Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Columbia House Phone Number Live Person

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-06, 10:53 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbenobi
You called because you got rejected ONCE??? Dude, we all get rejected from time to time. I wouldn't waste my time calling. It's faster just to re-apply...
Dude, membership application 55 got accepted a few days after the call. That'll make it no rejections ever.

Last edited by Klaus; 11-05-06 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-06-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Klaus
Dude, membership application 55 got accepted a few days after the call. That'll make it no rejections ever.
If you got 55 straight applications accepted, consider yourself extraordinarily lucky. I have never heard of such a run and I have been here since before this forum was created (and have had a lot more than 55 memberships).

Having applications rejected is part of the hassle of dealing with CH, your experience notwithstanding. However, it is possible to get them reinstated, as you have discovered. Most of us don't bother and just apply again.
Old 11-13-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Apparently 1-800-262-2001 will rarely get you a live CSR but 1-888-467-7404 will get you one more often than not. I tried the first one today at wanted to do everything through the automated system no matter what I tried. Then I tried calling the second number and it sent me directly to a CSR right after putting in my membership number. This account was opened just this last week so that didn't seem to matter either.

That's the number I used. It starts out automated, but if you do not enter in your account number, it forwards you right to a live rep.
Old 11-16-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Klaus
I bet you just cursed yourself. Your next application will be rejected...
Old 02-12-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ I am bumping this thread in the hope that anyone who has success in reaching a live CSR by phone will post it here. Check posts 47, 49 and 50 for some more unusual methods to reach a CSR.
Old 02-12-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
^ I am bumping this thread in the hope that anyone who has success in reaching a live CSR by phone will post it here. Check posts 47, 49 and 50 for some more unusual methods to reach a CSR.
I called and have been on hold forever waiting to talk to someone. Also, you now HAVE to call in to cancel an account. When you select "cancel the account:" in the email options it opens a window telling you to call. They won't easily close accounts and you can hardly get new ones open. What gives?
Old 02-13-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I called and have been on hold forever waiting to talk to someone. Also, you now HAVE to call in to cancel an account. When you select "cancel the account:" in the email options it opens a window telling you to call. They won't easily close accounts and you can hardly get new ones open. What gives?
Isn't there an automated phone option to cancel one's account? Also, others have posted a way to cancel on-line, although I have never used it and can't recall exactly how to do it.

Another option for canceling is to just e-mail Columbia House ([email protected]) and ask that account #xxx be closed.
Old 02-13-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
Isn't there an automated phone option to cancel one's account? Also, others have posted a way to cancel on-line, although I have never used it and can't recall exactly how to do it.

Another option for canceling is to just e-mail Columbia House ([email protected]) and ask that account #xxx be closed.
There used to be. Now when you select cancel the account they transfer you to a CR who tries to talk you into staying with CH. They try to put you in a program where you only have to make 1 purchase at full price every 5 months. I don't even remember what the reward for being in the program was.
Old 02-14-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There used to be. Now when you select cancel the account they transfer you to a CR who tries to talk you into staying with CH. They try to put you in a program where you only have to make 1 purchase at full price every 5 months. I don't even remember what the reward for being in the program was.
I always preferred to cancel with a CSR anyway. I just tell them that I have another account (which is true) and only need one. That ends the discussion about why I want to cancel.
Old 02-26-07, 03:38 PM

My membership obligation had expired and they required I pay $70 for the movies under my obligation. However, I received no notice of this. It took me going on their website to discover I was blocked out. I couldn't get to a live person at the customer service # provided. I only got a response from an email I sent. They told me I could order the movies needed to fullfill my obligation through the mail. I received a catalog to do so but with no time frame as to when the order must be placed. Next thing I know I received a collection letter in the mail from a collection agency. CH never once sent me a notice or warning that if I didn't take care of this by a certain date my account would be sent to a collection agency. When I tried to call CH about this, I again could not get through to anyone. I have always had a good credit rating and now it might be hurt because they couldn't bother to notify me that this was a possibility and give me a chance to take care of it beforehand. Even some of your more strict credit cards do that. The sad thing is that when I spoke with an individual at the collection agency and told them I couldn't get through to a live person at CH, they told me they hear that a lot there. It appears to be a constant issue. With not just my complaint, but the number of complaints I have seen online just by doing a search, this company should no longer be in business. They conduct poor business practices and prey on the consumer.
Old 04-30-07, 05:11 PM

Just wanted to say that none of the numbers listed in these forums seem to work anymore except for 1-888-467-7404. The only other one that seems to be still in service (1-800-262-2001) just kept booting me out each time I entered my account number.

