Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

Old 01-27-07, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you use online codes?

How do you use online/savings codes? I don't see the link for "looking for an offer in your mailing.
Old 01-27-07, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by trixie158
How do you use online/savings codes? I don't see the link for "looking for an offer in your mailing.

If you click on the details link of the current promotion (i.e. 60% when you buy 1) you will see a text box at the bottom of the page. You can enter your online code there.
Old 01-28-07, 07:18 PM

Is "The Guardian" one of those titles that will not be available at CH?
Old 01-29-07, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by AlfB
Is "The Guardian" one of those titles that will not be available at CH?
That's a BV title, so CH won't carry it.
Old 01-29-07, 06:43 PM

ohhh. Thank you so much.
Old 02-05-07, 04:47 AM

Hey guys - first let me introduce myself! The name is Ryan or beesonosu. I've been posting on filmtalk.com for about a year now and absolutely love the guys over there. Needless to say, I started collecting DVDs at about the same time. Somehow in all of my searches I have never stumbled upon this forum (or maybe I overlooked it) which looks really great! I look forward to being a regular poster and although I am a relatively new collector I hope that I can add something to the mix. I'll have to post my DVDAF site address soon but my collection of around 170 consists of mostly horror - old, new, exploitation, etc - and a few TV series. I enjoy all types of movies, however!

Anyways to my question - I signed up to Columbia House for the first time just LAST NIGHT (02/04) - but unfortunately signed up without codes. It is fittingly ironic that my friend Nidreu brought me to this site less than a day after I signed up (patience truly is a virtue)!
So, my transaction is currently in process - they say it may take a week. Is there any way that I could cancel this? After seeing some of these specials I am really kicking myself because currently I have to buy 4 more at $20!

I would be surprised if I could do this but I figure I might as well try! I'll talk to y'all later.
Old 02-05-07, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by beesonosu
So, my transaction is currently in process - they say it may take a week. Is there any way that I could cancel this? After seeing some of these specials I am really kicking myself because currently I have to buy 4 more at $20!
Welcome to the forum!

That standard CH offer isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I also enrolled with that back in 2004 before joining this forum. It's an account which I still maintain today.

You are given 2 years to fulfill your membership agreement. Just be patient and your 4 DVDs at $20 can easily average out to $10 per DVD with the numerous B1G1 codes that come along. That average doesn't include the 5 you've already chosen for 49 cents each.

You still have to wait for your approval e-mail. Look for "Welcome to the DVD Club" in your inbox soon. Even so, if you are approved, you'll still be able to add a 2nd account at your current address with all the same information -- but next time use a code, get 7 DVDs and fewer (2) to buy in 2 years.
Old 02-05-07, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Xbox! I do agree that the standard offer isn't terrible. I don't feel too bad about it because I tried did my research when choosing my nearly free DVDs. My strategy was to purchase films noted for their quality and extras, maximized savings, and that I thought would maintain their current prices the longest. That being said...

JFK Two-Disc Special Edition Director's Cut
Sergeant York Special Edition
Double Indemnity Legacy Series
The Deer Hunter Legacy Series
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Special Edition
Jaws 30Th Anniversary Edition
Slither - Guilty Pleasure here!

After price comparisons, I saved roughly $88 on a $27 purchase so I can't be too hateful of the situation! I can't wait for my code so I can start my 2nd account!
Old 02-05-07, 07:11 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Welcome to the forum Bees!

You are definitely in great company here when it comes to the CH club and what's what with everything that happens. Be sure to check out the other threads in this particular forum and you'll be given the heads up when certain offers such as 'Buy One Get One Free' (or BOGO/ B1G1) appear, or indeed 'Free shipping'. The best is when you get both combined, and on the rare occassion they also throw in free shipping for box sets too which makes the deal a bit more sweeter.

Check some of the posts further on up to check on some good codes to use. Like XBox said you can have 2 accounts open at the same time at the same address, so you could even go ahead and open up a second account now if you so wished.

Check the 'Recently Available for enrollment' post that will give you some good ideas for recent movies that are available for 49c.

Any questions or concerns, just post here and someone will be able to help you.
Old 02-08-07, 07:49 PM

Had this originally in my post on the "What did you get for the CH Enrollment" thread but it should really be here instead.

They approved me within two days and emailed me today saying my order has shipped. So far I haven't had any problems with them - may be it has something to do with the fact I used my credit card and did it online.

Last night I started my 2nd account - so still waiting on approval for that. I used a code and so I will only have to buy two with this account assuming it goes through. I think I did a decent job here too, ordering:

To Kill a Mockingbird Legacy
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Heat SE
Raging Bull SE
Crash (Cronenberg's 1997 Flick)
Bringing Up Baby SE
To Kill a Mockingbird Legacy

Oh yeah, the reason why I said decent and not great was because I'm an idiot and ordered two copies of TKaM - wanted to order Scarface Plantinum Edition instead. I caught my error immediately and emailed them promptly - twice actually, one in response to their automated e-mail saying they received my submission and one on their website help detailing the problem and providing them with the selection # of Scarface.

So, this is off the topic of the thread but what are my chances that I can either get my order straight or at least cancel my 2nd account order and just submit a new one? Anyone else "dumb" enough to do something like this?
Old 02-08-07, 11:02 PM

quick question: how often do those b1g1f coupons come along?
Old 02-09-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beesonosu
...So, this is off the topic of the thread but what are my chances that I can either get my order straight or at least cancel my 2nd account order and just submit a new one? Anyone else "dumb" enough to do something like this?
It is very hard to change a title in or cancel an enrollment. However, there is a chance that your second application might not go through anyway. If it does get accepted, your best option would be to give away or sell the duplicate title you ordered. Trying to return it to Columbia House, would be way more trouble that it is worth.
Old 02-09-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jetsounds
quick question: how often do those b1g1f coupons come along?
The short answer is that there is no way of knowing. Any suggestions as to when the next one would be coming would be a wild guess.

