DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

New Sale - B1G1 free is back!!!

Old 03-09-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Marvin
What I meant was, has someone used a B1G1 and bought 1 (and got 1 free) when they needed 2 to fulfill? Or used a B2G2 and bought 2 (with 2 free) when they needed 3 to fulfill? In other words, do these codes work when you don't fulfill your purchase requirements?
Yes they do. (The codes change the sale offer on your account, they are not a one-time coupon linked to fulfillment purchases). The "committment" wording is just sales fluff.

To take advantage of the $5 off website it is best to place the orders together since the discount has a $30 order minimum. (It is also usually better to place all fulfillment orders at the same time to save on shipping, but these codes offer free shipping, so that isn't a factor at present.)
Old 03-09-06, 09:58 AM

OK thanks everyone. I just submitted an order using a B2G2 code - but my account requires 3 commitments (DR5, which is the same as LMT; I didn't take a 7th DVD, couldn't find another enrollment I wanted). I was able to use the $5 web dvd coupon. I'll just need to check my account to see if the $5 discount stays there, as others have mentioned. I assume there'll be another B1G1 coupon by the time I find two more DVDs I really want.
Old 03-10-06, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
The operative phrase is "as many as they approve you for". While technically one can be approved for more than two open accounts at the same time, in the past many of us who tried to apply for a new account, when we already had two open accounts, received a letter from Columbia House deferring the application and asking why we wanted more than two accounts.* We found that keeping open accounts to two or fewer, per club, led to fewer problems with rejected applications.

Perhaps the policy has changed; I haven't tried to apply for a third open account in some time and some others occasionally report here that they have more than two open at the same time. But, for most of us, keeping open accounts to two or fewer isn't a problem and seems to keep CH happy. Hence, our recommendation here to limit open accounts to two per club.

As always with CH, YMMV.

* The exact wording of such a letter is as follows:

January 03, 2005

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your recent interest in Columbia House. We appreciate receiving your new application. Our records indicate, however, that we already have two active accounts at your address.

Ordinarily, Club policy limits the number of accounts per household to two. If there is a special reason why you need another account, please tell us in the space below and we will do our best to accommodate you.

We are pleased with your enthusiasm for our Club, and we wish you all the enjoyment of the best in home entertainment.

Cordially,
Dennis Chandler
Customer Service

[How would you interpret such a letter?]
Got one of those letters today from an online application from about a week ago. Wording was exactly the same, except I have some multiple choice answers at the bottom

Please check one of the following statements and return this form to us within 30 days. Thank you.

__ I do not need another account.
__ My present accounts are not sufficient. I need another account because__________________
__ My household does not have two columbia house accounts. My further comments are as follows_____________________

Strangely, there's a DVD Club # on the letter which seems to be an actual membership #, but of course it doesn't work.
Old 03-10-06, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by richard98
Strangely, there's a DVD Club # on the letter which seems to be an actual membership #, but of course it doesn't work.
Columbia house assigns an account number to any application that they receive and process whether they approve it or not. The applications that get "lost" in their blackhole never get processed, thus never have an account number assigned. I feel that the rejection letters are quite useful because when they arrive at least you know that your application was received. You can then reapply without having to wait several additional weeks to see if your application gets approved.

Last edited by themeloman; 03-10-06 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-10-06, 07:42 PM

Ok - I need some help:
1) I got my acceptance e-mail, registered on the website, yet the account status says my requirement has been fulfilled. Is it a fluke or will it change?
2) How do I get a good deal on box sets with free shipping? Any ideas?
Old 03-10-06, 08:02 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane
Ok - I need some help:
1) I got my acceptance e-mail, registered on the website, yet the account status says my requirement has been fulfilled. Is it a fluke or will it change?
2) How do I get a good deal on box sets with free shipping? Any ideas?
1) There is a thread about this, but I don't think it will change on-line. However, they do have the correct information if you call in (so you cannot take the enrollments and run). It's a pain in the ass.

2) My opinion would be to get them as fulfillments. Then get a high priced title free (SE, UE, etc. -- you cannot get free boxsets with the current B1G1 codes). Those high priced titles (like Underworld Extended, War of the Worlds LE, et cetera) will never be available for enrollment, so this is (IMO) your best bet to get them, especially if you want to pickup boxsets as your enrollments.
Old 03-10-06, 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=mbs]1) There is a thread about this, but I don't think it will change on-line. However, they do have the correct information if you call in (so you cannot take the enrollments and run). It's a pain in the ass.

2) My opinion would be to get them as fulfillments. Then get a high priced title free (SE, UE, etc. -- you cannot get free boxsets with the current B1G1 codes). Those high priced titles (like Underworld Extended, War of the Worlds LE, et cetera) will never be available for enrollment, so this is (IMO) your best bet to get them, especially if you want to pickup boxsets as your enrollments.[/QUOTE

Can I use a B1G1 Free offer code over the phone if I got it off this website?
Old 03-11-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=mulderxcoltrane]
Originally Posted by mbs
1) There is a thread about this, but I don't think it will change on-line. However, they do have the correct information if you call in (so you cannot take the enrollments and run). It's a pain in the ass.

2) My opinion would be to get them as fulfillments. Then get a high priced title free (SE, UE, etc. -- you cannot get free boxsets with the current B1G1 codes). Those high priced titles (like Underworld Extended, War of the Worlds LE, et cetera) will never be available for enrollment, so this is (IMO) your best bet to get them, especially if you want to pickup boxsets as your enrollments.[/QUOTE

Can I use a B1G1 Free offer code over the phone if I got it off this website?
Only if it applied to your account. In other words if you have an unfulfilled account that needs 2 fulfillments you could use a b2g2f code over the phone and so on.
Old 03-11-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE=sotra]

Only if it applied to your account. In other words if you have an unfulfilled account that needs 2 fulfillments you could use a b2g2f code over the phone and so on.
Its better to use the b1g1f or b2g2f codes online and add the 5 dollar webdvd dsicount. The last few orders I've had have come out for 34.95 for 4 movies.

