DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

New Sale - B1G1 free is back!!!

Old 03-06-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starman9000
If you call in an order, is it possible to get a special edition as the free title? I would like to get the Evil Dead 2 Book of the dead as my freebie, but it won't work even with a set.
You could try this. CSRs have some latitude in what they can do for you. But you wouldn't be able to use the $5 off web discount.
Also, is there a way to stop sets from dropping below 39.95 in the cart? I wanted to buy Quantum Leap season 2, it is listed as 49.95 but drops to 37.95 in my cart.
No, this isn't possible and is a major frustration for lower priced sets. 25% off list price is the highest set price one usually sees ($37.95 on a $49.95 set). Again, you could try to persuade a CSR to raise the price for you. This has been reported to work in the past, on occasion.
Old 03-06-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lizard
No, this isn't possible and is a major frustration for lower priced sets. 25% off list price is the highest set price one usually sees ($37.95 on a $49.95 set). Again, you could try to persuade a CSR to raise the price for you. This has been reported to work in the past, on occasion.

Thanks for the help, I guess I will just have to reevaluate my purchasing for this round.
Old 03-06-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD King
are people having their orders shipped? I placed mine on 2/24 and everything is still pending, even though I've been charged. granted one of the titles is a preorder that comes out on 3/14, I wonder if they are holding it up because of that.
If you've been charged, then some of your order has shipped. Probably everything but that pre-order?
Old 03-06-06, 06:04 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

From past experience for a while now I've found that if an order has "pending" and you've been charged then it's safe to say that it is on its way, regardless of whether there is pre-order in there or not (that will ship later). I've also found that any order that says "Awaiting Credit Aproval" is doing just that and will wiat until you have a $0 balance before they ship them out.
Old 03-06-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$39.90 +tax (TX) came to $43 and change.

Zathura, Special Edition
North Country
The Ice Harvest
Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire << $17.95 w/ web discount

I forget which was $21.95 but the other 2 were FREE.

Coincidentally, I noticed they were all released in successive weeks -- 2/14 thru tomorrow, 3/7. I imagine they should all ship together although HP is still a pre-order.
Old 03-07-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

used: 807748

Got:
Ten Commandments SE.....$18.71 (with $5 discount=$13.71)
Close Encounters of the Third kind....$21.95
Harry Potter Goblet of Fire SE.....Free
Serenity....Free

Total $35.66

Grand total = 12 dvds with an average price of $4.88 each
Old 03-07-06, 11:55 AM

cajun_junky, did the Ten Commandments count as a fulfillment? Every time I tried to put that in it refused to tell me if it was going to count, so I stayed away. What did it do for you?
Old 03-07-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starman9000
Thanks for the help, I guess I will just have to reevaluate my purchasing for this round.
There are several strategies that can be used for the purchase of sets that are "Special" priced at less than $39.95 (list price of $49.95 or less):

For lower priced sets in the $20 to $25 range, use them as fulfillments.

For higher priced sets in the $25 to $39.94 range, you might be able to get them as enrollments from the TV Edition Club. There are quite a few lower priced sets listed as enrollments.

Or you might want to use such a set as a fulfillment during a BOGOF sale and get another higher priced DVD as a freebie. (But sets usually can't be used as freebies for BOGOF sales.)

Finally, you might want to consider getting such sets elsewhere, such as Deep Discount DVD during their semi-annual 20% off sale.
Old 03-07-06, 01:20 PM

I have a question about some of the codes listed early in this thread. Specifically, the "Get x # of DVDs free when you fulfill". How does this work? Do you get certificates in the mail for these when your purchase arrives? It doesn't seem to show up in the cart if I place several DVDs in there. Thanks.
Old 03-07-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bensashi
I have a question about some of the codes listed early in this thread. Specifically, the "Get x # of DVDs free when you fulfill". How does this work? Do you get certificates in the mail for these when your purchase arrives? It doesn't seem to show up in the cart if I place several DVDs in there. Thanks.
You enter the code by clicking on the link "Looking for the offer in your mailing?" and entering it in the pop-up window. The code should transform the standard sale offer on your account. It will then be applied automatically to the DVDs in your shopping cart. The first one will have a price, the second one will say "free", the third one will have a price, the fourth one will say "free", and so on.