I spent about 30 minutes calling all the different numbers before finally getting through with this one. I spoke to a live person and was off the line in les than 30 seconds.
Old 04-30-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A couple of weeks ago I used 800-667-0364 to cancel an account. Had to go through a lot of menu trees but when I selected cancel I got to a CSR right away.
Old 05-01-07, 12:42 PM

812-466-8636

New here, but found this # to Columbia House. It worked right away - no waiting, no prompts - just a live body.....good luck
Old 05-11-07, 05:20 PM

Apparently 1-800-262-2001 will rarely get you a live CSR but 1-888-467-7404 will get you one more often than not. I tried the first one today at wanted to do everything through the automated system no matter what I tried. Then I tried calling the second number and it sent me directly to a CSR right after putting in my membership number. This account was opened just this last week so that didn't seem to matter either.
this number took my account # (from a decline letter) when the regular 2001 number would not. i am on hold for a CSR right now - will edit this message when i see how the service was.

edit: had a family issue come up and had to get off hold - customer service was closed by the time i got back - i'll try again monday.

Last edited by JoN8282; 05-11-07 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by JoN8282
this number took my account # (from a decline letter) when the regular 2001 number would not. i am on hold for a CSR right now - will edit this message when i see how the service was.
Hopefully your service is better than mine was the other day when a CSR hung up on me after I called that number.
Old 05-18-07, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by souvenir
Hopefully your service is better than mine was the other day when a CSR hung up on me after I called that number.
ok just got a change to call 1-888-467-7404 - i put in my declined account # from the letter they sent me. i got a CSR (obviously overseas) almost immediately on the phone...

i explained to her that i only have one open account and should not have gotten this decline letter... she said she would pull up my accounts and check for me. she commented on how many of them there are, i told her which one i wanted to keep (my oldest one that i keep open at all times) - she said she would have to go through each of them one by one and check, and it would take awhile, obviously i had no problem with that.

good luck on the first try - she found the open account, it was a web application i submitted about 2 months ago that i had assumed was lost - she said it was open and was stuck in limbo due to waiting for payment... i informed her that the website never asked for payment and i never received any information - she said she could force it through and take a credit card right now... i had her check the movies (all ones i still needed) and put it through. that explains the decline letter for more then two open accounts and also gets me a new membership (which i haven't been able to get for awhile)

now here is the interesting part for you long timers.... she still went through all the other accounts, and found at least a dozen then were all "killed due to inactivity" - basically accounts that got opened, were never charged or shipped, then automatically closed... i have concluded that these are the "missing" web applications... which leads me to believe, if you try a web application and it goes "missing" - there may be a window of opportunity to call them and try to get it pushed through - even w/o a decline letter.

enjoy the info...
Old 06-28-07, 03:07 PM

Columbia House Cancel

i just used the phone number in the post below and was talking to a live person in less the 3 minutes. he tried a few times to get me not to cancel , but then he said my account would be cancelled within 48 hours. hope it worked. seemed like it.

lizard

DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: the Western Slope, Colorado ^I don't know about that. The last two CSRs I spoke with, the week before last, sounded like Americans. Haven't had an outsourced CSR recently.

I don't know why some have difficulty in reaching Columbia House CSRs when I don't. I use a different number (800-667-0364) but since the main phone numbers all go to the same phone tree, it shouldn't matter. Maybe it is time of the day or phase of the moon or something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by lizard : 06-22-06 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^When canceling, just tell the CSR that you have another account and that you only need one. That keeps them happy and short circuits the pitch to keep the account open.
Old 07-05-07, 03:58 PM
bga

Five Hours On Hold!

I've been sitting here on hold, going through the normal customer service line for FIVE hours. After the first hour I figured I'd stay on just to see how long it world take. Too bad they probably pay less than a penny a minute for 800 calls.
Old 08-14-07, 10:41 AM

I got through!!!!

