DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Clubs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs-13/)
-   -   TV Edition Club, Discussion thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/469710-tv-edition-club-discussion-thread.html)

Erreth 08-24-06 10:51 AM

Just got approved on a HDL web app over the weekend. In fact just got an email stating the DVDs have shipped. This is actually my 7th time having HDL go through, I can only recall one time having one become lostt. Much better percentage than my regualr CH apps.

lizard 08-24-06 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
I've recently tried both HDL and HJ6 enrollments online recently. No dice. Are online enrollments dead? Must you use the phone?

Technically HDL and HJ6 are obsolete codes that CH chooses to honor sometimes.

You could try LE5 on-line (I believe it has been reported to no longer work on the phone): three sets for $24.90, three to fulfill (the offer terms on the website are incorrect).

Or you could wait a few weeks and try again with HDL. Why some applications get accepted and others do not remains a mystery.

DVDsport16 08-28-06 03:12 AM

Do you have to buy TV sets to fulfill your committment, or can you buy regular CH DVDs? What makes the most sense? Thanks!

Xbox69 08-28-06 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by DVDsport16
Do you have to buy TV sets to fulfill your committment, or can you buy regular CH DVDs? What makes the most sense? Thanks!

You can buy the regular $19.95 (and up) selections as fulfillments.

Peep 08-31-06 06:25 PM

What's the best advice for fulfilling cheaply?

Erreth 08-31-06 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
What's the best advice for fulfilling cheaply?

Same advice as the regular club, try to wait for a Buy One Get One Free, with a Free Shipping Offer. Then order 2 Pre-orders taking two regular priced items for the freebies. Be sure to do it through the webdvd link to get your $5 off. This should get you the lowest possible prices while still counting as fulfilments. Should run you $34.94 or more if your state gets taxed.

Peep 08-31-06 07:49 PM

I didn't realize that codes like that worked for the TV club. Thanks.

hellboy666 10-06-06 04:31 PM

I got an offer for the TV Club in the mail recently and noticed some of the selections they offer aren't available on the enrollment website (specifically, the FLASH caught my eye). Does anyone know why this is, or what the odds of these other titles ending up on the enrollment website are? Obviously I'd much rather use the website since I can get a better deal.

lizard 10-06-06 08:12 PM

Perhaps they will be adding the new titles to the website. But with Columbia House, nothing is certain.

hellboy666 10-08-06 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
But with Columbia House, nothing is certain.

Ain't that the truth!

zekeburger1979 10-20-06 01:20 PM

I joined the TV Club and selected Battlestar Galactica: The Miniseries and Season 1 for my enrollment selections. Both for $9.95! I got the Miniseries last Friday, but haven't gotten Season 1 yet. The card that was in the box with the mini-series made it look like Season 1 was shipped with it.

When I joined the DVD Club, my enrollment selections were split and shipped seperately. I don't remember how long it was in between arrivals, but I'm wondering how much longer should I wait before I call or e-mail to find out where Season 1 went.

The weird thing is, when I went to my mailbox last Friday night, I noticed that the box was sitting on top of the mailbox since it was too big to fit inside it. I saw that one flap was opened, but the other two were sealed. I wonder if someone saw the box, somehow was able to grab the Season 1 boxset, and left the Miniseries and the bill in the box.

I don't want Columbia House to think that I'm trying to steal merchandise from them.

Also, when I sign in to the TV site, it doesn't show a history of my enrollment order, and I can't use the return link since I have nothing in my history to return. Any suggestions?

BobO'Link 10-20-06 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I joined the TV Club and selected Battlestar Galactica: The Miniseries and Season 1 for my enrollment selections...

Just curious as to why you also got the Miniseries as it is included on the Season 1 box set. It's disk 1 of the set with the other 13 episodes on disks 2-5. The only set I'm aware of that does not include the Miniseries is the Best Buy S1 Exclusive (OOP) which was a Region 1 transfer of the UK version.

Every TV-DVD enrollment shipment I've received has had a large rubber band holding the selections together with the membership envelope laying on top. All of my TV-DVD enrollment shipments have been in a larger box typically reserved for box sets and multiple DVD orders. CH never adds padding to prevent the product from bouncing around in the box. More than one shipment has had LOTS of extra room in the box. All have been very well glued. If yours did not have a rubber band the S1 set might not have shipped.

Also, it's common for the enrollment shipment to not show up on your account information online. I don't ever remember seeing the enrollment shipment on my TV-DVD memberships.

I've typically had good success using Email to get problems sorted out. Just be VERY CLEAR on what happened and what you would like to have done. Use simple, non-threatning statements and put each on a separate line. Expect a CSR to misread your problem at least once! Plan on several emails before someone with a brain gets what your problem is and actually gives you a solution.

If you get the problem with the missing S1 set resolved you might want to check into exchanging the Miniseries for another set.

zekeburger1979 10-20-06 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Just curious as to why you also got the Miniseries as it is included on the Season 1 box set. It's disk 1 of the set with the other 13 episodes on disks 2-5. The only set I'm aware of that does not include the Miniseries is the Best Buy S1 Exclusive (OOP) which was a Region 1 transfer of the UK version.

Every TV-DVD enrollment shipment I've received has had a large rubber band holding the selections together with the membership envelope laying on top. All of my TV-DVD enrollment shipments have been in a larger box typically reserved for box sets and multiple DVD orders. CH never adds padding to prevent the product from bouncing around in the box. More than one shipment has had LOTS of extra room in the box. All have been very well glued. If yours did not have a rubber band the S1 set might not have shipped.

Also, it's common for the enrollment shipment to not show up on your account information online. I don't ever remember seeing the enrollment shipment on my TV-DVD memberships.