Please note that the free selection must cost no more than the one that you pay for. Also, box sets (that are "Special" priced) or pre-orders are not eligible as freebies, although they can be used to qualify for free DVDs. Some BOGOF codes only work with DVDs that cost $19.95 or more.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-07-06, 03:07 PM

I think I misunderstood this offer based on the wording. I have more one more to buy to fulfill. This offer makes it sound as if I can buy the one dvd to fulfill, and then get three free titles. Obviously that sounds too good to be true, but isn't that what would be expected from that wording?
Old 03-07-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dougb222
cajun_junky, did the Ten Commandments count as a fulfillment? Every time I tried to put that in it refused to tell me if it was going to count, so I stayed away. What did it do for you?
I noticed in the account I just fulfilled, the TC 50th Anniversary Collection is $17.47 (pre-order special) for the 3 disc set. It's released on 3/21. Although when I place it in cart, I'm still getting $5.99 shipping/processing. Preferred Member banner is not on my front page but is listed in the account info. Would Preferred Member benefits not apply to pre-orders and multi-disc sets?
Old 03-07-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You still have to pay shipping and handling if you are a preferred member. If you use this code, you should be able to get free shipping.
Old 03-07-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDChris
You still have to pay shipping and handling if you are a preferred member. If you use this code, you should be able to get free shipping.
I just found it in my CH.com account for $10!!! I'm all over it at that price -- for a 3 disc set with FREE shipping?

I was looking at the specs. over at Amazon and it appears to be everything that's on the Collector's Edition plus the original 1923 silent film.

The Ten Commandments 50Th Anniversary Collection (Pre-Order)
Release Date is 03/21/2006. The item will be shipped separately.

$10.00

Special Club Price

Old 03-08-06, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
I just found it in my CH.com account for $10!!! I'm all over it at that price -- for a 3 disc set with FREE shipping?

I was looking at the specs. over at Amazon and it appears to be everything that's on the Collector's Edition plus the original 1923 silent film.

The Ten Commandments 50Th Anniversary Collection (Pre-Order)
Release Date is 03/21/2006. The item will be shipped separately.

$10.00

Special Club Price

How did you get it to show up as $10? Can you stack this with the b1g1?
Old 03-08-06, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Jon Kenobi
How did you get it to show up as $10? Can you stack this with the b1g1?
This is in the CH.com Club -- not the regular Columbia House. This is unrelated to the current B1G1 deals that are going on. I just mentioned it because I saw someone order the current SE (2 disc) for $13 after web discount.

This 3 disc pre-order was on my current fulfilled account as a Special Club Price of $17.xx with no other purchase neccessary -- except shipping, @ $5.99. That's why I went searching on CH.com where shipping is FREE every day.

Last edited by Xbox69; 03-08-06 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-08-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dougb222
During checkout it showed that it counted as a fulfillment. I need to log in and double check. You can always place your order and if it does not count as a fulfillment you can email them and request that it count....obviously you would have to email them after it ships but that is one way to do it!
Old 03-08-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I misunderstood this offer based on the wording. I have more one more to buy to fulfill. This offer makes it sound as if I can buy the one dvd to fulfill, and then get three free titles. Obviously that sounds too good to be true, but isn't that what would be expected from that wording?
Oh come on... If you check the offer details for 807749, "Get three DVDs when you complete your purchase committment", you get:

Get a FREE DVD for every DVD you buy at the regular Club price ($19.95 or higher). Hurry! This sale ends on March 24th.

Order early and save more on Upcoming Releases!
Pre-order these highly anticipated titles for as low as $19.95 each -- then, you can take another DVD for free.

