Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Has anyone received phone solicitations from CH?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I received a call at work from a person purporting to be a CS rep form CH, who said that they wanted to get me back as a member. He offered 1 movie for $9.95, four free and four more to buy in 2 years. Everything seemed legit (he knew the CH spiel, asked if he could record the call, offered me lame titles, when asked for Troy, he said they were out--I figured a scammer wouldn't say that if he were making a fake offer, so I signed up over the phone with my CC #.)

Ordinarily I hang up on phone solicitations, but this seemed authentic and he already had the same info I use for CH signups, so my suspicions were allayed. About 5 seconds after I hung up, it occurred to me that I might have been the victim of identity theft. I called CH, who said that it was a genuine offer, but they had no way of finding out if I had signed up for a new account because it takes them a week to process applications. The CS rep I called said they didn't call up repeat customers, so I'm a tad freaked right now. My bank shows no unusual charges, so I'm not sure what to think.

So, has anyone else had this happen to them? Is this legit, or have I been inexcusably stupid?
Old 03-01-05, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to get CH solicitations all the time, until I started lying about my phone number when creating new accounts. The offers were always the same -- one up front, then the rest of them afterward. Also, these CSRs had no problems with me having more than two accounts at a time.
Old 03-01-05, 02:11 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got a call with what sounds like a similar deal about a week ago. First call from CH in quite a while.

Last edited by Jim; 03-01-05 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 02:17 PM

I got a call from CH with a similar offer. I signed up via the phone call and it was legit. I had problems getting online apps. approved, so I thought I'd just go for it. I wouldn't worry. They have already called me twice after cancelling. I usually get an email, then a letter in the mail, then a phone call.
Old 03-01-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Some comments:

Troy isn't available as an enrollment yet (as oppsed to being out).

This deal isn't very good, so at least in that regard you should have said no.

A call at work? Do you use that number for your previous applications?

I have been called at home like this before, but not for a long time.

As a rule I do not give out CC information to someone who calls me, only if I call them. That way I am much more certain I am talking to who they say they are.
Old 03-01-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're absolutely right about never giving out one's CC # to a solicitor, but for some reason I heard "Columbia House" and lost my good sense.

And it is a bad deal--the only reason I accepted was that the CSR said that the new deal could be combined with my current unfufilled account, so it would be a 13/4 deal instead of a 6/2.

Stil, the replies I'm seeing are reassuring me that I'm not going to suffer the (completely justifed) consequences of my actions.
Old 03-01-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used to receive an occassional call until I told them to remove my name from their calling list. I would never sign up when they call me because anyone could call and claim to be from BMG or CH.
Old 03-01-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I received the exact same offer over the phone. I almost went for it, but the phone rep tried to convince me by saying the total DVDs will average out to 11.xx each. Once I heard that it made me say "No Thanks".
Old 03-01-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been getting lots of calls recently, but I'm never home. I think my wife finally told them to quit calling. If I want to rejoin, I know how.
Old 03-01-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear
...And it is a bad deal--the only reason I accepted was that the CSR said that the new deal could be combined with my current unfufilled account, so it would be a 13/4 deal instead of a 6/2....
The "CSRs" that make "Cold calls" for CH can't be trusted to honor this. what you'll end up with is more 13/6 (or something like that). I've never heard of CH "combining" accounts like that. As always, phone solicitors say one thing (to get you signed up) & you end up getting something else.
Old 03-02-05, 10:34 PM

they've been calling my house a few times everday. i finally answered and said no and the continue to call.
Old 03-03-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to get CH calls, but not since I went on the DO NOT CALL lists.
Old 03-04-05, 02:26 AM

Use your cellphone, they are not allowed to call you by law.
Old 03-04-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by obi_ant
Use your cellphone, they are not allowed to call you by law.
I started getting phone calls on my cell (not from CH). I won like a 6 day cruise according to the person.
Old 03-08-05, 11:57 PM

i've been receiving solicitations from CH every week, since i cancelled both my accounts last year. i also get the mail solicitations couple times a month. seems CH is eager to retain me as a loyal customer by hounding me constantly. during the time when i get home to the time i go to bed i leave the phone off the hook. my friends and family members know if they want to contact me to hit me up on either my work and personal cell phone.
Old 03-18-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update:

It turns out the solicitation was genuine; I received my enrollments last week and fulfilled on Tuesday using the B1G1 deal. Right now, I'm waiting on the DVDs I ordered to arrive. However, I have a new dilemma: I'm enrolled in 3 DVD club memberships simultaneously, even though the CSR who called me said that he'd close one of my pre-existing memberships and combine the fulfillments with the third account. All 3 memberships were opened with the same address and CC.

The first is my primary account which has my Fun Cash, so I can't close that one until the FC redemption period; the second is new, opened just a few days prior to the third one and I'm still waiting for my fulfillments to arrive, so I don't want to close it until I've made sure the order gets here safely. Ditto for the third. I also have a newly opened TV Edition club membership that I just fulfilled with the B1G1 code and is also one that I can't close until the discs get here.

So on the one hand I'm wallowing in new DVDs, but I'm feeling uneasy because through no fault of my own I'm a CH outlaw. I'm closing the other 3 as soon as my fulfillments arrive and have been checked to ensure that they are defect-free, and then I'm closing the last one when the FC redemption period has come.

Last edited by Gobear; 03-18-05 at 01:28 PM.