New Sale - B1G1 free is back!!!

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

New Sale - B1G1 free is back!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-06, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, so i'm new to the CH scene and joined the TV edition. My enrollment shows came in today. Anyways, can I fulfill my commitment of buying 2 regular-priced DVDs buy buying the 2 regular priced ones and getting 2 free via either 2 separate B1G1 orders or a B2G2 order? Maybe this is apparent, but I'm a little lost in CH fliers and insufficient sleep, so a quick explanation of why or why not would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 03-18-06, 03:34 PM

additionally I just read leeta's post and am curious if these B1G1 codes will only be actually processed if you got an email about the codes? thanks
Old 03-18-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sideshow23bob
ok, so i'm new to the CH scene and joined the TV edition. My enrollment shows came in today. Anyways, can I fulfill my commitment of buying 2 regular-priced DVDs buy buying the 2 regular priced ones and getting 2 free via either 2 separate B1G1 orders or a B2G2 order? Maybe this is apparent, but I'm a little lost in CH fliers and insufficient sleep, so a quick explanation of why or why not would be helpful.
Thanks
Yes you can. You should use the 807748 code that gives you 2 free DVDs with the purchase of 2 regularly priced DVDs. This will get your order over $30(the minimum to use the $5 off web coupon). You must first sign on at columbiahouse.com/webdvd. Then click onto the link that says "Looking for the offer in your mailing?". Enter 807748 into the pop-up box and you're good to go. Don't forget that the $5 will be deducted from one of your regularly priced movies-don't worry, this will still count as a fulfillment title.
Old 03-18-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sideshow23bob
additionally I just read leeta's post and am curious if these B1G1 codes will only be actually processed if you got an email about the codes? thanks
I used the 807748 code to fulfill a new account and I never received the e-mail.
Old 03-18-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
YAY!!!

I took fairly drastic measures and was able to place this order using code 807748 instead of 807749. I ran disk cleanup, cleared temp files on internet options, cleared the aol browser cache, ran ccleaner and downloaded Mozilla Firefox. I have had almost no luck in the past getting the webdvd discount to work, but with Firefox everything went through smoothly.

The identical old order that was cancelled is still showing as pending, but hopefully that will disappear. Here's the order:

Stargate Sg-1: Season 4 03347606W $32.46
The Ruling Class: The Criterion Collection 03639606W Free
Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection 03142205W $20.21
I Walked With a Zombie/the Body Snatcher - Double Feature 04197703W $19.95
Resident Evil Deluxe Edition 03306909W Free
Good Night, and Good Luck. 04358008W Free

Subtotal 72.62
Shipping & Processing FREE
Tax 4.36

Total 76.98 - a LONG way from $137.xx
Old 03-18-06, 08:03 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little concerned... so I placed a large B1G1 order. I got an e-mail yesterday that the items shipped (rare), but it only had listed the ones I actually paid for (8 of 15 items). The online order still shows the free titles as shipped also.

Today I got my order, but it was only the 8 titles I paid for. Too late to call, but I have a feeling CH screwed up my order. Sigh.

The free titles are still listed in my online history as "shipped", but what are the odds that the free ones (and only the free ones) were shipped in another shipment...

Have others actually gotten their whole orders recently when using this code?
Old 03-19-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^While I have never heard of the titles being segregated like that, your order was so large that it probably did have to be broken into two boxes for shipping. You might get the rest of them in a few days.

I did get my orders using BOGOF codes but never have placed large orders. Typically I get just one freebie plus a set to fulfill an account.

Last edited by lizard; 03-19-06 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-19-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though they all shipped on the same day, I only received Harry Potter yesterday and the other 3 were here on Monday. I canceled the account on Tuesday and was a bit worried. Luckily, everything worked out fine. Waiting on another app. submitted on Thursday.
Old 03-19-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by leeta

I placed an order using the B1G1 code 807749 "Get 3 free dvds and free shipping." When I submitted, the order was $82.28 including tax. When the receipt came up it was for over $137!

It should have been:

Stargate Season 4 $37.46
The Ruling Class CC FREE
Frankenstein Legacy Collection $20.21
Good Night, and Good Luck FREE
I walked With a Zombie/Body Snatcher Double Feature $19.95
Resident Evil Deluxe Edition FREE

I called CH twice, getting a better CSR the second time. However, she said that since the offer wasn't on my account, they couldn't honor it. She also asked if I had another account, which I do, and had received an email on that account stating that the current offer was B1G1 w/ free shipping (it didn't show the code # though). She looked that one up and said it wasn't showing on that account either. Since she wouldn't change it, I went ahead and cancelled the order.

How common is this and is there a code that is sure to go through?
[gets on soapbox] Your experience gives me the opportunity to remind people that technically one is only supposed to use codes that have been assigned to one's account. While these sale offer codes will (usually) work on all accounts on-line, trying to deal with them by phone may cause problems. This sometimes gets forgotten in the search for the best deals. I would suggest trying to keep orders to a reasonable size and not piling on, because it increases the chance for something going wrong.[gets off soapbox]

As you have discovered, sometimes the only way to get an order fixed is to have it cancelled and then start over. I hope that your second attempt, using a different code, goes through ok, as has been the case for most of us.

Last edited by lizard; 03-20-06 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-19-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
[gets on soapbox] Your experience gives me the opportunity to remind people that technically one is only supposed to use codes that have been assigned to one's account. While these sale offer codes will (usually) work on all accounts on-line, trying to deal with them by phone may cause problems. This sometimes gets forgotten in the search for the best deals. I would suggest trying to keep orders to a reasonable size and not piling on, because it increases the chance for something going wrong.[gets off soapbox]

As you have discovered, sometimes the only way to get an order fixed is to have it canceled and then start over. I hope that your second attempt, using a different code, goes through ok, as has been the case for most of us.
I told them I received it in an email and did not state that I found it online.