Note:

* A discounted Set or an Upcoming Release -- purchased at $19.95 or higher -- can also act as your qualifying purchase.
* Each Set used as a qualifying purchase counts as 1 unit and entitles you to 1 Free unit.
* Your FREE selections must be of equal or lower value to your qualifying purchase of $19.95 or higher.
* Some exceptions apply. Upcoming Releases, Sets, and other specially priced items will not participate in your regular offer as a free item.
* Taxes, where applicable will be added to each selection on all orders.

Please note that if you don't decline your Director's Selection or choose an alternate by the specified date the title will automatically be shipped to you and standard shipping and processing of $2.99 will be applied.

ALL SETS UP TO 30% OFF, NO OTHER PURCHASE NECESSARY

Enjoy savings of up to 30% off on any Boxed Set you buy! No other purchase necessary. And remember, each Set you buy will earn you at least $4 in FunCash!

GET FREE OR DISCOUNTED DVDs WITH FUNCASH!

Earn at least 1 FunCash Dollar for every DVD title you purchase then redeem them anytime for FREE and discounted DVDs!

To find out your FunCash balance, click on the My Account tab at the top right of your screen.

These offers expire as of the date on your Order Card. All selections are limited to two copies per title.

Click on the "Shop for DVDs Now" link at the bottom to get started!

If you find the wording "Get three DVDs when you complete your purchase committment" ambiguous, you should just check the offer details. The offer simply assumes that one needs three committments, as is often the case with Columbia House accounts.

There is a reason we refer to these offers as "BOGOF" or "B1G1F"; even the thread title says "B1G1 free"! What more could you want?

Last edited by lizard; 03-08-06 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-08-06, 02:31 PM

Just wondering: suppose your membership needs 3 commitments but you use a B2G2 code? This doesn't complete your purchase commitment but that's only mentioned in the title of the offer, not the details. Has anyone tried this (or B1G1 when you need 2)?

This gets more complicated with the recent website problems in which people are told they have already completed their purchase commitment the first time they logon to their account.
Old 03-08-06, 02:53 PM

Yes, I understand what you're saying, and I had checked the details of the offer. I still think the wording of the offer is unclear, and the details don't really clear that up (I realize it says get one free for every one you buy, but it never really points to the "get 3 free" wording), but that's neither here nor there. Not trying to start an argument...as I said, it obviously sounds too good to be true. Too bad it is...I went ahead and fulfilled anyway.

Originally Posted by lizard
Oh come on... If you check the offer details for 807749, "Get three DVDs when you complete your purchase committment", you get:

Get a FREE DVD for every DVD you buy at the regular Club price ($19.95 or higher). Hurry! This sale ends on March 24th.

Order early and save more on Upcoming Releases!
Pre-order these highly anticipated titles for as low as $19.95 each -- then, you can take another DVD for free.

Note:

* A discounted Set or an Upcoming Release -- purchased at $19.95 or higher -- can also act as your qualifying purchase.
* Each Set used as a qualifying purchase counts as 1 unit and entitles you to 1 Free unit.
* Your FREE selections must be of equal or lower value to your qualifying purchase of $19.95 or higher.
* Some exceptions apply. Upcoming Releases, Sets, and other specially priced items will not participate in your regular offer as a free item.
* Taxes, where applicable will be added to each selection on all orders.

Please note that if you don't decline your Director's Selection or choose an alternate by the specified date the title will automatically be shipped to you and standard shipping and processing of $2.99 will be applied.

ALL SETS UP TO 30% OFF, NO OTHER PURCHASE NECESSARY

Enjoy savings of up to 30% off on any Boxed Set you buy! No other purchase necessary. And remember, each Set you buy will earn you at least $4 in FunCash!

GET FREE OR DISCOUNTED DVDs WITH FUNCASH!

Earn at least 1 FunCash Dollar for every DVD title you purchase then redeem them anytime for FREE and discounted DVDs!

