DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Clubs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs-13/)
-   -   New Sale - B1G1 free is back!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/456938-new-sale-b1g1-free-back.html)

Xbox69 02-24-06 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Dang, I could've saved 20$ on shipping. Oh well, I did still get a good deal, and now Ill just have to sign up again.

Seeing as how these deals run til' 3/24, you could probably open and fulfill a new account (or 2).

supaet 02-24-06 12:32 PM

what the heck, anyone had this problem before?
I put in my enrollment order like 5 days ago, got email yesterday with account number, register, and guess what, it saids that i'm already a preffered member!! And it saids that I dont need any more commitment purchases....should I go ahead to use these b1g1 free shipping codes to fullfill anyways? when these numbers expire?

viking99 02-24-06 01:10 PM

supaet - that will change within a day or two. Suggest you wait until the account "thinks" you need fulfillment credits and then place the order with the new code.

starman9000 02-24-06 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
Seeing as how these deals run til' 3/24, you could probably open and fulfill a new account (or 2).

I already signed up for a new one today. Hopefully Ill know if it goes through by next week :)

viking99 02-24-06 01:30 PM

It looks like a number of folks are fulfilling with individual titles. Some may also wish to consider this as the best time to buy those $29.96 sets you've been wanting. Not only do they allow you to pick up another one for free; but the savings on shipping of a three or four disk (or more) set is very significant.

Personally, I'm looking at pre-ordering Tales from the Crypt and another 29.96 set and picking up Corpse Bride and Where the Truth Lies (should show up Tuesday) as the free titles. Here's the math:

B2G2 w/individual titles: 12.89 + (19.95 x 2) - 5 = 47.79 / 11 = $4.34 per DVD

B2G2 w/29.96 sets: 12.89 + (29.96 x 2) - 5 = 67.81 - (9 * 4.34) = 28.71 / 2 = 14.35 per set.

So, the choice is saving 1.52 each on the tenth and eleventh individual titles OR picking up the sets for 14.35 (a savings of about $8 versus buying these through CH during a no-code, no-free shipping period).

Just food for thought! :)

joshtown 02-24-06 01:44 PM

I got:

Midnight Cowboy SE
All The Presidents Men SE
Network SE
Dog Day Afternoon SE

I forgot to use the code for free shipping, so I guess I'll have to call up and do it over. Whoops!
Should come to $39.90 shipped.

West End Girls 02-24-06 02:04 PM

Wait.. I'm confused. I need 3 selections to fulfill my account.. does that mean I HAVE to do the B3G3, or can I do the B2G2 FS and leave the other fulfillment for later?

basaro 02-24-06 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by West End Girls
Wait.. I'm confused. I need 3 selections to fulfill my account.. does that mean I HAVE to do the B3G3, or can I do the B2G2 FS and leave the other fulfillment for later?

If you wanted to yes, but why would you want to do that? It would only increase your per-dvd average. Just get all 3 now and next time you enroll, make sure you use a better code, so you will only need to purchase 1 or 2 fulfillments.

basaro 02-24-06 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by viking99
It looks like a number of folks are fulfilling with individual titles. Some may also wish to consider this as the best time to buy those $29.96 sets you've been wanting. Not only do they allow you to pick up another one for free; but the savings on shipping of a three or four disk (or more) set is very significant.

Personally, I'm looking at pre-ordering Tales from the Crypt and another 29.96 set and picking up Corpse Bride and Where the Truth Lies (should show up Tuesday) as the free titles. Here's the math:

B2G2 w/29.96 sets: 12.89 + (29.96 x 2) - 5 = 67.81 - (9 * 4.34) = 28.71 / 2 = 14.35 per set.

So, the choice is saving 1.52 each on the tenth and eleventh individual titles OR picking up the sets for 14.35 (a savings of about $8 versus buying these through CH during a no-code, no-free shipping period).