I took advice from a post above and called 212 596 2000. When asked for an extension I entered the last name for the President/CEO of the company and got his secretary, Bernadette. She tried to conect me to CS for 32 minutes, then I finally, skeptically, opted to have her take my name and number to have CS call me back. They returned the call within about an hour. I was able to take care of my problems in about five minutes. Meanwhile, I logged onto the Better Business Bureau Website and so I thought I'd copy the Headquarter info for Indiana and New York:

BMG
Yahoo Map
6550 E. 30th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46291

The BBB reports on members and non-members. If a company is a member of the BBB, it is stated in this report.

Original Business Start Date: 01/19/55
Principal: Marsha Brown, Manager, Customer Relations
Customer Contact: Amanda Gilpatrick, Customer Relations
Phone Number: 812-242-7500
Fax Number: 812-466-8613
Web Site Address: www.columbiahouse.com
www.bmgmusic.com
Membership Status: This company is not a BBB member
Type of Business: Book/Record/Tape Club
Additional Business Names:
B M G
Bertelsmann Music Group Dmi (bmg-Dmi)
BMG Columbia House
C B S Video Club
Columbia House Company

NATURE OF BUSINESS

This company offers videos, DVDs, CDs, and cassette tapes.

CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to a failure to respond to complaints. This company also has an unsatisfactory record due to a pattern of complaints. Specifically, complainants allege receiving merchandise and/or bills for merchandise from BMG/Columbia House for CDs and/or DVDs that they did not order. Complainants further allege that they did not join BMG/Columbia House and do not know how the company obtained their information and that the company's phone line & website do not provide live customer service representatives to help resolve these issues.

When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them.

The Bureau processed a total of 1778 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 1778 complaints in the last 36 months, 999 of those were closed in the last 12 months.

Complaints Concerned
Advertising Issues: 37
Outcome of all complaints -
Resolved: 28; |[9 - Company resolved the complaint
issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| |[10
- Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| Administratively Closed: 9; |[7 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.]|

Sales Practice Issues: 128
Resolved: 118; |[31 - Company resolved the complaint
issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]|
|[38 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| Administratively Closed: 10; |[2 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.]|

Delivery Issues: 235
Resolved: 212; |[63 - Company resolved the complaint
|[95 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| |[1 - Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement which the consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.]| Administratively Closed: 21; |[13 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.]| No Response: 2; |[2 - Company failed to respond to the BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.]|

Service Issues: 126
Resolved: 112; |[19 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| |[41 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| Administratively Closed: 14; |[7 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.]| |[1 - BBB determined that despite the company's good faith effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.
]|

Customer Service Issues: 20
Resolved: 19; |[6 - Company resolved the complaint
issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| |[13
- Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| Administratively Closed: 1; |[1 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.]|

Guarantees or Warranty Issues: 2
Resolved: 1; Administratively Closed: 1

Product Issues: 3
Resolved: 2; Administratively Closed: 1

Refund or Exchange Issues: 245
Resolved: 209; |[62 - Company resolved the complaint
|[133 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| Administratively Closed: 36; |[33 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.]|

Contract Issues: 115
Resolved: 107; |[25 - Company resolved the complaint
|[55 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| Administratively Closed: 8; |[5 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.]|

Billing or Collection Issues: 867
Resolved: 760; |[241 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| |[348 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.]| |[1 - Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement which the consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.]| Administratively Closed: 101; |[67 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.]| |[1 - BBB determined that despite the company's good faith effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.
]| No Response: 4; |[4 - Company failed to respond to the BBB
to resolve or address the complaint issues.]|

ADDITIONAL TRADENAMES, ADDRESSES AND TELEPHONE NUMBERS

This business also uses the following names, addresses and/or telephone numbers:

Columbia House Company
1400 N. Fruitridge Avenue (812) 242-7500
Terre Haute, IN 47811

