Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Need suggestions to get most of my Funcash

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 06:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Need suggestions to get most of my Funcash

I'm just looking for any good suggestions to make the most of my $69 funcash. My thought was to get $15 DVDs. I was wondering if there were any 2-Disc dvds in that price range or other movies in that price range which might have good trade/resell value after I watch it once and don't like it enough to keep in my collection.

Edited slightly: to clarify any concerns that I'm buying with intentions to resell, which is NOT my intention.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mr_jbloggs; 05-19-05 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-18-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recommend 12 Angry Men... great movie.
Old 05-18-05, 08:23 PM

As far as resale value DVDs in that price range, the 2-disc editions of Glory (2448900) and Jerry Maguire (2654804) are both inexplicably (and probably erroneously) priced at $14.95, though their lowest non-CH prices are over $20 each. And they're good movies.

Also, I recently ended up with 2 copies of The Warriors, so listed one on ebay and it ended up selling for $22 (DDD has it for $9.36 shipped), though that was likely one of those ebay flukes. Anyway, it's another good $14.95 movie, with definite resale value.
Old 05-18-05, 08:38 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's not wise to say you are buying from columbia house and then selling it on ebay. if you do it just don't mention it.
Old 05-18-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by legend42
Also, I recently ended up with 2 copies of The Warriors, so listed one on ebay and it ended up selling for $22 (DDD has it for $9.36 shipped), though that was likely one of those ebay flukes. Anyway, it's another good $14.95 movie, with definite resale value.
I'd maybe hold off on The Warriors,there is a special edition coming out some time soon. There is a thread here on dvdtalk about it somewhere.
Old 05-19-05, 10:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ruk
it's not wise to say you are buying from columbia house and then selling it on ebay. if you do it just don't mention it.
Hi Ruk, I understand what you are saying, but my primary goal is to add good movies to my collection and I was only contemplating trading/selling if I watched the movie once and didn't like it. I have only ever sold one movie in the 4+ years of collecting movies and that was Spaceballs, originally bought for $8, sold for $4.50 so that I could by the newer SE version. So I hope this clarifies any concerns that anyone has that I'm buying at CH to make my millions.
Old 05-19-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mr_jbloggs
I'm just looking for any good suggestions to make the most of my $69 funcash.
You probably already saw this... but I started this thread last week with one suggested title:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421946

Since the lowest total price on DVD Price Search is slightly over $19, I would think the resale value would be very good in case you don't like the movie.
Old 05-27-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How much would a criterion from CH cost if you had say $40-$50 in funcash?
Old 05-27-05, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
I recommend 12 Angry Men... great movie.
I'll second that. Great movie !! And very re-watchable.
Old 05-27-05, 04:11 PM

You'd only pay shipping and tax. You'd spend $35 in Funcash, assuming the Criterion isn't Hamlet.
Old 05-27-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SFranke
You'd only pay shipping and tax. You'd spend $35 in Funcash, assuming the Criterion isn't Hamlet.

So why is everyone saying funcash is just about worthless now?? Picking up criterions at $3-$4 seems like a good deal to me.
Old 05-27-05, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bballing
So why is everyone saying funcash is just about worthless now?? Picking up criterions at $3-$4 seems like a good deal to me.
It is a fine deal, and Funcash is still handy. However, some folks are still upset that they cannot use Funcash to purchase a box set, so they complain about it.
Old 05-28-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by bballing
Fun Cash was worth far more when you could purchase box sets with it. Since 99% of DVDs you can still get free (plush shipping) will eventually be available as an enrollment, which box sets never are, the value is diminished by about 2/3. The few available Criterions and a handfull of others are about the only good deals left.

Also, this diminishment was retroactive, and shortly after CH had a run of offers designed to entice you into accumulating Fun Cash. The deals weren't that great unless you factored in the value of the Fun Cash. Right after that, just a matter of a week or so later in fact, they pulled the rug out of Fun Cash. This gives the impression it was intentional deceit on CH's part. Customers were very rightfully pissed off. I lost several hundred dollars of buying power when they did this. Is there any reason I shouldn't be pissed off?
Old 05-29-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But wasn't FunCash only supposed to work on items that were full MSRP? The fact that they worked against discounted Boxsets wa a loophole in their system. Or did they only work against full-price boxsets?

Either way, you didn't lose any buying power - they just changed the way that you could use your buying power.
Old 05-29-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
But wasn't FunCash only supposed to work on items that were full MSRP? The fact that they worked against discounted Boxsets wa a loophole in their system. Or did they only work against full-price boxsets?
It was neither a loophole nor towards the MSRP but was and had been from 1/1/2005 through somewhere around 4/1/2005 advertised both in their online terms and conditions pages and in the membership agreement that they send in their welcome package as funcash could be redeemed in full towards to the discounted price of box sets (3 or more discs minus shipping).

