DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

TV Edition Club, Discussion thread

Old 01-01-07, 12:38 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by AlfB
I have been gone for a while and have never done anything in the TV club. I am looking at joining the TV club and my decision is dependent on the avg cost of sets. Please correct me if wrong but from what I read, BOGO offers are available for sets but you can't get a set free normally? Also free shipping is rarely but sometimes available for box sets beyond enrollment? When BOGOs are used with sets, what can you get free? Last question is what is generally the best option for keeping sets down in price if you are concentrating on sets and not really trying to get individual DVDs. Thanks for the help in getting me back up to speed here.
1) Use code HDL for the TV Edition club. If you can get it approved, it is the best deal going: 2 sets for $9.95, 2 fulfillments of $19.95 or greater.

2) Sets count as the "B1" in B1G1F offers. They are valued at the "Special" price. So, if you bought a set at 44.97 as a fulfillment you could get any regular DVD as a freebie, for example: a high value Criterion. But "Special" priced items, including sets, can't be used as freebies.

3) In the last eight months, a free shipping offer has applied to sets just once. It is very rare so I wouldn't count on being able to find such an offer. B1G1F is a better deal anyway. B1G1F plus free shipping is the best deal of all, and fairly common. But, again, the free shipping will almost always apply to regular priced DVDs only, not "Special" priced sets.

4) The best way to buy sets at Columbia House is to focus on those that cost $39.95 or more as fulfillments, because they count for two fulfillment credits. Or look for sets "Special" priced in the mid to low $20 range since they make good fulfillments with B1G1F offers. The $5 off webdiscount is finally dead, after three years, so don't count that in your calculations.

You will find that the enrollment selections on the TV Edition website are limited so you likely won't want to cycle through very many memberships. Also, the HDL code can be hard to get approved if you have used it more than a couple of times before. If that happens, giving it a rest for a few months helps.


Try to select sets that are considerably cheaper at CH than you can get them for elsewhere. The relative cost calculations go something like this using B1G1F and free shipping (excluding sets):

[I will value regular DVDs at $6.42, now that the webdiscount is gone.]

Enrollment: $9.95 (2 sets)
Fulfillment: $44.97 + (free DVD) + $7.99 (shipping) = $52.96 (1 set + 1 DVD)
Total: $9.95 + $52.96 = $65.85 (3 sets + 1 DVD)
Relative cost of the sets: ($65.85 - $6.42)/3 = $19.81

While $19.81 can be a good deal for a higher value set, there are many good deals elsewhere for lower value sets, so it isn't that great a price for those. TV Edition enrollments tend to be lower value sets, so buying those might be a wash but enable you to get a higher value set as a fulfillment for a low relative cost.

Here's a scenario for lower value sets as fulfillments using B1G1F and free shipping (excluding sets):
Enrollment: $9.95 (2 sets)
Fulfillment: $24.97 + (free DVD) + $24.97 + (free DVD) +$5.99 +$5.99 (shipping) = $61.92 (2 sets + 2 DVDs)
Total: $9.95 + $61.92 = $71.87 (4 sets + 2 DVDs)
Relative cost of the sets: ($71.87 - $6.42 x 2)/4 = $14.76

While these deals may not look very good, bear in mind that the free DVDs can be fairly high value ones. For example Casino Royale, a $24.95 pre-order DVD, could be used as a freebie along with the fulfillment sets. But, sets aren't as good a deal at Columbia House as they used to be, now that prices are dropping at other stores.

5) Welcome Back!

Last edited by lizard; 01-01-07 at 12:45 PM.
lizard is offline  
Old 01-01-07, 05:03 PM
  #52  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Simpsonville SC
Posts: 185
Thanks Lizard for the details. That filled in some of the gaps I was not sure of. Its a shame that some of the better codes don't completely work for sets but thats the reality of the situation.
AlfB is offline  
Old 01-15-07, 07:37 PM
  #53  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11
Does anyone have a TV club enrollment code that doesn't require a credit card - they're usually 2 for $9.95 & come with "we want you back" mailings, but I haven't gotten one recently. I have good psn's, but Columbia House has done enough strange things with my credit cards that I like to get the first shipment in hand before I give up the numbers -
ronstone00 is offline  
Old 01-16-07, 09:49 AM
  #54  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
I can't recall ever seeing such a mail offer, but I don't get any snail mail offers from Columbia House nowadays. Such an offer would be big news around here.
lizard is offline  
Old 01-19-07, 10:53 AM
  #55  
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5
I notices that on the regular sight with the HDL code, I couldn't select the first seasone of Battlestar Galactica or Hogan's Heros, but on the old sight, I could.

Anyone else see things like that?
rallenii is offline  
Old 01-20-07, 09:15 AM
  #56  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,923
Originally Posted by rallenii
I notices that on the regular sight with the HDL code, I couldn't select the first seasone of Battlestar Galactica or Hogan's Heros, but on the old sight, I could.

Anyone else see things like that?
Try clearing your cookies. I just went to the regular site, entered HDL (I did not use the link with the code already entered, I did it manually as I have always done), and put both BSG and HH in my cart without problem.
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 02-24-07, 10:24 AM
  #57  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,804
Is there any way to get Supernatural Season 1 on a phone app... I saw it added to the 'by mailing' list. Is there a code on the mailing that anyone is willing to share?

