Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Does CH inflate the list price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does CH inflate the list price?

It appears to me at times that CH inflates the list price at times to meet their claimed discount amounts. One example is Hogans Heroes. Overstock and Best Buy claim the list is $39.99. CH says its $49.99 and "their" price is $37.99.

This is one of the biggest differences, usually its only 2 or 3 bucks. Anybody else seen examples of this?
Old 03-12-06, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i know what you mean. They always claim they have 30% off on box sets, but that "sale" price is what everyone else is selling it for too or even lower. So i don't see how it's 30% off.
Old 03-12-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Columbia House list prices generally reflect MSRP, although they are sometimes slow to adjust them when MSRPs are falling, as may be the case for the sets you list.

Most retailers, CH included, calculate discounts from the list price. It is neither new nor deceptive, although it may be inaccurate in the case of MSRP price drops.

But the percent off pricing is irrelevant. What isn't understood by most CH customers is that by using a box set or other DVD as a fulfillment, the "relative cost" of the set or DVD is drastically lower than the "sale price". Box sets "special" priced at $44.96 have a relative cost at CH of less than $20. Can you really find a box set with MSRP of $59.95 for less than $20 elsewhere? And you're complaining about CH prices?

Even with the example you cite: Hogan's Heros, "special" price $37.46, good for only one fulfillment credit, the relative cost of the set is about $17.00, using K7L (6:1) and current BOGOF offers. Try and get it from somewhere else for that price.

Last edited by lizard; 03-13-06 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-12-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I will gladly pay some extra bucks for a box set when I consider all the other dvd I'm getting for a few dollars each.