Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Buena Vista and 20th Century Fox

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buena Vista and 20th Century Fox

Does anyone know why Columbia House stopped carrying these titles?
Old 03-26-06, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the studios removed themselves from the catalog. It's a darn shame too.
Old 03-26-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, it is. After my enrollment slections, I only buy from them, if there's a great deal, like free shipping, or if they have a movie, I can't find in any store.
Old 03-27-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
Does anyone know why Columbia House stopped carrying these titles?

Disney (Buena Vista) have their own DVD club a la Columbiahouse (not as good deals, but still better than buying in retail stores) and Fox wanted to sell their own DVDs (foxstore.com).
Old 03-30-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by sotra
Disney (Buena Vista) have their own DVD club a la Columbiahouse (not as good deals, but still better than buying in retail stores) and Fox wanted to sell their own DVDs (foxstore.com).
I didn't know that. I always thought it was due to some pricing disagreement between CH and those studios. Unfortunately the majority of titles on my "want to buy eventually" list are Disney/BV and Fox, so when CH has nice specials (as they do now) I'm lucky to find 4 or 5 titles I want.

From what I remember hearing, Fox's website prices were nothing special except supposedly once per year they have a 50% off sale (and it's not open to the general public), but when I bought from their foxstore online long ago I never got such an offer. I don't know if I should try joining again in hopes I finally get that offer (or if I have to order anything first), or if that's a waste of time. I assume that their website is their club or is that something new I should look into?

I'm technically a member of Disney's DVD Club, but fortunately my account was marked so I never have to send back those cards (in the good old days CH sometimes did that for me too). I have to say I don't remember seeing a good deal in the Disney Club since I enrolled many years ago.
Old 03-30-06, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by sotra
Is this a fact or just speculation? 'Cause most studios who sell through CH have their own stores...
A more accurate answer could be that neither Buena Vista, nor Fox wanted to pay the price CH offered them. On the other hand, I doubt Fox sell more DVDs in their online store versus the volume they sold through CH.
Old 03-30-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Emulator
Is this a fact or just speculation? 'Cause most studios who sell through CH have their own stores...
A more accurate answer could be that neither Buena Vista, nor Fox wanted to pay the price CH offered them. On the other hand, I doubt Fox sell more DVDs in their online store versus the volume they sold through CH.

The Disney fact is a fact, but the Fox is just my assumption.