When they changed those terms they did so for all purchases before the terms were changed and explicitly stated their reasons for doing so was because it was too good of a deal effectively coming right out and saying that they advertised and made sales based on a rewards system that they retroactively decided to refuse to honor. Not just changing the terms but refusing to honor the terms of already completed sales.

It isn't much of a stretch since no law enforcement agency bothered to hold them accountable that any company could offer a buy x product and receive a $x rebate only to have you meet their terms and receive a rebate down the line for 1/3 the advertised amount with a note saying they changed the terms because the deal they advertised and you purchased under was too good so they retroactively decided to offer less of a rebate.

They advertised and made sales offering a rewards program of their choosing with explicitly stated terms and conditions and when it came time to allow redemption of those accumulated rewards they retroactively refused to honor them. At the least, that is an exceptionally shady and underhanded business tactic that clearly demonstrates a company willing to partake in any action they think they can get away not to honor terms of sales. The only reason they weren't held accountable is because people move on rather than complain and consumer rights agencies have to pick their battles and a rewards program of a DVD club isn't going to be high on their list short of receiving numerous complaints.
Old 05-30-05, 09:15 AM

If you have a CH.com account, and you've transferred some Funcash to it, the Film Noir sets from Warner Bros. come out to $20 plus tax shipped. Of course, you can't order the second set with Funcash quite yet, since its a preorder.
Old 05-30-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive been trying to combine the funcash from 4 closed accounts into an open one and so far have been unsuccessful. I keep emailing them telling them the account numbers, etc. And the response i get back is that can't be done. Im waiting to hear on my third attempt. Has anyone recently been able to combine funcash? Doesnt the redemption period expire tomorrow?
Old 05-30-05, 01:39 PM

You'll probably never successfully combine your Funcash via email. Try calling in and speaking with a foreign CSR. And the redemption period has been extended to June 30th.
Old 05-30-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That makes sense, I will try that. Didnt know about the new deadline either.
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-31-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep

Either way, you didn't lose any buying power - they just changed the way that you could use your buying power.
I lost buying power. Trust me. Most fun cash purchases are now only good for titles in which worst case I can get for $.49 each in another couple months. After all, you don't seriously believe CH retroactively changed this policy for fun do you? They did it entirely for their benefit. And at whose expense would that have been?

But back to the original question of getting the nost from fun cash, I recommend the Anchorman/Ron Burgundy Gift Set. It is a set, so you can only apply $10 towards it, but that leaves it at $19.96 and good for a commitment on an unfulfilled account.
Old 05-31-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll probably never successfully combine your Funcash via email. Try calling in and speaking with a foreign CSR. And the redemption period has been extended to June 30th.
I had no luck emailing, but calling in has had about a 50% success rate. But I haven't done it recently.
Old 05-31-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And the redemption period has been extended to June 30th.
Thanks for the update. I wanted to get Bullitt with my FC, but for some unknown reason CH isn't releasing it until June 7. I was annoyed because this movie comes out today and I wouldn't be able to use my FC on it, but all is well since they extended the redemption period.
Old 06-11-05, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In case anyone is looking for unique ways to use your Funcash, here is the order I just placed. I got 9 box sets for $82 out of pocket, using $90 in Fun Cash. I couldn't use more than $10 on each set, of course, so I tried to find cheap sets that would cost a lot more elsewhere. The prices listed are AFTER the $10 Funcash was deducted...
Red Dwarf: The Complete Series Five $16.21
Silverado Giftset $4.96
Men Behaving Badly: Season 1 $1.97
Men Behaving Badly: Season 2 $1.97
The Vicar of Dibley: Series 1 $4.97
The Vicar Of Dibley: Series 2 $4.97
The Vicar of Dibley: Series 3 $4.97
V: The Complete Series $9.98
The Flintstones: Second Season $16.97
Subtotal $66.97
Shipping & Processing $15.00
Total $81.97
Old 06-11-05, 12:44 PM

Seems like some of the boxsets are showing up at the reduced price in the funcash cart. I just ordered kingdom hospital for 14.98 ($10 funcash), pink panther collection 21.97 ($20 funcash), classic comedies collection 24.48 ($10 funcash), plus a few regular dvds. Other ones I wanted weren't reduced, such as the gangsters collection that was coming up at 51.69. Some you might want to take a look.
Old 06-11-05, 02:47 PM
Cool New Member

Hey, I was reading all these posts about buying and reselling on Ebay. I sell stuff on ebay that I don't watch anymore, but could people really make money off of ch? Is it illegal? Thanks for all the advice on good deals- I am just CURIOUS with my question, I'm not into doing that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.