Columbia House Company
P.o. Box 14116 (812) 242-7500
Terre Haute, IN 47803-8116

B M G
Po Box 91610 (812) 242-7500
Indianapolis, IN 46291

Columbia House Company
P.O. Box 91605 (812) 242-7500
Indianapolis, IN 46291

B M G
P.O. Box 9l545 (800) 262-2001
Indianapolis, IN 46291

B M G
P.O. Box 6308 (800) 262-2001
Indianapolis, IN 46206

B M G
P.O. Box 6311 (800) 262-2001
Indianapolis, IN 46206-6311

(812) 242-7913

(516) 370-9480

(317) 542-6150

(317) 542-6150

(317) 542-6421

(317) 542-6586

(317) 692-9200

(317) 630-0186

(317) 542-6227

(317) 542-8822

(317) 542-8822

(317) 514-8920

(317) 000-0000

(800) 262-2100

(812) 466-8111

Bertelsmann Music Group Dmi (bmg-Dmi)

BMG

BMG Columbia House

C B S Video Club

Columbia House DVD Club

Columbia House Video

Sound & Spirit

Yourmusic.com

This is not necessarily a complete list.

GOVERNMENT ACTIONS

On July 14, 2005, Columbia House Company signed and entered into a Stipulated Judgment and Order of Permanent Injunction ("Order") with the Federal Trade Commission, Civil Number 05C 4064 and was ordered to pay a $300,000.00 civil penalty. Without admitting any wrongdoing, the company has agreed that they are hereby permanently restrained and enjoined from engaging in, or causing other persons to engage in, violations of the "Telemarketing Sales Rule", including but not limited to:

1. Initiating any outbound telephone call to a person
who has previously stated that they do not wish to
receive solicitations from the company and

2. Contacting any person who is listed on the
National Do Not Call List, unless the seller proves
prior written authorization or that the company had
already established a business relationship and
that the person did not previously state that they
did not wish to receive calls.

To view the FTC complaint and judgment in its entirety, go to:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselists/0423078/0423078.htm

ADDITIONAL FILE INFORMATION

Consumers need to read all original offers and keep all of their paperwork. Failure to return "Featured Selection Cards" will result in receipt of merchandise. Consumers should also be aware that BMG does telephone solicitations. You should make note of the date and the caller's name, and make a clear statement to the caller whether you are going to join or not join BMG membership.

Although BMG Music and its subsidiaries do business nationwide, they are headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. All complaints are processed through the Better Business Bureau of Central Indiana and sent to the Indianapolis BMG Music location.

BMG's subsidiary, Bookspan, is located in Mechanicsburg, PA. Consumers may receive mailings from the Indianapolis, IN address. The Indianapolis, IN location is a mail processing center only. All inquires and complaints need to be directed to the Lancaster Better Business Bureau at 717-291-1151

REPORT DATE: 08/14/2007

COPYRIGHT DATE: 2007 BBB of Central Indiana

The information in this report has either been provided by the company, or has been compiled by the Bureau from other sources.

Printer Version
BMG COLUMBIA HOUSE
28 E. 28th Street
New York, NY 10016
View Location Map

Original Business Start Date: 1/1/1955

Phone Number: (212) 596-2000

Additional Phone Numbers:
(212) 489-7400 (212) 782-1000 (317) 542-6428
(317) 542-6244 (212) 930-4418

Fax Number: (212) 596-2657

Email Address: [email protected]

Type of Business: Mail Order & Catalog Shopping, Compact Disc, Tape, Record - Retail, Internet Shopping Services

Membership Status: This company is not a member.

The information in this report has either been provided by the company, or has been compiled by the Bureau from other sources.

Nature of Business
BMG Columbia House is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Complaints should be filed with the BBB of Central Indiana at www.indybbb.org or by calling 317-488-2222.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this business has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau because it failed to respond to one or more complaints.

The company's size, volume of business, and number of transactions may have a bearing on the number of complaints received by the BBB. The number of complaints filed against a company may not be as important as the type of complaints, and how the company handled them. The BBB generally does not pass judgment on the validity of complaints filed.