I've typically had good success using Email to get problems sorted out. Just be VERY CLEAR on what happened and what you would like to have done. Use simple, non-threatning statements and put each on a separate line. Expect a CSR to misread your problem at least once! Plan on several emails before someone with a brain gets what your problem is and actually gives you a solution.

If you get the problem with the missing S1 set resolved you might want to check into exchanging the Miniseries for another set.

Thanks for the info. I was completely unaware that Season 1 also included the Miniseries. If and when I get Season 1, I'll look into trading it for another series.

lizard 10-27-06 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by emerald9999
I was able to join last week via HDL link/web, getting Nip/Tuck S2 and CSI:NY as my enrollment selections. I had given up trying for about 6 months and the first one went right through.

Nice to know that it still works if you give it a rest for awhile.

lizard 11-30-06 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Legolas
Is anyone having problems getting HDL to work? I got in earlier, but the website kept spitting up an error message whenever I tried to add a title to the shopping cart.

But now I can't even get in the website using the HDL link and it gives me this message:

[ServletException in:/WEB-INF/jsp/qjr/components/common/header2_TV.jsp] null' [ServletException in:null] unknown including page `null'.'
Your session has expired.
Please click here to begin a new session.

Seems to work fine for me. I used HDL and put a couple of sets in the cart with no difficulty.

You seem to be having a problem that leads to an FAQ about error messages and problems with the website: Your previous session has timed out and your Columbia House cookie needs to be reset. The easiest way to do this is to log-in to an account and then immediately log-out. You should be able to both log-in to your account normally and visit the TV Edition Club enrollment site normally.

As an alternative, you could just delete any CH cookies that your browser has stored.

blaze1984 12-01-06 02:35 AM

got HDL to work online with Hitchcock Presents Season 1 and Mr. Bean - the Whole Bean (this was about 2 weeks ago)

wearetheborg 12-12-06 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Erreth
Same advice as the regular club, try to wait for a Buy One Get One Free, with a Free Shipping Offer. Then order 2 Pre-orders taking two regular priced items for the freebies. Be sure to do it through the webdvd link to get your $5 off. This should get you the lowest possible prices while still counting as fulfilments. Should run you $34.94 or more if your state gets taxed.

Why pre-orders ? Why not 4 regular in stock titles (of which 2 are freebies ?)

Sweet Baby James 12-12-06 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Why pre-orders ? Why not 4 regular in stock titles (of which 2 are freebies ?)

Because pre-orders are on sale for $19.95, whereas in stock titles will cost you $21.95 to $22.95. Remember, every dollar counts when striving for the ultimate cost per title average.:)

wearetheborg 12-12-06 12:09 PM

Aaah, thanks.
Does anyone have a link to the thread which showed how to value a boxset ? I had it bookmarked, but not that bookmark is not working.

Also, whats the link for getting the 5$ off first order ? I seem to recall it had "webdvd" in its address.

Sweet Baby James 12-12-06 12:21 PM

Aaah, thanks.
Does anyone have a link to the thread which showed how to value a boxset ? I had it bookmarked, but not that bookmark is not working.

Also, whats the link for getting the 5$ off first order ? I seem to recall it had "webdvd" in its address.

$19.95-$49.99 counts as 1
$50.00-$89.99 counts as 2
$90.00-$149.99 counts as 3
$150.00 and up counts as 4

The two addresses for the $5 discount were columbiahouse.com/webdvd and columbiahouse.com/webtv. However, these two log in addresses don't activate the $5 coupon anymore. For a while, you could click through a "Welcome to the Club", "Your Order is on the Way" and declined director's selection confirmation e-mails and the $5 coupon would be automatically loaded. Alas, this also no longer works. It would appear that CH has done away with the $5 web coupon for the time being.:(

wearetheborg 12-12-06 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
It would appear that CH has done away with the $5 web coupon for the time being.:(

Crap.

WRT valuing the boxsets, I meant the algorithm for putting a final price on a boxset (like the $5.84 breakdown for dvds in the standard club)

lizard 12-12-06 12:58 PM

Aaah, thanks.
Does anyone have a link to the thread which showed how to value a boxset ? I had it bookmarked, but not that bookmark is not working...

If you are referring to how to calculate the "relative cost" of a set, I gave a recent example in this thread. Now that the $5 off for first time web orders is dead, the calculations would be slightly different.

aynrandgirl 12-12-06 02:01 PM

$19.95-$49.99 counts as 1
$50.00-$89.99 counts as 2
$90.00-$149.99 counts as 3
$150.00 and up counts as 4

That's the old box set fulfillment rule. The current one is:

Selections purchased at $19.95 to $39.94 count for one
Selections purchased at $39.95 to $59.94 count for two
Selections purchased at $59.95 to $79.94 count for three
Selections purchased at $79.95 to $99.94 count for four
Selections purchased at $99.95 and higher count for five

Sweet Baby James 12-12-06 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
That's the old box set fulfillment rule. The current one is:

Selections purchased at $19.95 to $39.94 count for one
Selections purchased at $39.95 to $59.94 count for two
Selections purchased at $59.95 to $79.94 count for three
Selections purchased at $79.95 to $99.94 count for four
Selections purchased at $99.95 and higher count for five

Thanks for the skinny. It would be nice if CH would update their damn site. I pulled that info off of their website today.

wearetheborg 12-13-06 04:53 AM

Thanks for the skinny. It would be nice if CH would update their damn site. I pulled that info off of their website today.

I believe the mismatch has been there for more than a year now.
Stoopid columbia house ...

Lizard, yes, I was indeed asking for the relative price of a set, thanks!