To find out your FunCash balance, click on the My Account tab at the top right of your screen.

These offers expire as of the date on your Order Card. All selections are limited to two copies per title.

Click on the "Shop for DVDs Now" link at the bottom to get started!

If you find the wording "Get three DVDs when you complete your purchase committment" ambiguous, you should just check the offer details. The offer simply assumes that one needs three committments, as is often the case with Columbia House accounts.

There is a reason we refer to these offers as "BOGOF" or "B1G1F"; even the thread title says "B1G1 free"! What more could you want?
Old 03-08-06, 03:27 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Marvin
Just wondering: suppose your membership needs 3 commitments but you use a B2G2 code? This doesn't complete your purchase commitment but that's only mentioned in the title of the offer, not the details. Has anyone tried this (or B1G1 when you need 2)?
I used a B1G1 (807747) when I needed 2. I bought 2 and got 2 free. I just checked and it correctly says that I have completed my membership requirements.
Old 03-08-06, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
I used a B1G1 (807747) when I needed 2. I bought 2 and got 2 free. I just checked and it correctly says that I have completed my membership requirements.
What I meant was, has someone used a B1G1 and bought 1 (and got 1 free) when they needed 2 to fulfill? Or used a B2G2 and bought 2 (with 2 free) when they needed 3 to fulfill? In other words, do these codes work when you don't fulfill your purchase requirements?
Old 03-08-06, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Marvin
What I meant was, has someone used a B1G1 and bought 1 (and got 1 free) when they needed 2 to fulfill? Or used a B2G2 and bought 2 (with 2 free) when they needed 3 to fulfill? In other words, do these codes work when you don't fulfill your purchase requirements?
I haven't done that, but I would guess it would work. It seems like these codes are just unlimited B1G1 codes with different names. If you see the free titles in your cart, I can't imagine they wouldn't honor it.
Old 03-08-06, 11:26 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First, thanks for the codes!

I went a little crazy with my fulfillment order:

Airport Terminal Pack $14.96
Underworld Unrated Extended Cut Free
Windtalkers Director's Edition $12.95
Ben-Hur Collector's Edition $24.96
Purple Rain 20Th Anniversary Special Edition $21.95
The Polar Express Special Edition Free
The Bad News Bears Triple Play Collection $17.21
War of the Worlds Limited Edition Free
The Unbearable Lightness of Being Special Edition Free
The Ice Harvest Free
Peep Show: Series One $18.71
The Naked Gun DVD Gift Set $17.21
Battle of the Bulge Free
The Richard Pryor Collection $16.46
Fast Times At Ridgemont High Special Edition Free

Subtotal 144.41

I fulfilled with WotW LE and Ben Hur CE. While these are higher priced fulfillments, they allowed me to get higher priced free discs (Polar Express 2-disc and Underworld LE). I also decided to work the B1G1 with some of the cheap (under $19.95) sets since they also can get a free full-priced DVD.

I also decided to pickup Windtalkers DE @ $12.95 (which is a great price: it was one of "today's deals"), even though it didn't net me anything free.

EDIT - Some funny order statistics courtesy of CH:

Savings, this order
$216.84
Average DVD Price:
Old 03-09-06, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't done that, but I would guess it would work. It seems like these codes are just unlimited B1G1 codes with different names. If you see the free titles in your cart, I can't imagine they wouldn't honor it.
I have a TV Club account that needs 4 purchases for fulfillment. Yeah, I know there's a better code out there. Well, the first TV Club account I had needed 5.

Anyways, I was placing selections in my cart just to see how it would ring up -- and I still have the $5 web discount. It's definitely showing as a B1G1 offer even though I only have 4 selections in cart -- only 2 counting as commitments. I'm short on $$$ at the moment so I didn't Checkout. I still have 'til Dec. '07 and I'm sure they'll be another B1G1 before then. Just yesterday I fulfilled an account I started last Nov.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.