Used/Opened DVDs sold by CH?

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 02-04-06, 01:16 PM
aup
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received a DVD today from CH (I Confess - Hitchcock) which was sealed in plastic wrap, but had the security seal inside removed. I know this is the case because part of the seal is still stuck to the back of the DVD case *inside* the plastic wrap. Any thoughts on what might be going on?
Thanks.
aup.
Old 02-04-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Could have been a return. CH sometimes doesn't check 'em too closely, and packages them back up.
Old 02-04-06, 02:15 PM
aup
Cool New Member

I too suspect it is a return. But I wonder who did the resealing with the plastic wrap. It was done professionally, and unless you looked for the security seal inside carefully, you couldn't tell that the case was opened in the first place. If CH is doing this with open returned merchandise, that is cause for some concern. On the other hand, it would seem strange for a customer to go through the hassle of opening, resealing, and returning an item worth $5-6.
I have to decide now whether to bother to return it unopened (so they can see the problem clearly), or take a chance and open it, and deal with a bad disk if necessary.
Old 02-04-06, 04:24 PM

On the other hand, it would seem strange for a customer to go through the hassle of opening, resealing, and returning an item worth $5-6.
More than likely, they were a customer who's averaging $10-$15 per DVD.
Old 02-04-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This has happened to me once before as well, exactly what you are describing. I just shrugged it off since I only paid ~$3 for the disc (another site glitch sale), but it was strange nonetheless.
Old 02-07-06, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Today I received my 2 CH.com enrollments. "The Motorcycle Diaries" was shrinkwrapped (plastic, not the cellophane type) and as I removed it, I noticed the bottom portion had a piece of cellophane wrapping that ran the width of the case. The security sticker was still intact across the top and the disc appears to be in new condition.
Old 02-07-06, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I once received an Escape from New York SE DVD from CH with a Best Buy sticker on the front. The package was re-shrinkwrapped, and the disc had fingerprints on it.

These used DVDs are probably returned to CH, and they just do not look at them and toss them in with their own inventory.
Old 02-17-06, 09:28 PM

I got the Legacy Series To Kill A Mockingbird set and it was wrapped in the shrinkwrap, but many come that way so I didn't think anything of it. When I opened it last night, the commemorative poster replicas were missing. I guess I don't care that much because of the deals we get, but still I'm kind of tired of these movies coming with stuff missing like slipcovers and now the poster cards.
Old 02-17-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I order the Conan - The Complete Quest and arrived just fine but one of the movies skip half way through the movie. When I first got it it was re-shrink wrapped but since I couldn't find nothing wrong with the package or the dvd's I kept the dvd but I didn't know the dvd was defective. I didn't return it since it had been more than two months before I realize the defect so I kept the movie
Old 02-17-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rolandbozz
I got the Legacy Series To Kill A Mockingbird set and it was wrapped in the shrinkwrap, but many come that way so I didn't think anything of it. When I opened it last night, the commemorative poster replicas were missing. I guess I don't care that much because of the deals we get, but still I'm kind of tired of these movies coming with stuff missing like slipcovers and now the poster cards.
There was an address posted where you could write away and receive the poster cards. It's in a related thread. Apparently, these are missing from all CH editions of this release.
Old 02-17-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Poster cards info in this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455843
Old 02-17-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It could be that CH is also buying surplus dvds.
Old 02-17-06, 11:49 PM

thanks a million, Xbox!
Old 02-18-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kar10
I order the Conan - The Complete Quest and arrived just fine but one of the movies skip half way through the movie. When I first got it it was re-shrink wrapped but since I couldn't find nothing wrong with the package or the dvd's I kept the dvd but I didn't know the dvd was defective. I didn't return it since it had been more than two months before I realize the defect so I kept the movie
I have had Columbia House replace a defective DVD six months after I had closed the account. How much luck you have with this depends on which CSR you get, but they can re-open an account and order a replacement. Worth a try.
Old 02-18-06, 11:42 AM
Cool New Member

CH doesn't reshrink, if something is returned to them they put them in the CH store for the employees. It's crap lemme tell ya. All the defectives, everything, go there.
Old 02-18-06, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by cherrycrusade
CH doesn't reshrink, if something is returned to them they put them in the CH store for the employees. It's crap lemme tell ya. All the defectives, everything, go there.
Were you an employee? I had never heard of that before. But you could have been since you live in the same town as columbia house's customer service center.
Old 02-18-06, 03:21 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by chamfer
Were you an employee? I had never heard of that before. But you could have been since you live in the same town as columbia house's customer service center.
yes. i used to be a customer service rep for CH. we had this CH store that was located on the fruitridge ave. location. it was great b/c every dvd...we're talking even $70 boxsets..were $7. one you got above $70 it was anywhere between $14-$21, but never any higher. cds were $3 and vhs were $5. it was great. the only bad thing was if somene sends back a defective..why i'm not sure..it ended up in our store. my bf at the time worked there too and his copy of old school started skipping so he took it back. we couldn't find anymore copies of the unrated so we waited and waited and waited..finally we found one. and guess what?! it was the copy he took back!! they would let us bring back whatever was def and everything like that so that was good..but it was just odd that they would put def. material out. we also got enrollment packages of ppl who decided they didn't want to be a member after all were there. we had packaged items, but we also had unpackaged. sometimes they would have mishaps in the warehouse...the day before ocean's 12 came out it was available to us b/c some got damaged..i think there was 12 copies? we're talkin just the cases..i got one that was perfect..it was still in the plastic..played great..not a nick in the case. they didn't want to send it to customers just in case it was defective. i have so many stories about that place i could write a book.
Old 02-18-06, 04:36 PM

A lot of us would probably buy it!

i have so many stories about that place i could write a book.
Old 02-18-06, 04:53 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by icecube
lol
Old 02-18-06, 05:35 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by icecube
I know I would!
Old 02-18-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Xbox69
There was an address posted where you could write away and receive the poster cards. It's in a related thread. Apparently, these are missing from all CH editions of this release.
I got the Legacy Series To Kill a Mocking Bird from CH two or three weeks ago and it had the posters in it. Guess I lucked out...
Old 02-19-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

we had this CH store that was located on the fruitridge ave. location.
The store was only for CH employees?

The store is not there anymore?
Old 02-19-06, 05:19 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by kar10
The store was only for CH employees?

The store is not there anymore?
yeh, the store was only for columbia house employees. i haven't worked for CH since June..I heard after the merge with BMG was finalized that the CH store shut down. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. It was a great store. I got the harry potter collection there for $14. and the matrix collection..the one that comes in the plastic case with 10 discs and the bust of keanu...CH sells it for $119, i bought mine in the plastic there for $21.