Reload this Page >

How to phone CH without an account number

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 01-20-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve seen at least three posts in recent days asking for ways to contact Columbia House by phone to get an account number, without already having one. Rather than post this information every time the question pops up, I thought I’d put it in a thread that could be readily referenced when the question appears.

First, I hope that I am stating the obvious when I say that anyone who already HAS an account number can call in using that number and then ask the CSR to search for a new account number. He or she can do this using name and address, but the easiest way might be to search by credit card number (yes, they can do this).

For anyone who doesn’t have an account number (for any Columbia House club membership), because one hasn’t been a member before or one has thrown out the CH mailings (many of us keep our account information in a spreadsheet for future reference), please read on.

The method to wade through the CH phone tree without an account number was first posted by wackos in the Wolf Husky Phone Queue Bypass Thread in Post 176 . I tested it last night and it still works and the sequence is even one step shorter:

Press
1 (for English)

This should get one to a live CSR. I called 800-667-0364 but I believe that the phone tree is the same for the main number, 800-262-2001.

Please note that when I called I asked about an account application filed on-line the previous day. I was told that I should wait “three to five” business days before asking for the account number. However, if I had been able to tell him that the charge had hit my credit card (because I applied by phone, for example) it is likely that I could have persuaded the CSR to do the search. As always with CH, YMMV. If you don’t get satisfaction from the first CSR, try again.

Please also note that when I say “that the charge had hit my credit card” I mean a real charge, not a temporary one. CH will check one’s credit information with a temp charge as soon as one applies. This DOES NOT mean that one is approved. If a real charge appears on the credit card it is 99% likely that one has been approved. (On rare occasions a real charge can be reversed if CH decides, upon review, to decline the application. This happened to some of us applying for TV Edition accounts about a year ago.)

Another way to contact CH to obtain a new account number would be to e-mail them at [email protected] and ask them to do a search for the new account number (“because the charge has appeared on my credit card and my application has been approved", or something like that). I have not tried this, if others have, please weigh-in here with your experiences.

Hope this helps. This has been an FAQ over the years.

Abbreviations used:
CH "Columbia House"
CSR "Customer Service Representative"
YMMV "Your Mileage May Vary" (i.e., "your results might be different")
FAQ "Frequently Asked Question"
Old 01-23-06, 04:24 PM

Apparently this isn't working any longer. I can't even get thru to a csr with an account number.
Old 01-23-06, 04:25 PM

Doesn't work.
Old 01-23-06, 04:28 PM

Now I can't get thru at all. Anyone having success getting thru?
Old 01-23-06, 06:15 PM

I used this method on Friday and it worked, but I just checked and it is not working, so maybe they are eliminating any phone loopholes that have allowed people to get through. (It is REALLY frustrating to not be able to talk to a Columbia House rep without having an account number.)

A) 1-888-224-3115
B) 1
C) 5
D) 2
E) do not enter acct # when prompted, do not return to main menu
Old 01-23-06, 06:59 PM

I've tried everything and it's impossible.
Old 01-23-06, 07:49 PM

I called and punched in an active account number to find out about a new application. The woman I spoke to was happy to help.

Obviously this doesn't help out anyone who doesn't have an open account.

My application from Saturday still hasn't been processed.
Old 01-24-06, 12:16 AM

what's worse is the fact that even with an active account number I was only to get through after selecting to order gift certificates. I agree with the above, not being able to speak with a CSR is extremely frustrating.

Could this be a sign of things to come? Several CSRs I've spoken to (prior to this week) stated that CH DVD operations will remain unchanged after the merger but perhaps BMG is imposing some of it's policies on CH and vice-versa w/BMG? who knows...
Old 01-24-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EL_Cangri
Doesn't work.
Originally Posted by themeloman
Apparently this isn't working any longer. I can't even get thru to a csr with an account number.
Originally Posted by honeybefly
I used this method on Friday and it worked, but I just checked and it is not working, so maybe they are eliminating any phone loopholes that have allowed people to get through. (It is REALLY frustrating to not be able to talk to a Columbia House rep without having an account number.)

A) 1-888-224-3115
B) 1
C) 5
D) 2
E) do not enter acct # when prompted, do not return to main menu
Originally Posted by EL_Cangri
I've tried everything and it's impossible.
I am baffled. A few minutes ago I just used the method I posted above to get though to a CSR without having to enter an account number. I called 800-667-0364. It worked fine.

Why others can't get through is unclear. Are you calling during some semblence of normal business hours? Are you waiting for each menu to load before pressing the number?
Old 01-24-06, 02:58 PM

That's incredibly wierd. It doesn't work....

Last edited by EL_Cangri; 01-24-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 07:54 PM

I just called the new order line and they told me it is impossible to get to customer service without an account.
Old 01-26-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^It is hardly surprising that the new accounts CSRs aren't aware of the various permutations of the Columbia House phone trees.
Old 01-26-06, 12:53 PM

Just for giggles... I tried the same as Lizard posted. Did not work!!

During business hours, waited for each menu to load, got to the end and it asked twice for an account number, then said, "we're sorry you are having trouble, blah blah blah," and then said "good-bye".

Luckily I had an open account already to get in.