-06, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Erreth
Hmm why give it an account number than?
I've noticed on the rejection letters that I've received that they do assign an account number to the "rejected" account. Just above where the letter starts with "Dear Applicant:" you will see a line that says "Re: DVD Club # XXXXXXXXXXX" So apparently for whatever reason, they assign a unique account number even when they reject you. Just another chapter in the unique and mysterious book of CH logic!!
Old 08-26-06, 06:07 PM

To me the account number on a rejected app makes sense. When you try to create an account, it assigns a number to it, and then the account is verified or denied. CH would need some sort of system to order accounts when they are made. I would assign account numbers to every app too.
Old 08-27-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

JoeR63 and thomkai are correct. Applications processed are assigned an account number before the decision to accept or reject is made. Applications "lost" seem to disappear without a trace.

Calling Columbia House using a rejected application number, and pleading one's case to a CSR, can often lead to the application being revived.
Old 08-27-06, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the help, I will wait to see if I get anything in the mail first -- if it's rejected I'll probably call.
Old 08-27-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I applied on Monday with my Paypal Debit Card. The temporary charge was placed that day, but hadn't gone through as of yesterday. When using Paypal, a pending charge expires after a few days if it hasn't gone through. I'm imagining this wasn't so much a rejection from CH as it was PP's limited window of a pending charge expiring.

My question is: do I re-apply with the same titles, but use a different card so this doesn't happen again?
Old 08-27-06, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
I applied on Monday with my Paypal Debit Card. The temporary charge was placed that day, but hadn't gone through as of yesterday. When using Paypal, a pending charge expires after a few days if it hasn't gone through. I'm imagining this wasn't so much a rejection from CH as it was PP's limited window of a pending charge expiring.
I've used a PayPal debit card to pay before, and sometimes the charge takes up to ten days to expire (the merchant can cancel the charge earlier, which usually happens). App. is probably lost, but I'd give it at least a few more days to make sure.

My question is: do I re-apply with the same titles, but use a different card so this doesn't happen again?
I don't think the card is the issue. I've used several different cc's, and they all have about the same % of lost vs. approved rates (and the same temp charge that eventually drops off procedure). If you do re-apply soon, I'd use different titles. There's still a slight chance the other one might go through.
Old 08-28-06, 01:42 AM
Cool New Member

Hey all, I just finished enrolling and paying via credit card. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to be able to access the website, I need a membership number, and how long it will take for the initial shipment of DVDs to arrive? Thanks!
Old 08-28-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVDsport16
Hey all, I just finished enrolling and paying via credit card. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to be able to access the website, I need a membership number, and how long it will take for the initial shipment of DVDs to arrive? Thanks!
First you have to have your application accepted. You might get an e-mail acceptance in the next day to a week or so; it will have your account number. Or you might not hear anything at all.

You can monitor your credit card for a charge. A temp charge means they are checking your card; you want to see a real charge for the correct amount. If you do, that means you have been accepted.

If you DON'T get an acceptance e-mail, then you will have to wait until you get your enrollment package, in a week or two, to get your account number.

Once you have your account number you can usually access the website. But sometimes it takes a day or two before web access is enabled.

If you don't hear anything and don't see a real charge on your card it is likely that your application has been "lost" (i.e. deleted by Columbia House) or rejected (you will eventually get a rejection letter). But this rarely happens to first timers, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-28-06, 01:53 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks Lizard, this whole process seems pretty random, I always thought CH ran a more tight ship operation, but I guess not! I'll look for the email/letter within the next week. Thanks again!
Old 08-28-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^"Tight ship" and "Columbia House" are mutually exclusive terms! Dealing with the quirks of CH can be frustrating at times. However, their "loose ship" operation gives us a chance at even better DVD prices than would otherwise be possible.
Old 08-29-06, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by lizard
JoeR63 and thomkai are correct. Applications processed are assigned an account number before the decision to accept or reject is made. Applications "lost" seem to disappear without a trace.

Calling Columbia House using a rejected application number, and pleading one's case to a CSR, can often lead to the application being revived.
I'll have to keep this in mind the next time I get a rejection letter.I'll call'em up and try to get the app "revived"but I won't hold my breath.Just how long does a "blacklist"last anyway?I haven't had an acount since at least February,probably because I was late paying bills and I returned 1 dvd box set.Since than I have enrolled at least 3 times online and twice via phone.I used a different name,dfferent shipping address,different email address,and different cc,but the same billing address.So far this has resulted in a big fat 0.
Old 08-29-06, 01:41 AM

Well its happened to me again. I just received an acceptance email from an app I submitted August 3rd. I think it was an LMT code I used so it had no CC payment available. After learning my lesson the hard way last time I almost never apply with the same enrollments so I only will receive one duplicate this time around. Anyone else get any old apps processed this weekend, last time it seemed everyone had a bunch of lost apps approved.

