DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Free Shipping for orders over $50

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Free Shipping for orders over $50

Just got this in an e-mail:

Enjoy FREE SHIPPING when you purchase $50 or more and get all the DVDs you want. This special is available for ONLY 48 HOURS, so shop today!

Code is 804456.

I suppose this deal is ok for those who are interested in expensive box sets over $50. But the trend seems to be that Columbia House is continuing to refine their sale offers so that they are of less and less value to the customers.

It gets worse: code 804457 is:

When you buy 3 titles and pay regular shipping & processing on each title, get FREE SHIPPING on the 4th DVD and any additional DVDs you buy! Offer does not include sets or other specially priced items.

How's that for a new wrinkle on the old "free shipping for three" offers?

They're getting more clever!

804459 is:

Get FREE SHIPPING on your Entire Order when you spend $50+! Offer does not include sets or other specially priced items.

804455 is:

Plus, as one of our Best Members get Free Shipping when you buy 4+ titles!

Hmm... "Free shipping for four"? That's not too bad I guess, if one wants to buy a lot of titles.

804454 and 804452 are:

Plus, as one of our Best Members get 10% Off your entire order!

Happy shopping.

Last edited by lizard; 07-05-06 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Thanks for the codes but no thanks CH. They better get it together or these accounts I have open may be the last for quite some time.
Old 07-05-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With offers like these, CH must really want members to stay for the full 2 years.
Old 07-05-06, 02:00 PM
Hex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While we can all agree that this isn't the best offer to come down the line recently, there are some angles you can play with it. One example: grab a pair of those mid-price box sets that normally don't fit in with a good strategy. You know, the ones that are around $30: too high to be good single-credit fulfillments, too low to count as two. Getting two of those can fulfill a membership at a pretty reasonable price. I'm considering pre-ordering Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain with this one. With the $5 first order discount and free shipping, it comes out to $62.42. Meanwhile, the best current pre-order price for the two together elsewhere is $62.98 shipped. Seems pretty decent to me...
Old 07-05-06, 02:52 PM
Banned

If you still have the WEBDVD coupon and need three titles to fulfill, here's a great option to use with the free shipping code -- The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Old 07-05-06, 10:57 PM

Definitely not the best deals ever, but it is somewhat promising to see that free shipping is still part of their overall marketing strategy. Hopefully they'll work their way up to deal where it's included with a B1G1.

But I'm not really complaining in any case. I'll use this current offer to fulfill another $5.xx per DVD account.
Old 07-06-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cancelled my account today. I see no point in keeping an account open anymore. I'll sign up for a new one later, once I find enough titles I want. I'm in no hurry anymore...
Old 07-06-06, 09:15 AM

For what it's worth, I just got a CH call with a B1G1F offer. S&H was there, but it was still a good deal. So B1G1 isn't entirely dead...
Old 07-06-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
...I'm in no hurry anymore...
Nor am I. I am mostly waiting for the high definition disc format wars to shake out and hope that Columbia House will offer those at some point.
Old 07-07-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More free shipping codes today. The e-mail I got with the first one says it expires July 9 so that may be true for the others as well. Sets are excluded again.

804464: ...Plus get FREE SHIPPING on your Entire Order! Offer does not include sets or other specially priced items.

804463: ...Plus get FREE SHIPPING on your Entire Order when you buy 5+ titles. Offer does not include sets or other specially priced items.

804462: ...Plus get FREE SHIPPING on your Entire Order when you buy 4+ titles. Offer does not include sets or other specially priced items.
Old 07-07-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
All 3 of my emails stated that If I bought 3 dvds I would get free shipping on the 4th title and any titles bought thereafter. What a rip! I would still have to pay shipping on the first three titles regardless. This is about as worthless of an offer that I have ever seen. They sure aren't looking to move many dvds in the near future are they? Here's a middle finger for CH.
Old 07-07-06, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lizard
More free shipping codes today. The e-mail I got with the first one says it expires July 9 so that may be true for the others as well. Sets are excluded again.

804464: ...Plus get FREE SHIPPING on your Entire Order! Offer does not include sets or other specially priced items.
What does this mean exactly? I tried to preorder BSG 2.5 and it's charging me for shipping. Are all pre-orders considered "specially priced items" now?

Or maybe WEBDVD counts as a special now too.
Old 07-07-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
All 3 of my emails stated that If I bought 3 dvds I would get free shipping on the 4th title and any titles bought thereafter. What a rip! I would still have to pay shipping on the first three titles regardless. This is about as worthless of an offer that I have ever seen. They sure aren't looking to move many dvds in the near future are they? Here's a middle finger for CH.
If you don't like the ones you got in the e-mail you can try some of the better ones I have listed. (They aren't all "buy three at regular shipping then free shipping on the rest".)

Those of us here are Columbia House account optimizers and try to squeeze out the best deals. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of CH customers buy more than the minimum and some likely respond to these sale offer promotions that we consider worthless.

Even with NO sale offers we can get DVDs for $5.86 each. Assuming we can still open new accounts that is ... but that's an issue from another thread...
Old 07-07-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas
What does this mean exactly? I tried to preorder BSG 2.5 and it's charging me for shipping. Are all pre-orders considered "specially priced items" now?

Or maybe WEBDVD counts as a special now too.
BSG 2.5 IS a 'specially priced item', as can be told by 'Special Club Price' instead of 'Sale Price'