Complaint Outcome Statistics:

Complaint Outcome Last 12 Months Last 12..36 Months Total
Resolved
Consumer received the requested resolution 0 57 57
Resolved
Consumer received part of the requested resolution 0 4 4
Administratively Judged Resolved
The Company has responded to the complaint(s) addressing the disputed issues, however, the consumer remains dissatisfied 0 6 6
No Response
The Company has failed to respond to complaints 2 1 3
TOTAL 2 68 70
Complaint Issues:

Please understand that complaints may concern more than one issue

Complaint Issue Last 12 Months Last 12..36 Months Total
Advertising Issues 0 3 3
Contract Disputes 0 1 1
Credit or Billing Disputes 1 34 35
Delivery Issues 0 8 8
Product Quality 0 1 1
Refund Practices 0 2 2
Selling Practices 1 13 14
Service Issues 0 6 6
TOTAL 2 68 70
Additional Business Names

This firm also does business under the following names. This is not necessarily a complete list.

Arista Records

Bertelsmann Music Group

BMG Direct

BMG International/BMG Classics

BMG Music Publishing

BMG, Inc.

RCA Records

YourMusic.com

Zoo Entertainment
Additional Locations

This firm also does business at the following locations.

1400 NORTH FRUITRIDGE AVE.
TERRE HAUTE, IN 47812

28 East 28th Street
New York, NY 10016

Report as of: 8/14/2007
Old 08-15-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Interesting reading. Some of those complaining to the BBB would be better advised to ask questions here because we have a lot of experience in dealing with the inevitable Columbia House screw-ups. Some of the collections issues involve deadbeats who don't bother to read and understand their membership agreements (we get questions about that from time to time).

Thanks for posting that info.
Old 09-12-07, 05:22 PM

I just called the 888-427-7404 number to inquire about a missing shipment and was told they'd send out a replacement within 24 hours. I was off the phone in less than a minute. Sweeeet!
Old 10-12-07, 12:56 PM

Columbia House Is A Joke

I have spent waaay too much time this week trying to resolve an issue with Columbia House, they took 7 days to charge my card and then came to find out it was an old card number, not the new one that I entered when I made the order. I just got through to them on 800 262 2001, by doing the following: When the automated voice asked what I wanted, I said "cancel", he stated he could help me with that, so he asked a series of questions, all of which I answered "representative" repeatedly, finally after entering my account number and address, I was put through to a representative who helped me immediately. Good luck, what a joke that company is. I have learned my lesson, never again!
Old 10-22-07, 03:16 PM

Bmg Music Fraud

This past weekend I was contacted by "Takhar Collection Services". I was informed that I "owed" BMG about $50.00 for cd's ordered in May 2007. The person on the other line had a thick Indian accent and didn't sound very professional - so I hung up assuming that the phone call was a scam.

Minutes later the phone rang again and it was Takhar Collection Services again. The person was very rude and threatened to send the amount owed to collection if I didn't pay. I asked to speak to a supervisor (Adam) who couldn't answer any of my questions - but did give me a number to call (317) 692-9200) to settle the issue. Since it was not an 800 phone number I began to think this whole thing was really a scam.

WRONG! It's the number to BMG's member service center. It asked for an account number. Since I didn't order CDs (and I certainly didn't receive any in the mail) I didn't have a number to enter. Instead, with little hope I pressed the # key and was transferred to a representative within minutes. The representative, Jessie, also asked for an account number - and I explained to her my situation. Jessie did a search under my name and found a bunch of CDs that were ordered. It turns out that BMG sent one of those garbage packages out to an address where I lived in 2002. SOMEONE LIVING AT THAT ADDRESS ORDERED A BUNCH OF CDS UNDER MY NAME AND DID NOT PAY! Some low-life trash thought they could get something for nothing.

Anyhow, Jessie was very helpful in resolving the issue (thankfully).

This whole situation was not about money. If I truly did order those CD's I would have paid the amount. BMG allows room for this type of fraud to occur. Because I'm so pissed that I got dragged into this mess I'm going to be mailing out some letters. Hopefully the attorney general or any state representatives for the state of Florida can do something about this! Is there a class action lawsuit against BMG? I would love to be a part of it.

I hope my story helps anyone out there who is going through the same thing. . .
Old 11-08-07, 11:49 AM

Live Person At Columbia House Dvd

This number works guaranteed!!! I just called and was immediately on hold for minute or two and then a live person picked up!!!!

Columbia House DVD
888-467-7404

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.