Also, is there a code that you can use successfully on a phone app that will give you a great deal like HDL? I ask because I've gotten pretty much everything I want (TV on DVD) that is available @ their online sign-up site...

Thanks in advance!!!
leeta is offline  
Old 02-25-07, 01:04 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by leeta
Is there any way to get Supernatural Season 1 on a phone app... I saw it added to the 'by mailing' list. Is there a code on the mailing that anyone is willing to share?

Also, is there a code that you can use successfully on a phone app that will give you a great deal like HDL? I ask because I've gotten pretty much everything I want (TV on DVD) that is available @ their online sign-up site...

Thanks in advance!!!
LE5 was the best code that worked on the phone but it was reported that it no longer works (you could give it a try, 800-861-9505, two sets for $9.95, buy one more set for $14.95 and reduce commitments to three). If there are any other semi decent phone codes I am not aware of it; to the best of my knowledge, there were never phone codes as good as HDL. (HDL is something of a glitch that Columbia House chooses not to fix and chooses to accept some of the time.)

Nor do I know what the standard mail-in offer is. (I'd be interested in knowing that, if someone who has one would post.)
lizard is offline  
Old 02-25-07, 02:39 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,804
Originally Posted by lizard
LE5 was the best code that worked on the phone but it was reported that it no longer works (you could give it a try, 800-861-9505, two sets for $9.95, buy one more set for $14.95 and reduce commitments to three). If there are any other semi decent phone codes I am not aware of it; to the best of my knowledge, there were never phone codes as good as HDL. (HDL is something of a glitch that Columbia House chooses not to fix and chooses to accept some of the time.)

Nor do I know what the standard mail-in offer is. (I'd be interested in knowing that, if someone who has one would post.)
Thanks lizard.
leeta is offline  
Old 02-26-07, 06:05 PM
  #60  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: West Coast
Posts: 92


I was looking at the letter they sent (why to join blah blah) and I noticed it says to respond by feb 8th 2007. I hope it's not a limited offer. Couldn't hurt to try calling
canucker45 is offline  
Old 02-26-07, 08:03 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
^ Hard to see why a Columbia House enrollment offer would be time limited. If it is a good deal, I'd give it a try.
lizard is offline  
Old 02-26-07, 08:12 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,804
Thanks for sharing canucker45!
leeta is offline  
Old 02-27-07, 09:41 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,804
I just successfully (so far ) used the 6J1 code over the phone. It was get 2 for a total of $19.95 and buy 2 more at regular prices ($19.95 or higher) over the next year. Now for approval and some BOGO codes! I have been wanting to get Supernatural for a while... now to see if the app goes through...

They asked for the preferred status number from the mailing so I just gave them one of my old ones... Hopefully that won't be a snag. Sure wish they would add these titles to the online list.

Thanks again to all!
leeta is offline  
Old 03-05-07, 11:04 AM
  #64  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,598
Originally Posted by leeta
I just successfully (so far ) used the 6J1 code over the phone. It was get 2 for a total of $19.95 and buy 2 more at regular prices ($19.95 or higher) over the next year. Now for approval and some BOGO codes! I have been wanting to get Supernatural for a while... now to see if the app goes through...

They asked for the preferred status number from the mailing so I just gave them one of my old ones... Hopefully that won't be a snag. Sure wish they would add these titles to the online list.

Thanks again to all!
I also got approved with the 6J1. I bought House Season 2 and something else that I do not remember. Definitely need BOGO codes.
gimmepilotwings is offline  
Old 03-05-07, 11:22 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,804
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
I also got approved with the 6J1. I bought House Season 2 and something else that I do not remember. Definitely need BOGO codes.
Good news!

My app went through also. It's great to have some new choices.
leeta is offline  
Old 03-05-07, 11:50 AM
  #66  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,598
Originally Posted by leeta
Good news!

My app went through also. It's great to have some new choices.
Totally. I was pleasantly shocked to see my credit card charged.

Time for some BOGO's to pop up. I haven't ordered from CH in a few months.
gimmepilotwings is offline  
Old 03-06-07, 11:38 AM
  #67  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charm City
Posts: 59
I have another success story to share...decided to take a stab at applying to the TV Club (this is my first TV account; I'm a veteran of the regular club) - I'm in!

I applied online with HDL on 2/26/07 and got the acceptance e-mail this morning, so in case anyone was wondering, it does still work. Thanks to the OP for the codes.
Operator13 is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 08:42 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CANADA
Posts: 1,056
Just answered the phone and got the House Season 2 for 19.95 and paying with CC right away deducted 5.00 for got the set for 14.95 and they will send out a Certificate for the FREE SET to chose from the catalog once I get the enrollment package... then i have 2 dvds more to buy...

Well hopefully it goes through...

I didn't have to give out a PSN but they called offering since I am a member in good Standing with a previous account.

well we see if i get accepted in a couple of days...
DisneyDVDFAN is offline  
Old 03-22-07, 07:00 PM
  #69  
Fan
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 39
Can someone post what the HDL code means in dollars and cents PER DVD?

