DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Clubs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs-13/)
-   -   Great lesser known or less popular titles at CH? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/423133-great-lesser-known-less-popular-titles-ch.html)

bis22 05-18-05 12:35 AM

Great lesser known or less popular titles at CH?

What are some excellent titles available at Columbia House that are lesser known or less popular? For instance, a while ago I got Happiness and I really like it, and recently I discovered Vera Drake through CH's recommendations, although I haven't gotten that one yet. Even suggestions for anything really outstanding that might be more known but that some people might have overlooked are good (for me, Leon: The Professional). Anime and foreign film suggestions are also welcome.

jkberden 05-18-05 01:15 AM

In the Company of Men
Runaway Train
At Close Range
Lone Star
13 Converstations about One Thing

just to name a few

dadaluholla 05-18-05 07:38 AM

I have two words for you....

POOTIE TANG

lizard 05-18-05 11:09 AM

I'll put in a plug for my favorite western: Quigley Down Under, 0715102, $14.95. Of course, if you don't like westerns or Tom Selleck then this wouldn't be a good choice. But it certainly qualifies as "lesser known".

Al_Tahoe 05-18-05 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by bis22
What are some excellent titles available at Columbia House that are lesser known or less popular?

Just saw The Straight Story recently for the first time. What an excellent movie! The pacing is very deliberate, so if Van Helsing and Day After Tomorrow are your ideas of a good time - it's probably not for you. But if you like a good screenplay, excellent acting, memorable music and breathtaking cinematography - this movie is for you! This is the kind of movie that after watching it you say to yourself "wow, why don't they make more movies like this".

kevin7215 05-18-05 12:30 PM

The straight story is not available at columbiahouse (disney)

conscience 05-18-05 01:21 PM

I just got Welcome To The Dollhouse in an enrollment package. A great film that is high priced at most other places - oh and was directed by Solondz who also did Happiness.

I am sure if you have seen Happiness you know of Solondz, though - and you might have heard of WTTDhouse.

Legolas 05-18-05 02:10 PM

Roger Dodger
Spartan
The Shape of Things
Glengarry Glen Ross

How about underappreciated big studio films? Like Open Range and Wonder Boys.

fryinpan1 05-18-05 05:29 PM

Confidence
Stander
Serpico
Kalifornia
Angel Heart
Midnight Run
Made
Screwed
King of New York
Willard
Paths of Glory

Knives 05-18-05 06:38 PM

Barbie As the Princess and the Pauper

http://www.columbiahouse.com/sa/191/...n=191&bak=NONE

Easy 05-18-05 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Legolas
How about underappreciated big studio films? Like Open Range and Wonder Boys.

I'll second both of those and throw in October Sky which I never see mentioned anywhere but is a damn fine film.

Al_Tahoe 05-18-05 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by kevin7215
The straight story is not available at columbiahouse (disney)

Sorry, my bad. :blush: I got Straight Story from Columbia House (a year or more ago), and forgot to consider it's current availability.

NCYankee 05-19-05 01:18 AM

One False Move
Red Rock West
The Last Seduction

lizard 05-19-05 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Easy
I'll second both of those and throw in October Sky which I never see mentioned anywhere but is a damn fine film.

Good choice. I had a friend lend me the October Sky DVD and thought it was an excellent movie.

Having finally got the chance to watch The Americanization of Emily [3818408, $19.95] again for the first time in 20+ years, I'll suggest that one as a little known gem. Since it was just released on DVD it won't be available for enrollment for several months but it is fulfillment priced.

This black and white 1964 movie stars James Garner, Julie Andrews, and James Coburn. Julie Andrews made it between Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music and it is a completely different role from those two family crowd pleasers. "Emily" is a rather dark satire on the glorification of war and is set in the days leading up to D-Day. Some viewed this dark tone as anti-American so I gather the movie wasn't very popular, to put it mildly. Definitely not for everybody. But Garner, Andrews, the late Coburn, Director Arthur Hiller, and Producer Martin Ransohoff all considered it their favorite work.

fryinpan1 05-19-05 04:59 PM

Cheats is a fun comedy that no one seems to have seen or even know about.

inri222 05-19-05 06:02 PM

Aguirre, The Wrath of God

John Sinnott 05-22-05 04:51 PM

I second Aguirre. Watch the first 30 seconds and you'll be hooked.