Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Semi Annual Boxed Set Super Sale. All sets at UP TO 50% Off!

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of these CH set prices are great for fulfilling accounts. Too bad free shipping ended yesterday.

I found this on one of my CH accounts today (you may also be able to get an extra 10% off if you buy two or more sets):

It's not every day you get incredible savings like this. Over 1,000 boxed sets. Savings at up to 50% off (no other purchase necessary). Here's a sampling of what we've got to offer.

All of our TV on DVD sets are available, many at 50% off.

Last edited by fryinpan1; 06-01-05 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-01-05, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks fryinpan1. Too bad when you try to use funcash, they jack-up the price (Warner Gangsters collection, etc.).
Old 06-01-05, 08:00 AM

Is there any way to get free shipping on these? It's not nearly as sweet of a deal without it. I tried a couple offer codes, but they seemed to be expired.
Old 06-01-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah the shipping costs on these box sets is jacked up. The Hitchcock signature collection is only 49.98 but with s&h and tax it comes to $62+. Which I guess still isn't too bad especially if you had the $5 webdvd discount.

I need to get a new acount open. How long do you think the boxset sale will last?
Old 06-01-05, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by bis22
Is there any way to get free shipping on these? It's not nearly as sweet of a deal without it. I tried a couple offer codes, but they seemed to be expired.

Keep a CH.COM (formerly DV2) account open. They always have free shipping, no minimum required.
Old 06-01-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No coincidence that free shipping ended yesterday and box sets go on sale today. Columbia House seems to be getting more clever.
Old 06-01-05, 09:58 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

the james bond collectionand rocky anthology are pretty good deals but with shipping it completely jacks it up, i have a preferred account, i thought on those shipping was suppose to be cheaper or does that apply to non box sets.
Old 06-01-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by moonraker
Keep a CH.COM (formerly DV2) account open. They always have free shipping, no minimum required.
While this is true, buying a set from CH.COM is more expensive, in most cases, than getting it as a fulfillment from the regular DVD club (or the TV Edition club). The fulfillment credit lowers the relative cost of the set substantially.

Even paying shipping costs, sets usually cost less when used for fulfillments at the regular DVD club, especially when Columbia House has a "40% off sets" sale. This sale is a bit hit-or-miss. Some sets are on sale, others are at the regular "special price".
Old 06-01-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ruk
the james bond collectionand rocky anthology are pretty good deals but with shipping it completely jacks it up, i have a preferred account, i thought on those shipping was suppose to be cheaper or does that apply to non box sets.
99¢ shipping for "preferred" members does not apply to box sets, as you have discovered. In most cases, it is cheaper to get box sets as fulfillments anyway, as I mentioned above.

At current membership prices, each fulfillment credit is worth about $14.

Last edited by lizard; 06-01-05 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-01-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by ruk
The only way this works out is if you find enough deals you want to the point the $15 shipping cap helps.
Old 06-01-05, 04:23 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the assistance guys but no need to join in on the 50% off this time
Old 06-01-05, 04:35 PM

The prices are different on my two accounts. Some of them are cheaper on my fulfilled account, some are cheaper on my unfulfilled one. I wish the prices didn't jump back up when you use Funcash though.
Old 06-02-05, 12:51 AM

Has anyone had any success using a phone order to get these titles with a funcash discount? Could be hot on some of the stuff like V .
Old 06-02-05, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
How long do you think the boxset sale will last?
Through June 21st.

Btw, is anyone else getting an extra 10% off on boxset sale prices through their TV Club account?

I currently have three accounts open: 1 fulfilled DVD, 1 fulfilled TV, 1 partially fulfilled TV(remaining fulfillment on pre-order). Looking at the prices amongst the accounts, both the TV Club accounts are getting an additional 10% discount over the DVD Club boxset prices, so some sets are actually 55% off msrp. The offer on both my TV club accounts is an extra 10% off TV sets when you buy two or more, but the 10% will apply to any single boxset, and the discount actually carries to the checkout screen(not that I'd buy on a fulfilled account).

Even with this apparent glitch, this sale still isn't working very hard for my money. No free shipping(again!), funcash pricing that reverts to 25% off, and the one boxset I had been holding out for came in at 50% off rather than 40% thus knocking it from a fulfillment-friendly $41.35 to a more unattractive $34.46. Fortunately I got a lot of my boxset shopping done during the B1G1F sale.
Old 06-02-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Back to the Future set is only $16. But I'm wondering if they still have the defective sets.
Old 06-02-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I regards to Back to the Future, I have resitated to get that as well, but from what I've read on here about it, people seem to be getting the corrected ones when they order.
Old 06-02-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I regards to Back to the Future...
I think I was one of the last ones who got the old one. It took no time to get replacement discs plus I got the book with it so I'm happy.
Old 06-03-05, 10:34 AM
Cool New Member

I got the set a few weeks ago, new disks, but as you may guess, no book.
Old 06-03-05, 08:17 PM

Scarface Deluxe Edition for $24.95 + 5.99 shipping... sweet deal. At least $43 elsewhere...
Old 06-03-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wasn't the Scarface deluxe going for just under $20 at Fry's like last week?
Old 06-03-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Wasn't the Scarface deluxe going for just under $20 at Fry's like last week?
And, a few months back also.
Old 06-04-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The Back to the Future set is only $16. But I'm wondering if they still have the defective sets.
It would be better to wait unitl it goes back the regular price of ~$20 so you can use it as a fulfillment.
Old 06-04-05, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by thejester
And, a few months back also.
Oh... well, then I guess nice for us who do not have a Fry's in the Eastern part of the country.
Old 06-04-05, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D-Ball
It would be better to wait unitl it goes back the regular price of ~$20 so you can use it as a fulfillment.
I don't have any fulfillments left. I have some fun cash left. If I use it, the price goes to $20.96, but after funcash and shipping, it turns out to be around $19.95. Can't find this at any b&m around here.
Old 06-04-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I don't have any fulfillments left. I have some fun cash left. If I use it, the price goes to $20.96, but after funcash and shipping, it turns out to be around $19.95. Can't find this at any b&m around here.
D-Ball was suggesting that you wait to buy the Back to the Future set as a fulfillment in your next Columbia House membership. It isn't cost effective to buy it for $16 (or $19) when you might be able to get it for $6 to $7 (depending on the "special club price") as a fulfillment in your next membership.

If you have enough funcash to fully pay for BTTF, except for shipping, then that would be a reasonable way to go also.

Unless you can find sale DVDs for less than you can buy them for in a new membership, it doesn't make sense to buy more than the minimum required DVDs to complete your membership. The lowest cost strategy is to close your fulfilled account and open a new one.

In general, when a sale like "up to 50% off sets" pushes the price of a set to just below a fulfillment tier, it is best to wait for the regular "special club price" to purchase it. This allows maximum use of fulfillment credit and lowers the relative cost of the set.

Last edited by lizard; 06-04-05 at 03:30 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.