Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are all of those DVDs listed for sale prices and saying "NO OTHER PURCHASE NECESSARY" coming up at full price for any of you as well?
Old 12-15-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Are all of those DVDs listed for sale prices and saying "NO OTHER PURCHASE NECESSARY" coming up at full price for any of you as well?
There are a few that were showing up at full price. Others were showing up correctly discounted. It seems odd did you notice the "offers" just after you ADD the selections? There's a 2 for $18 sale going on but I don't see any other link to it. I wonder if that might have anything to do with it.
Old 12-19-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i was wondering just how long of a time frame i should wait until i consider my application to be rejected. it's been 3 weeks and no word back. anyone had to wait that long before?
Old 12-20-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^After three weeks, the application is probably "lost". Just to be on the safe side, it would help if you chose new titles for the next enrollment application.
Old 12-22-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
Yes, it did, and the release date was changed. I note that Amazon and DVD Empire still list Crank with a release date of 1/9/07. Perhaps that will be changing also. I'll just mark it as missing, for now.
FYI - Crank is back on the preorder page. Same release date I believe.
Old 12-22-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Saw that. I've taken my note off the listing and boldfaced it as new. It is the same release date.
Old 12-22-06, 01:21 PM

Is CH's selection of music DVDs as meager as it appears?
Old 12-22-06, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Is CH's selection of music DVDs as meager as it appears?
in a word, yes... but i guess that depends on what you're looking for... for my tastes, there isn't a thing i wanted...
Old 12-23-06, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by blaze1984
in a word, yes... but i guess that depends on what you're looking for... for my tastes, there isn't a thing i wanted...
I agree. I was looking for Rush R30, Metallica's S&M, other hard rock & metal DVDs. CH mostly seems to carry rap and hip-hop.
Old 12-28-06, 03:43 PM

I just got a letter in the mail from CH saying that I owe $87.76 for failure to fulfill my commitment. It says that they have sent reminders to me but I have yet to receive one. I went ahead and paid the remaining balance online, but I am unable to select my 4 remaining selections because my account has been closed.
Old 12-28-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by scfrack
I just got a letter in the mail from CH saying that I owe $87.76 for failure to fulfill my commitment. It says that they have sent reminders to me but I have yet to receive one. I went ahead and paid the remaining balance online, but I am unable to select my 4 remaining selections because my account has been closed.
If they stay true to form you'll get 4 certificates, each good for a single "regular price" DVD along with a catalog from which to order.
Old 12-29-06, 07:37 AM

online "certificates" or in the mail?
Old 12-29-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by scfrack
online "certificates" or in the mail?
In the mail. You can usually redeem these over the phone as well.
Old 01-07-07, 05:16 PM

I'm wondering why there are some titles by studios carried but not others. Examples being Anchor Bay, Criterion, Lionsgate, and one I would really like are the dragon dynasty titles. I know the Weinstein company just started offering their titles through CH. Why's this happen? It makes me confused.
Old 01-07-07, 08:34 PM

well since i pickedup an hddvd drive over the weekend [360 addon] i figured i might as well ask...does anyone know if/when CH is going to carry hddvd discs?

i would almost expect to see an "HD Club" along the lines of the tv club

just wondering if anyone had information, thanks.
Old 01-08-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ The short answer is no. I have had HD DVD since August and hope that Columbia House will eventually sell HD DVDs (and BDs) but the market for high def discs is so tiny that it wouldn't be worth their trouble at this point. Perhaps next year the market will have grown enough for CH to start a high definition club.
Old 01-08-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by supfool!
I'm wondering why there are some titles by studios carried but not others. Examples being Anchor Bay, Criterion, Lionsgate, and one I would really like are the dragon dynasty titles. I know the Weinstein company just started offering their titles through CH. Why's this happen? It makes me confused.
Columbia House has always been a bit "hit-or-miss" on which titles they carry. In the case of Criterions it was clearly an experiment that didn't seem to work, so they haven't added any more titles.

In general, they seem to pick the titles that they think will be most popular. But what you want may be different from what they think their customer base will want. Given that some major studios won't let CH offer their DVDs, the CH catalog of 10,000 or so DVDs is pretty extensive.

Columbia House used to have a link on the website where club members could request certain titles (and it worked) but it has since disappeared.

