Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Padrino
As I said before, I had to send back a DS title I forgot to decline. How long does it typically take for them to issue the refund?
Three to four weeks in my experience. The wheels at Columbia House grind slowly...
Old 08-16-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
In addition to what Sweet Baby James said above, I would like to clarify: you will need to decline the DS each month or so. Be sure to check your account regularly to make sure that you have no outstanding Director's Selections. If you find this a hassle, just fulfill your account as quickly as possible and then cancel it.
You do have to cancel online each month. However, CH sends out reminder emails, so there shouldn't be a problem with remembering to do it.
Old 08-16-06, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You do have to cancel online each month. However, CH sends out reminder emails, so there shouldn't be a problem with remembering to do it.
Awesome, thanks for the help. Now I simply wait...... this sucks.
Old 08-16-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, I am signed up for that but haven't decided whether I trust CH to always send me the reminder e-mail. Plus one has to winnow through the other CH e-mail they send out.

But it is a big improvement over the pounds of regular mail they used send!

I just wanted egamipeaks to know that one must take action to decline the DS every month or so. You know how much whining we see when someone gets a DS shipped, either by mistake or, usually, because he or she forgot to decline it in time!
Old 08-16-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll ask this again, since I didn't notice an answer last time.

Do they still have phone enrollment only titles? If so, is there a list of them somewhere here?
Old 08-16-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard

I just wanted egamipeaks to know that one must take action to decline the DS every month or so. You know how much whining we see when someone gets a DS shipped, either by mistake or, usually, because he or she forgot to decline it in time!
I hear you. One more piece of advice-decline the DS on weekdays. It seems like the only time that I have ever had an issue with CH is when I conduct my business on the weekend. I remember that I declined a DS once on a Sunday and it was still sent out to me. I also once had an order that I made on the weekend go MIA. I find it good policy to try and do everything on weekdays.
Old 08-16-06, 07:55 PM

My question is how often do they send the'welcom to the club"email?I enrolled last Thursday,using a different cc,a different address and a different name(my brother)and even a different email address.Nothing yet,unless my brother knows something I don't.
Old 08-16-06, 08:22 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

In all honesty I wouldn't hold my breath on that particular email. I've had several accounts open over the past 3 or 4 years and not once I have I received the 'Welcome to the club' email. My only clue is when the box shows up at the front door.

I just applied for a new account tonight and paid with a credit card, so we'll see if there's a first time for everything.
Old 08-16-06, 09:31 PM

I paid with a credit card too so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 08-16-06, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by foxxvox
I paid with a credit card too so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.
If you can check your credit card activity online, that's a good way to find out what's going on. But if you applied online, there's a good chance the application got "lost" or maybe delayed. CH seems to be getting better about processing online apps, but phoning it in is still usually more reliable.

After awhile you'll take these vanished applications as a matter of course- they happen. Try applying again in about a week, preferably with different enrollment selections just in case this application got stalled. It is frustrating to endure the illogical tedium, but overall it's worth it.
Old 08-17-06, 09:18 AM

Does CH check your credit? If so, isn't this bad for your credit for them to be doing that every time you sign up?
Old 08-17-06, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by egamipeaks
Does CH check your credit? If so, isn't this bad for your credit for them to be doing that every time you sign up?
If you mean your personal credit history or rating, no they don't. They do check the particular credit card you use to apply by placing a temporary charge on the card to make sure it's valid and has available funds, but this does not affect your credit.
Old 08-17-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I'll ask this again, since I didn't notice an answer last time.

Do they still have phone enrollment only titles? If so, is there a list of them somewhere here?
While it is likely that there are still some phone-only enrollment titles, the old thread listing them is so out of date that I doubt that it would be useful. If there is a newer list I don't recall it.

In general, phone-only enrollments are those DVDs that fell through the cracks in the Columbia House system. They were technically available for enrollment but didn't get coded that way on the website. Trying to ferret out those titles is difficult. I suppose that if everyone who enrolled by phone asked the CSR about certain SEs and similar titles not listed as enrollments on the website, we could create a new phone-only list. But it would take quite a bit of work.
Old 08-17-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, here's one: my mom's interested in giving this a shot, but since we have the same address and I already have two open accounts, would her application be "lost?" She'd be using her name and credit card, but I'm unsure if it'd go through because of the address thing. I figured with the 807748 code working right now, she could sign up, fulfill and close her account relatively soon thereafter.
Old 08-17-06, 02:01 PM

I just fullfilled my 2nd account. I'll be closing my first account as soon as the fullfillment order arrives. I was wondering, is there any point in using the funcash if its only $3? I'm guessing it's not.
Old 08-17-06, 02:04 PM

That's weird, I have have about 5 or 6 accounts now and have never recieved even One reminder e-mail. That really would make it much easier.
Old 08-17-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not really when you factor in shipping costs and the fact that if you're using FunCash, everything's at its full price. I had $10 in FC I just used to pick up an MGM title that can be had for $6.98 at DDD. Shipping was $2.99, so I saved about four bucks. I don't plan to use the $2 of FC left on that account.
Old 08-17-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by supfool!
That's weird, I have have about 5 or 6 accounts now and have never recieved even One reminder e-mail. That really would make it much easier.
Maybe you've canceled them way ahead of time. I know when I decline a DS it's usually a full 3 weeks or more before it would be shipped.
Old 08-17-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is there any way to get free shipping or other deals when using funcash?
Old 08-17-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, if I order a title like Rush Hour for example, which was originally released in a snapper, but has been rereleased in a keep case, which kind of cash should I expect from CH?
Old 08-17-06, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
Maybe you've canceled them way ahead of time. I know when I decline a DS it's usually a full 3 weeks or more before it would be shipped.
Yeah that must be it, I do cancel them way early.
Old 08-18-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WRT to DS reminder e-mails, Columbia House has a new program that allows all communication to be by e-mail, rather than get the regular mailings. One needs to select this option on one's account. After that, one gets e-mail reminders from CH about the DS, usually a couple of days after it appears in the account.

Can't recall getting reminder e-mails before selecting the e-mail communication only option, but like others I decline them very early.

As for the question about $3 in funcash, yes, it is worthless. Don't worry about it and just close the account.
Old 08-18-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Okay, here's one: my mom's interested in giving this a shot, but since we have the same address and I already have two open accounts, would her application be "lost?" She'd be using her name and credit card, but I'm unsure if it'd go through because of the address thing. I figured with the 807748 code working right now, she could sign up, fulfill and close her account relatively soon thereafter.
You could give it a try but my guess is that your mother's application would be "lost" or get a rejection letter. If she got the letter, she could call up and plead her case.

I would suggest that you close one of your accounts before she tries to open one. Best chance of success. Or use a different address, if one is available.
Old 08-18-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't help but to laugh at the fact that a $3.98 DVD using $7.00 in Fun Cash comes out to $4.14. Yes, I know how it all works, when using FC it charges you the higher price and all of that...but still.
Old 08-19-06, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by imp66
Is there any way to get free shipping or other deals when using funcash?
No. Shipping and regular prices apply. $2.99 shipping for 1st title and $1.99 for subsequent ones.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.