By the way this gets me three accounts at this address again. Hopefully my fulfilments arrive on the last accounts so I can close one or two.
Old 08-29-06, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by foxxvox
I'll have to keep this in mind the next time I get a rejection letter.I'll call'em up and try to get the app "revived"but I won't hold my breath.Just how long does a "blacklist"last anyway?I haven't had an acount since at least February,probably because I was late paying bills and I returned 1 dvd box set.Since than I have enrolled at least 3 times online and twice via phone.I used a different name,dfferent shipping address,different email address,and different cc,but the same billing address.So far this has resulted in a big fat 0.
Don't know how long, but I waited 10 months before submitting another app when mine were disappearing - didn't know if I was BLed, but it seemed like it.

When using a different address, it's best to make it ALL separate - no tie-backs to any other address your using. CH has ways of cross-linking.
Old 08-29-06, 03:14 PM

I asked my brother to enroll for me and use his name,address,etc.The only problem is he's worried that if for some reason my account is cancelled(by CH,not me)that it will affect his credit rating.When I call to enroll in the DVD club they always ask for credit card info.What would happen if I tell them I don't have one?Would i just be SOL?
Old 08-29-06, 09:03 PM

Someone else said that CH doesn't check your credit history, it merely runs a check on the credit account, to verify it is active. It won't affect his credit ratin, I'm pretty sure.

I have a questio/problem now.
I just looked at my bank statement and saw an outrageous amount charged from CH! I recently fullfilled my first account with the b2g4 free code, and everything seemed fine. I bought 8 1/2 and Unforgiven. My email (and everything else they showed me) said this:
Boogie Nights Platinum Series
Memento
8 1/2: The Criterion Collection
West Side Story Special Edition
Seven Platinum Series
Unforgiven 10Th Anniversary Edition

Total Items Ordered: 6
Order Total: $69.53
You Saved: $100.80
So I check my order history and get this:
Memento Pending $14.27
8 1/2: The Criterion Collection Pending $34.95
Boogie Nights Platinum Series Pending $14.27
West Side Story Special Edition Pending $19.47
Seven Platinum Series Pending $12.97
Unforgiven 10Th Anniversary Edition Pending $14.27
Subtotal $110.20
Shipping & Processing $12.94
Tax $8.93

Total $132.07
And I just noticed that the prices are really weird... these were all pretty pricey if I remember correctly, as I was trying to get a good deal. And my 8 1/2 was $30 because I used the first time buyer $5 off code/link...

Any help? Should I write them right away? I'm worried they'll take away my awesome deal... but I sure don't want to pay $130 for these!
Old 08-29-06, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by thomkai
Any help? Should I write them right away? I'm worried they'll take away my awesome deal... but I sure don't want to pay $130 for these!
It sounds like they had to manually reenter your order. This happens from time to time, and often the "deals" disappear. Hopefully, you still have a copy of the receipt or e-mail with the original prices. Either way, you want to call or e-mail them and explain the situation. Usually they re-adjust the prices without a hassle, but it may take some effort on your part, depending on the CSR (the hardest part is getting them to understand the mistake).

DON'T mention where you got the code, just say you placed the order with a "3 free DVDs when you complete your commitment" deal or whatever, and those were the prices and freebies that showed up. Helps a bunch if you have the receipt, which they may ask you to fax them. If worse comes to worse, I'd tell them you'd like to cancel the order.
Old 08-29-06, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the quick reply - I did the order online, and I still have the email that had my original order - although it doesn't list prices, just order total. I don't know if I printed the receipt when the page showed up, I don't think I did, which is awesome. I wrote them an email, and the site said I'd get a response within two days. Hope they fix this as I am getting overcharged and not getting my fullfillment since they lowered the prices from what I payed to under $15 each. Weak.
Old 08-29-06, 11:57 PM

Deals?

Does Columbia DVD club have deals during membership, such as "Buy 1 at regular price, get 1 free" that could count towards fulfilment!??!?!
Old 08-30-06, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by acekiller32
Does Columbia DVD club have deals during membership, such as "Buy 1 at regular price, get 1 free" that could count towards fulfilment!??!?!

They sure do! Most recently they had a permanent b4g1 code which when combined with a bxgx code created a b2g4 code. This now longer works since the b4g1 code is no longer valid. However the other code, 807748, should still work and give you b1g1, b2g2, b3g3. Follow the stickied thread for current and upcoming codes - http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....&goto=lastpost
Old 08-31-06, 12:20 PM

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the webdvd link? I'm just getting re-routed back to the Columbia House homepage.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.