CH is best used for buying what they offer, that you want, at bargain prices. You can then use your savings to buy elsewhere the titles they don't carry.
Old 01-08-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi
I need some advise my balances on my CH CLUB is way out of whack with the invoices i have i returned some dvds and because those returns didn't get back to them in time I am also being charged the late fees since I didn't pay for them.. I pay the invoices as I collect them and so far I am up to date i should have a 0.00 balance but it shows as much more ? I called and spoke to someone a couple of times for a statement of payments i made etc and even emailed them to ask about the discrepancies but the answers I get back are not very helpful ;( so i am stuck with this account being still open and late fees and charges for items i have returned not being credited ...

I guess my question is has this happened to anyone before and what was the end results ?

Also does CH now charge you in advance for Preorders ?? maybe that would explain the difference i see online ?

thanks
Old 01-08-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DisneyDVDFAN
Also does CH now charge you in advance for Preorders ?? maybe that would explain the difference i see online ?

thanks
Yes they do. I noticed that a couple of months ago.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=480478

I'm also on "Bill Me". I've seen them add to my balance a week before it ships. Lately, though, it's being billed the same week of release. I'm currently expecting a $22 charge for a pre-order tomorrow, 1/9.

EDIT: Another thing, I pay with my bankcard using the "one time credit card payment" option and choose partial payment. I see my balance updated instantaneously although it doesn't actually post to my bank until 2 - 3 days later. Pending charge shows up right away though.

Last edited by Xbox69; 01-08-07 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 05:10 PM
Banned

Here's something interesting: I went to cancel two different accounts. One let me do it online, the other gave me the phone number instead.
Old 01-08-07, 06:23 PM

Speaking of HDDVD drives -

Slightly off-topic question for DanTheApe - will the HDDVD drive you found play true hi-def through your current graphics card & monitor - so far I've only found a couple of new nVidia 8800 ($600+) cards that definitely have the DRM interface ("handshake") and even then it sounds like I'd also have to replace my two-year-old top of the line ViewSonic LCD - your experience?
Old 01-11-07, 09:42 PM

I signed up for the Columbia House TV Club, as I have several times before, and received my welcome email the same day I received my enrollment selections. Unfortunately, despite having an account number and receiving additional promotional emails, I am unable to log into my account. Clicking a link from any of the emails I receive or attempting to log in manually using my account number results in the following error message: "We're sorry! Our website is unavailable right now, while we perform System maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please stop by later today, when our site will be back up and running."

Of course I called "customer service" but they advised me that I would need to talk to the website support department, which they have not been able to transfer me to thus far, saying that the department is too busy.

Anyone have this problem before and find a way to get past it?
Old 01-11-07, 10:27 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
If I order the almdovar collection with another dvd with buy one get one and they cancel it, will they charge me full price for the other dvd that was free? thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi
Well my first really bad experience with CH I need some advise...

Today after many emails about my balance on my account and late fees being charges I get a letter ...stating "when we billed you the DUE ON CONTRACT charge we billed you the average club price of 19.95 for each remaining selection and issued you acertificates in exchange for your payment" I got 5 Certificates for DVDS 19.95 or less ;(
My account has been fulfilled a long time ago and even if it wasn't there should be only 2 certificates anyway since I signed for 2 more dvds ... but anyway i have been a preferred member as soon as i joined i fulfilled. so I don't know what is going on ?
I don't want Certificates I want my account cleared up I have no idea what is going on with CH and this account ?

So my question what should i do ? Has this happened to someone before ?

the balance on my account I thought was there for DVDS i returned but haven't been processed as yet ? but CH is saying something else ? are they just trying to soothe my feelings by giving me FREE DVDS ?

i am going to call them again today to clear up this mess but whenever I call the CSR always says yes and she will sort whatever out and then nothing changes ??

Any advise will be appreciated

thanks
Old 01-12-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrAngles
I signed up for the Columbia House TV Club, as I have several times before, and received my welcome email the same day I received my enrollment selections. Unfortunately, despite having an account number and receiving additional promotional emails, I am unable to log into my account. Clicking a link from any of the emails I receive or attempting to log in manually using my account number results in the following error message: "We're sorry! Our website is unavailable right now, while we perform System maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please stop by later today, when our site will be back up and running."

Of course I called "customer service" but they advised me that I would need to talk to the website support department, which they have not been able to transfer me to thus far, saying that the department is too busy.

Anyone have this problem before and find a way to get past it?
That sounds like a cookie problem. Delete all Columbia House cookies and try again to click through on your e-mail. If that doesn't work, just go directly to columbiahouse.com and see if that works.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.