Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Will CH have Universal "Glamour Collection"?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-06, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Universal is releasing three "Glamour Collections" today (April 4, 2006): one each for Marlene Dietrich, Mae West and Carole Lombard.

I want to buy the Carole Lombard collection, and I figured Columbia House would have it. However, I don't see it on the site. Does that mean they probably won't carry it?

I'm not too familiar with Columbia House's standard practice as far as adding new releases in a timely manner. If it might show up, I'd be happy to wait a few days. I'm hoping to get it during the B1G1 promo.

Thanks for any helpful info.
Old 04-04-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In general, Universal titles will appear on release day. But with an obscure set like you mention, it is hard to say whether they will carry it at all. If it doesn't appear in a few days, you might want to try requesting that Columbia House start selling it. That has seemed to work in the past.
Old 04-04-06, 03:19 PM

I was wondering about those sets as well; I'll be getting Dietrich and Lombard. Good to know about their Universal titles. Also keeping my eye out for WB's Dream Factory musicals set to be released 4/25...usually they have WB pre-orders up weeks, if not months ahead of time...I wonder what the hold-up is?
Old 04-04-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gabro and Operator,

Same question here. I've been waiting on both the Glamour Collections (Dietrich & Mae West for me) and the next WB Musicals set. Very strange that they are not up on the CH website yet.

I wonder if this portends more negative developments at CH now that BMG is in charge, as in they are no longer going to carry as many older/less popular releases?
Old 04-05-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
I was also hoping to buy these sets this week as well as the Miss Marple boxset recently released by Warner, which Columbia House doesn't carry either.
Old 04-05-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here. I ordered two of the three sets from Amazon and am hoping they show up at CH before my order ships.
Old 04-14-06, 07:16 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is off the topic, but is columbiahouse going to have munich 2 disc for pre-order, they always have in the past but now, i am not so sure.
Old 04-14-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^If Munich is released as a Dreamworks DVD it will likely be available for pre-order. If it is released as a Universal DVD then it will not be available for pre-order but will appear on release day.

Based on the screener, it will be a Universal DVD and, therefore, not available for pre-order.

(Don't know why the DVD release isn't up at Amazon and other retailers; one report has a release date of May 9.)

Last edited by lizard; 04-14-06 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 02:40 PM

Still no Glamour Collection sets, and one week before its release date, no Dream Factory set for pre-order. I'd love to fulfill with these, but I have a feeling that if I want the musicals set around street date I'll have to purchase it elsewhere.
Old 05-15-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
Good News...all 3 Glamour Collections are now available on CH's website!!!
Old 05-15-06, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the update! I'd stopped checking about a week ago. Now if only a good code would surface...
Old 05-29-06, 01:55 PM

The Dream Factory set has finally shown up on the site - CH seems to have gotten their classic film pre-order titles back on track.