It is claimed to be the best code, but there is no detailed description of the HDL code savings versus other code savings.

The HDL link takes me to this offer:
  • 9.95 for 2 TV sets, with free shipping
  • 19.95 obligation (such as a single DVD)
  • 19.95 obligation (such as a single DVD)
  • 2.99 shipping for first obligation
  • 1.99 shipping for second obligation
  • no sales tax
  • no additional shipping
  • Total 54.83 = 13.70 each ?

And then someone else wrote:

". . . . B1G1F code with free shipping that comes around from time to time, you'll get 4 regular dvds instead of just 2."

Four (4) regular DVDs instead of 2?
Does this mean that if I wait to fulfill my 2 regular dvds at 19.95, then the BIG1F code will allow me to get 4 instead of 2 with free shipping??

If so, then the following may be true:
  • 9.95 for 2 TV sets, with free shipping
  • 19.95 Two DVDs with code BIG1F
  • 19.95 Two DVDs with code BIG1F
  • no sales tax
  • no additional shipping
  • Total 49.85 for six (6) DVDs = $8.31 each ?

Please help me with clarification.

Thanks!
Fan is offline  
Old 03-23-07, 06:48 AM
  #70  
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 2,806
The second set of math looks good to me because there is a BOGO code with free shipping that I believe is good until midnight on 25th March.

Hopefully I'll get approved pretty quick on my new account that I opened last night and can take advantage of the offer and get my account fulfilled already.

I chose to pick up:

Las Vegas Season 1
Freaks & Geeks


**edit** the code is question is 802228

Check the Sales Offers Part 2 thread further up the board for more codes on the last page

Last edited by DVDMagic; 03-23-07 at 06:50 AM.
DVDMagic is offline  
Old 03-23-07, 10:07 AM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by Fan
...
". . . . B1G1F code with free shipping that comes around from time to time, you'll get 4 regular dvds instead of just 2."

Four (4) regular DVDs instead of 2?
Does this mean that if I wait to fulfill my 2 regular dvds at 19.95, then the BIG1F code will allow me to get 4 instead of 2 with free shipping??

If so, then the following may be true:
  • 9.95 for 2 TV sets, with free shipping
  • 19.95 Two DVDs with code BIG1F
  • 19.95 Two DVDs with code BIG1F
  • no sales tax
  • no additional shipping
  • Total 49.85 for six (6) DVDs = $8.31 each ?

Please help me with clarification.

Thanks!
Just averaging an entire package that includes sets and regular DVDs isn't a useful way to think about it. Instead I recommend valuing the regular DVDs at what they would cost in a regular club membership. This would be $6.41 each if not using any sale offers, $5.70 each if using BOGOF but no free shipping, and $4.80 if using BOGOF plus free shipping. So, let's assume that you typically expect to use a BOGOF plus free shipping sale offer on your memberships; your average value of a DVD would be $4.80.

A TV Edition club membership using HDL and a BOGOF plus free shipping offer would look like this:

Enrollment: $9.95 (two sets)
Fulfillment: $19.95 + (free DVD) + $19.95 + (free DVD) = $39.90 (four DVDs)
Total: $9.95 + $39.90 = $49.85 (two sets + four DVDs)
Relative cost of the sets: ($49.85 - ($4.80 x 4))/2 = ($49.85 - $19.20)/2 = $30.65/2 = $15.325 each

Looking at it this way the sets aren't quite as good a deal because you overvalued the regular DVDs when you just did a straight average of both sets and regular DVDs.

Last edited by lizard; 05-07-07 at 08:45 AM.
lizard is offline  
Old 03-26-07, 10:15 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,457
Is there a link to the main tv club page? The one hdl one goes to the standard 5 for 49 cent offer not for boxed sets. Google gives dead links.
movieguru is offline  
Old 03-27-07, 09:32 AM
  #73  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
^ Thanks for pointing that out. I have updated the HDL link to new website in the first post in this thread. The HDL link to the old website still works ok.

And to answer your question directly: the way to get to the main TV Edition page is to go to columbiahouse.com and click on the TV Edition links on the lower right side of the page.

The new TV Edition web page using HDL.
lizard is offline  
Old 03-27-07, 05:10 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,923
Originally Posted by lizard
^ Thanks for pointing that out. I have updated the HDL link to new website in the first post in this thread. The HDL link to the old website still works ok.

And to answer your question directly: the way to get to the main TV Edition page is to go to columbiahouse.com and click on the TV Edition links on the lower right side of the page.

The new TV Edition web page using HDL.
You can also go to the main TV on DVD signup page and enter HDL in the "Do you have a savings code?" box. I did just that Saturday and got my "Welcome to the Club" email today.

Now if only there were some BOGO codes that worked...
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 03-28-07, 11:03 AM
  #75  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
^ True. The HDL links are provided as a convenience. (Although, at one time, the links were the only way to join the TV Edition club using HDL, so I prefer to keep them archived.)

It is likely that there will be some new BOGOF codes soon.
lizard is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.