At times there have been several B1G1F offers at once. Other times there have been none for weeks. While it is likely that there will be such a sale offer in the near future, at any time Columbia House could discontinue the promotion permanently. We will just have to wait and see.
Old 02-11-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do these guys have something against Criterions? Looks like they only carry 5 at ch.com
Old 02-12-07, 02:44 AM

Thanks for the answer! I'm new to all this, so I'm still trying to figure out how it works. This site has been a godsend!
Old 02-12-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I apologize if the answer to this is buried in this thread somewhere, but is there a phone number to reach a live Customer Service rep?
Old 02-12-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bahgee
I apologize if the answer to this is buried in this thread somewhere, but is there a phone number to reach a live Customer Service rep?
That is a perfectly valid question and the answer is buried pretty deep in this thread.

It has been getting more and more difficult to reach an actual live CSR on the phone in recent months, especially for those with new accounts. As of November, it was reported that the following phone numbers still worked to get to a CSR:
888-467-7404
800-801-4039

(If anyone does manage to get through on the phone please post what number and technique that you used.)
Old 02-12-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Do these guys have something against Criterions? Looks like they only carry 5 at ch.com
My sense is that the handful of Criterions that Columbia House carried were something of an experiment. Since they never added more titles my guess would be that they didn't sell very well. It seems unlikely that more Criterion titles will be offered at CH. Sorry.
Old 02-12-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lizard
My sense is that the handful of Criterions that Columbia House carried were something of an experiment. Since they never added more titles my guess would be that they didn't sell very well. It seems unlikely that more Criterion titles will be offered at CH. Sorry.
Thanks. Here's my next question: according to their website, titles nominated or receiving Oscars earn double fun cash. My current cart holds 9 movies, four of which were nominated for or received Oscars, but I am told I only earn 18 bucks fun cash. Shouldn't that be 26 fun bucks ( 5 @ 2 bucks each + 4 @ 4 bucks each)?
Old 02-13-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Thanks. Here's my next question: according to their website, titles nominated or receiving Oscars earn double fun cash. My current cart holds 9 movies, four of which were nominated for or received Oscars, but I am told I only earn 18 bucks fun cash. Shouldn't that be 26 fun bucks ( 5 @ 2 bucks each + 4 @ 4 bucks each)?
Yes, you probably should get more funcash, and it is not unusual for a complicated-to-implement funcash promotion, like the Oscar one, to be screwed up. I rarely pay much attention to funcash, since for someone who cycles accounts the amount one receives is too small to bother with.

After you place your order, if the funcash total remains incorrect I suggest that you e-mail Columbia House ([email protected]) and request that the funcash total be corrected.
Old 02-19-07, 06:56 PM

Is there a way to turn the directors selection off?
Old 02-20-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ No. You will need to check your account(s) regularly and decline the DS when it appears. If you have signed up for e-mail service you should also get an e-mail reminder from Columbia House.

The Director's Selection is a major profit center for CH because many customers forget to decline them and keep them when they arrive, despite the high prices. So, it is not in the interest of Columbia House to allow club members to "turn off" the Director's Selections.

If you'd rather not bother with declining the DS every few weeks, you might want to fulfill your account quickly and then close it.
Old 03-04-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm thinking of giving this Columbia House thing a shot. I do have experience with BMG Music so I'm not completely in the dark on how clubs work. I've been reading through this section too. I just want to make sure I have this all straight and I'm using a good strategy to maximize what I get and get my price per DVD as low as possible.

I already know to look for the best enrollment code I can find. Right now the best I'm able to find is for 6 DVDs at .49 + 1 at 9.95 (which I want because it counts for fulfillment) + another 1 at 9.95 (which I don't want because it doesn't count and will just raise my overall per DVD cost). I was thinking for these 7 to pick out multi disc special editions since they have a higher cost. This would leave me with 2 needed for fulfillment where I'd try to find new releases or other movies that are never cheap elsewhere that are right at the 19.95 limit. Can you use sales for fulfillment? In particular, can I wait around for a B1G1 then buy two under it to fulfill and get a another free DVD with each? How often do the B1G1 sales turn up?

Am I on the right track here? Does anyone have any advice? Anything at all would be appreciated.
Old 03-04-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

You're on the right track. The BOGO codes seem to pop up evey few weeks or so. What you would want to do is to wait for a BOGO that includes free shipping. Grab a preorder for $19.95 and then take another title for free. Do the same thing on a second order for your second fulfillment.

The final tally should be as follows-

7 enrollments for $12.89(plus tax if applicable)
2 preorders that count as fulfillments $39.90
2 titles for free

11 titles for $52.79(plus tax)
Average cost per title $4.79(plus tax).

It used to be even better when they had the $5 off of $30 web coupon.
Old 03-04-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks. I didn't realize they did BOGO with free shipping, that's even better than what I had figured. I'll definitely try to wait for that to come around. Just out of curiosity, what is the regular shipping rate? I saw someplace that said 2.99 + 1.99 for each additional title, is that correct?

I may go ahead and try to get an account or two going so I'll be ready to fulfill with the next BOGO with free shipping.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.