Good post.
And don't forget this thread (good time to get these titles too): http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6805175

West End Girls 02-24-06 02:22 PM

But it'll come out to something like $60 and I don't have a creditcard, and I'm astudent, so I'll have to save it up.. lol. Oh well, it does sound like a good idea so yeah.

basaro 02-24-06 02:24 PM

But it'll come out to something like $60 and I don't have a creditcard, and I'm astudent, so I'll have to save it up.. lol. Oh well, it does sound like a good idea so yeah.

These codes appear to be good for a month (until 3/24?), so if you think you can save the $ in that time, it might be a good idea. No matter what you do, it's still a killer deal, and much better than you can get anywhere else.

ClaptonIsGod96 02-24-06 03:14 PM

I'm a bit of an idiot, but how do you actually enter these codes?

EDIT - Nevermind, found it. Thanks for the codes!

ray05 02-24-06 04:04 PM

how do u manage to have 8 open accounts?

i thought you can only have 2 active at anytime...

Originally Posted by themeloman
I just received this e-mail on all my open accounts (8):

Buy 2 DVDs, Get 2 FREE And Complete Your Commitment!!

Get a FREE DVD for every DVD you buy at the regular Club price ($19.95 or higher). Hurry! This sale ends on March 24th.
Order early and save more on Upcoming Releases!
Pre-order these highly anticipated titles for as low as $19.95 each -- then, you can take another DVD for free.

Note:

A discounted Set or an Upcoming Release -- purchased at $19.95 or higher -- can also act as your qualifying purchase.
Each Set used as a qualifying purchase counts as 1 unit and entitles you to 1 Free unit.
Your FREE selections must be of equal or lower value to your qualifying purchase of $19.95 or higher.
Some exceptions apply. Upcoming Releases, Sets, and other specially priced items will not participate in your regular offer as a free item.
Taxes, where applicable will be added to each selection on all orders.
Please note that if you don't decline your Director's Selection or choose an alternate by the specified date the title will automatically be shipped to you and standard shipping and processing of $2.99 will be applied.

ALL SETS UP TO 30% OFF, NO OTHER PURCHASE NECESSARY

Enjoy savings of up to 30% off on any Boxed Set you buy! No other purchase necessary. And remember, each Set you buy will earn you at least $4 in FunCash!

GET FREE OR DISCOUNTED DVDs WITH FUNCASH!

Earn at least 1 FunCash Dollar for every DVD title you purchase then redeem them anytime for FREE and discounted DVDs!

To find out your FunCash balance, click on the My Account tab at the top right of your screen.

These offers expire as of the date on your Order Card. All selections are limited to two copies per title.

Click on the "Shop for DVDs Now" link at the bottom to get started!

Shop for DVDs now!

ray05 02-24-06 04:06 PM

that happened to me too,

but trust me, in a matter of days (if not overnight), you'll see the correct number of rqeuired fulfillments

Originally Posted by supaet
what the heck, anyone had this problem before?
I put in my enrollment order like 5 days ago, got email yesterday with account number, register, and guess what, it saids that i'm already a preffered member!! And it saids that I dont need any more commitment purchases....should I go ahead to use these b1g1 free shipping codes to fullfill anyways? when these numbers expire?

Sweet Baby James 02-24-06 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ray05
i thought you can only have 2 active at anytime...

Probably multiple street addresses.

West End Girls 02-24-06 04:52 PM

Okay, I got:

Annie Hall
Birth
Broken Flowers

:)

But I just noticed that my account information says "Ms." and I'm a guy... should I call them up and tell them to change it, or would it be too much of a hassle/is it no big deal?

basaro 02-24-06 05:14 PM

But I just noticed that my account information says "Ms." and I'm a guy... should I call them up and tell them to change it, or would it be too much of a hassle/is it no big deal?