I wasn't piling it on... I had to purchase 3 to fulfill that account...

But I will keep that in mind in the future and if it happens again, I will just cancel and not do anything to raise any eyebrows. Thanks (sincerely) for the advice.
Old 03-20-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by leeta
...I wasn't piling it on... I had to purchase 3 to fulfill that account...
Sorry, that wasn't directed at you, but at some others who have been piling on.

It may be that Columbia House has discovered the use of these codes and is in the process of disabling them one by one. Just a guess, mind you...

This is the problem with using these sale offer codes, if something does go wrong it can be a pain to straighten out. That business about having the order total change from "place order" to receipt is a new and troubling development.
Old 03-20-06, 11:16 AM

Feel free to point out if i'm wrong, but doesn't it seem like a bait and switch to tell you you're being charged X to your Credit Card and then to actually be charged 2X. I just tried a web order with the B2G2 free code and it went thru for 39.90 and i'll be upset and looking up the BBB's # if it's any more. What do you guys think?
Old 03-20-06, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by lizard
That business about having the order total change from "place order" to receipt is a new and troubling development.
I always pay using my Pay Pal debit card. I make sure I have just enough in my account to pay for the order. If CH tries to overcharge me, like they did recently, the card is rejected and the order is immediately cancelled.
Old 03-20-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had the price change after submitting the order a couple of times in the past(always when I placed my order on the weekend). All I had to do was to send an e-mail to [email protected] and explain what happened. I am always clear and polite in my e-mail and they have always adjusted the price down to the correct total. If they didn't, I would simply dispute the charge. Also, I now never place orders during the weekend.
Old 03-20-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Interesting. I do recall in previous years that weird stuff would happen to weekend orders and we learned to avoid them.

sideshow23bob, I entirely agree with you that it is unethical and probably illegal to change the price after the order is placed. That's why it disturbs me to see these reports. I have never seen this happen (from "place order" button to the receipt).
Old 03-20-06, 03:43 PM

On couple of my accounts, the $5 off (webdvd discount) was removed from my receipt (even though the discount clearly showed online when I checked out). So instead of getting charged $34.90 for 2 items, I was charged $39.90. But as Sweet Baby James pointed out, I contacted the customer service and they credited $5 back to my credit card on both those occasions. That was the only price change I experienced after submitting the orders.
Old 03-21-06, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Roper
I always pay using my Pay Pal debit card. I make sure I have just enough in my account to pay for the order. If CH tries to overcharge me, like they did recently, the card is rejected and the order is immediately cancelled.
I use a similar tactic. My Citibank credit card allows me to generate virtual credit card numbers that tie back to it which can be used for one time purchases with an assigned limit, etc. So far I have only had one hitch with CH using the virtual numbers so far. For one of my enrollment orders they had problems processing the virtual number I had created for the $12.89 charge. More than likely they originally ran it for an amount greater than $12.89 so I ended up getting a letter from them stating they needed another form of payment in order to deliver me my enrollment DVDs. I just called them up, generated a new number, and my DVDs were on their way.
Old 03-21-06, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by bloozeman
I use a similar tactic. My Citibank credit card allows me to generate virtual credit card numbers that tie back to it which can be used for one time purchases with an assigned limit, etc. So far I have only had one hitch with CH using the virtual numbers so far. For one of my enrollment orders they had problems processing the virtual number I had created for the $12.89 charge. More than likely they originally ran it for an amount greater than $12.89 so I ended up getting a letter from them stating they needed another form of payment in order to deliver me my enrollment DVDs. I just called them up, generated a new number, and my DVDs were on their way.
Nice....i actually just got/activated a Citi card yesterday, can you point me in the right direction for creating these 1 time use cards(hopefully doable online)?
thanks
Old 03-21-06, 02:08 AM

Citibank Virtual Account Numbers
Old 03-21-06, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was thinking of blind buying Batman Beyond S1 in store, but I think this deal is worth the wait.
$36.38 w/tax for
The Ten Commandments 50Th Anniversary Collection
The Squid and the Whale Special Edition
Batman Beyond: The Complete First Season
Capote
Old 03-21-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nonametofame
The Ten Commandments 50Th Anniversary Collection
One thing about this--I guess because they have it as "special price" I'm not able to make it count as an enrollment (even when I put it in my cart with nothing else). Sadly I didn't notice until I'd completed an order. You might be able to fight it out with them--I couldn't be bothered, so I just did another buy one get one free for a couple of 2 disk sets (War of the Worlds and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) I can't get as enrollments.
Old 03-21-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bloozeman
Yes. Typically Columbia House will run a $1 test charge then a temp charge for the correct amount. Then you might see the real charge while the temp charges are still in place. It can lead to problems with virtual account numbers, as you discovered.
Old 03-21-06, 12:34 PM

I placed an order last night and the order number still says "To be assigned". It has all the correct title, but with **** instead of price. Has anyone seen this with the B1G1 deal?
Old 03-21-06, 03:11 PM

Okay I just started this whole columbia house thing and I got my dvd's today and am looking to fufill my commitment with this deal. My question is where do I put this code in at?
Old 03-21-06, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by takingchase
Okay I just started this whole columbia house thing and I got my dvd's today and am looking to fufill my commitment with this deal. My question is where do I put this code in at?
When you first sign in, it's labeled "Looking for the offer in your mailing" - It's directly underneath the link in large letters "DVDs up to 50% off....."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.