11 movies for 47.82 = Not Bad!!
Old 03-11-06, 10:03 AM

What is the $5 dollar discount code?
Old 03-11-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is the $5 dollar discount code?
Just go to w w w. c o l u m b i a h o u s e . c o m /webdvd (remove spaces) and login to your account and then enter the b1g1f code. You will automatically get $5 off if the total of your order is $30 or more.
Old 03-11-06, 11:27 AM

thanx to all of you... just fufilled a LMT account with the b2g2f w/free ship & webdvd

needless to say it's an amazing deal... one thing to note... the b2g2f code is running in our favor on differant priced discs.... i bought a 33$ box set, potter 2 disc which is 25 and two 21.95 titles, totally expecting the lowest 2 to be free... it gave me potter free with the box set, and a 21.95 free with the other title... very good stuff
Old 03-11-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...2) How do I get a good deal on box sets with free shipping? Any ideas?
I will agree with mbs above that most box sets are best purchased as fulfillments, preferably when free shipping is in effect (as is currently the case with the BOGOF codes).

However, before buying a box set as a fulfillment, check to see whether or not it is an enrollment in the "TV Edition of the DVD Club". BYork keeps a list of them in the TV EDITION - Available For Enrollment List thread stickied to the top of the forum.

When purchasing sets as fulfillments, the best deals can be had when buying a set that is "special" priced at $39.95 to $59.94 (counts for two fulfillments) on an account that requires two fulfillments. If your account requires only one fulfillment, you can buy a set that is "special" priced at less than $39.95 (counts for only one fulfillment).

Last edited by lizard; 03-11-06 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-12-06, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just did the following:

Logged in to Columbiahouse.com/webdvd and put in the Buy 3 Get 3 Free for Fulfillment code and then ordered the following:

The Constant Gardener Free
Elizabethtown Free
All the President's Men SE Free
Good Night and Good Luck 19.95
A History of Violence 19.95
Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire Special Edition 24.95

Subtotal: 64.85
S&H: None
$5 Webdvd Discount
Total: 59.85

Average Price per Title: 9.98

Last edited by zekeburger1979; 03-12-06 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I just did the following:

Logged in to CH.com/webdvd and put in the Buy 3 Get 3 Free for Fulfillment code and then ordered the following:

The Constant Gardener Free
Elizabethtown Free
All the President's Men SE Free
Good Night and Good Luck 19.95
A History of Violence 19.95
Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire Special Edition 24.95

Subtotal: 64.85
S&H: None
$5 Webdvd Discount
Tota: 59.85

Average Price per Title: 9.98
Does the B1G1 code and webdvd work with a CH.com account?
Old 03-12-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spez
B1G1F, no, there is no place to insert a sale offer code, so far as I can see.

Webdvd discount, I don't know, but I think so. Since fulfillments can be low priced titles at CH.com, I didn't place an order over $30.

Edit: No, $5 off doesn't seem to work on my CH.com account but works fine on my regular DVD club accounts.

Last edited by lizard; 03-12-06 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
B1G1F, no, there is no place to insert a sale offer code, so far as I can see.

Webdvd discount, I don't know, but I think so. Since fulfillments can be low priced titles at CH.com, I didn't place an order over $30.

Edit: No, $5 off doesn't seem to work on my CH.com account but works fine on my regular DVD club accounts.
Thanks. I was thinking about opening a CH.com account, but I didn't see too many benefits to it.
Old 03-12-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TV on DVD:

Enrollment Package:

Battlestar Galactica Season 1
The O.C. Season 2

$10.55 with tax

Fulfillment Package:

Stargate SG-1 Season 8 $41.96
The Third Man Criterion Collection FREE

Total = $44.38 with tax

GRAND TOTAL (after getting $5 credit) for the 3 box sets and 1 Criterion:
$49.93
Old 03-12-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by richard98
Got one of those letters today from an online application from about a week ago. Wording was exactly the same, except I have some multiple choice answers at the bottom

Please check one of the following statements and return this form to us within 30 days. Thank you.

__ I do not need another account.
__ My present accounts are not sufficient. I need another account because__________________
__ My household does not have two columbia house accounts. My further comments are as follows_____________________

I recently received one of those as well. I just ignored it, closed one of my fulfilled accounts and then re-applied. That application went through with no problem.
Old 03-12-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry about that. I forgot about CH.com. I was just too lazy to spell out Columbia House and just shortened it.
Old 03-13-06, 11:40 AM

How often do they offer these B1G1 offers?
Old 03-13-06, 11:47 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How often do they offer these B1G1 offers?
I think the previous one was about a month ago. And as I recall, we've gone several months without one in the past.

There really is no discernable pattern, that I know of.
Old 03-13-06, 01:33 PM

just fulfilled a TV on DVD account:

enrolled with:

Nip/Tuck season 2
House, M.D. season 1

fulfilled with:

Tales From the Crypt season 1
A History of Violence
Waiting (FREE)
The Aristocrats (FREE)

now if i could only get my regular columbiahouse membership to be approved...
Old 03-14-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not bad of a deal. I bought:

Robot Chicken Season 1 (pre-order)
Jarhead (free)
Aeon Flux (pre-order)
A History of Violence (free)

Something like $42 total.
Old 03-14-06, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mbs
I think the previous one was about a month ago. And as I recall, we've gone several months without one in the past.

There really is no discernable pattern, that I know of.
Did the previous ones also include free shipping?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.