:lol:
Unless your self-conscious about it, I wouldn't bother. It's no big deal. You might even be able to have two identities, a Ms. and a Mr. ! and open more than 2 accounts like themeloman did. But having more than two accounts can potentially lead to blacklisting, so I don't do it and don't recommend it, so you didn't hear it from me ;)

kenbenobi 02-24-06 05:20 PM

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Persistence in waiting pays off!!! Running to CH right now to do some shoppin!!!

icecube 02-24-06 05:31 PM

I need to fulfill 2 accounts, one regular and one TV. Only problem is there aren't any movies or sets I want/need anymore that aren't available for enrollment!

And if I fulfill with 8 of those then I won't have a short list of movies to start a new account anymore! Decisions, decisions...

dmvksv 02-24-06 10:42 PM

Thanks to the op for the post. I've been waiting for a free shipping code to fufill, but this worked out better. I got the set I was going to order anyway(Smallville season 3) and 8 1/2 criterion collection for free with free shipping to boot.

cherrycrusade 02-25-06 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Probably multiple street addresses.

that's false. you can have as many as they approve you for. i saw an account 1 time with 13 open accounts. no lie. they called in to have them all combined into 1.

lizard 02-25-06 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by cherrycrusade
that's false. you can have as many as they approve you for. i saw an account 1 time with 13 open accounts. no lie. they called in to have them all combined into 1.

The operative phrase is "as many as they approve you for". While technically one can be approved for more than two open accounts at the same time, in the past many of us who tried to apply for a new account, when we already had two open accounts, received a letter from Columbia House deferring the application and asking why we wanted more than two accounts.* We found that keeping open accounts to two or fewer, per club, led to fewer problems with rejected applications.

Perhaps the policy has changed; I haven't tried to apply for a third open account in some time and some others occasionally report here that they have more than two open at the same time. But, for most of us, keeping open accounts to two or fewer isn't a problem and seems to keep CH happy. Hence, our recommendation here to limit open accounts to two per club.

As always with CH, YMMV.

* The exact wording of such a letter is as follows:

January 03, 2005

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your recent interest in Columbia House. We appreciate receiving your new application. Our records indicate, however, that we already have two active accounts at your address.

Ordinarily, Club policy limits the number of accounts per household to two. If there is a special reason why you need another account, please tell us in the space below and we will do our best to accommodate you.

We are pleased with your enthusiasm for our Club, and we wish you all the enjoyment of the best in home entertainment.

Cordially,
Dennis Chandler
Customer Service

[How would you interpret such a letter?]

richard98 02-25-06 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by viking99

Interesting. I ordered Tales from the Crypt and Dr Strangelove - 40th anniversary after reading your post and the other thread. Total was slightly under $30; these are about $23-$24 each on dvdpricesearch. The criterions would also be good choices, but I think I have those.

I thought that, at one time, there was a thread here that showed the list price and columbia sale price for all titles so that it was relatively easy to track down the good deals. Does such information exist?

Also, given the free shipping and BOGOF, does it make sense not to take that 6th selection for $14.95 if you're opening a new account?

lizard 02-25-06 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by richard98
...Also, given the free shipping and BOGOF, does it make sense not to take that 6th selection for $14.95 if you're opening a new account?

If you are talking about the 6:1 code K7L then yes, it would make sense to decline the $14.95 bonus and use it as a 5:2 code to take advantage of BOGOF, the $5 web discount, and free shipping for three.

I thought that, at one time, there was a thread here that showed the list price and columbia sale price for all titles so that it was relatively easy to track down the good deals. Does such information exist?
You can obtain the current Columbia House DVD list from the The new updated list of CH DVDs (data miner) thread. It links to AlfB's website here: http://webpages.charter.net/alfb/CH/

But the current data mines have incomplete pricing information due to difficulties with the Columbia House websites.

cherrycrusade 02-25-06 01:57 PM

Since at least Oct 2004 the policy has been you can have as many approved for. Right now I have 4 accounts open..same address..same name...same credit card. It's all about their scoring system. They have points. You get more points if you use a home number over a cell. If you're submitting it through mail you get more points if you use black ink over blue, etc.