Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

DVD Club: TV Edition Introduction and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diceman
anyone know any more numbers for good movie box sets? like kubric or scorsese etc??
i only see a 3-disc set for kubrick. below is what i found for scorsese.

Martin Scorsese: The Complete Collection 1968 - 1736968
normal CH price is $51.71

I like the conflict on the info though.
"Number of Discs: 5"
"in this six-disc set of five of his finest films"
Old 02-03-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Applied Sat for two accts, CSI s1, s2 and CSI s3 and Without a trade s1.
Approved Monday for both.
Got shipping notices today for both orders!

Thanks to OP!
Old 02-03-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, all.

I haven't done Columbia House in years! But I ran into this thread, on accident, and was stricken with the CH bug once I found that they were offering TV sets.

So, I placed a "creative" order on the 27th. I received an email the next day (the 28th) confirming that the order had been placed and informing me that they were going to review my application.

Today, I received an email -- which is 6 days later from the last email -- that my order has been shipped. ("And should arrive shortly." Ha! One thing I remember with CH, was that their shipping was slow to California). Anyway, I'm happy.

I ordered Volume 1 and Volume 2 of Mystery Science Theater. Sure, I could've gone for the more expensive sets, but these are sets I really wanted.

Now just have to get the rest.

If I understand correctly, I can open another account at the same time? That's what I've been reading on these threads, anyway. Some insist it needs a different address, and different billing info, others say it doesn't matter?

Does CH have an official stance regarding this matter? Seems like it's allowed, and it's no big deal.

Anyway, thanks to the OP, and thanks to all the other posters who've kept this thread alive and near the top of the 1st page. Otherwise, I would never have noticed this.
Old 02-03-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you can have two accounts PER club PER address..billing and name can be the same...two regular club..two tv club..same time...they won't care...unless for some reason they just hate you and deny you..
Old 02-03-05, 04:26 PM

I have 2 TV account open with all the exact same info. Both have shipped already. I believe one has been delivered but won't be able to verify till the weekend (ships to dad's house).

Star Trek Voyager Season 1 & 2 (delivered)
Star Trek Original Series Season 1 & 2 (shipped today)
Old 02-03-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by duganrm
I like the conflict on the info though.
"Number of Discs: 5"
"in this six-disc set of five of his finest films"
That first line is wrong, but the second is correct. It's five movies on 6 discs (Goodfellas is a double disc set, the others are single discs).
Old 02-03-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They not only allow you to have two accounts open, they seem to encourage it. Every time I close an account and stayed with one account for more than a couple weeks, I get phone calls and/or emails trying to get me to rejoin.
Old 02-04-05, 01:02 AM

Two accounts approved using H6J and HDL
Managed to get:
Star Trek: Original Series Seasons 1 & 2 (shipped today)
Star Trek: TNG Seasons 5 & 6 (hopefully shipping soon)

Can't believe this is even working. I'll finally be able to finish a good section of my collection on a budget.
Old 02-04-05, 01:14 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yes, they have those rules for a reason. They want you to keep signing up for new accounts, and are happy to have you be two customers at once.

Keep in mind that they are making money even on this deal. And they make even more if you buy anything other than your fulfillments.

Everyone wins.
Old 02-04-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, thanks for the feedback guys.

Now let me ask you this, since I just received the shipping confirmation notice. I really want to do another account so that I can get as complete of the Mystery Science Theater Box Set Collection, as soon as possible. (Hey, you never know when this TV Club Deal will end, right?)

My question is how soon can I open another account? I'm probably just going to go ahead and do it now, anyhow. But since I'll be vegging around the computer, maybe while I'm trying to open a new one up, I'll get a chorus of discouragement in doing so.

So, let me know! Thanks.
Old 02-04-05, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
Ok, thanks for the feedback guys.

Now let me ask you this, since I just received the shipping confirmation notice. I really want to do another account so that I can get as complete of the Mystery Science Theater Box Set Collection, as soon as possible. (Hey, you never know when this TV Club Deal will end, right?)

My question is how soon can I open another account? I'm probably just going to go ahead and do it now, anyhow. But since I'll be vegging around the computer, maybe while I'm trying to open a new one up, I'll get a chorus of discouragement in doing so.

So, let me know! Thanks.
I opened my second account right after my first one got approved (prior to shipping). I don't even think you need to wait that long.
Old 02-04-05, 11:28 AM

I opened two accounts almost simultaneously and had no problems. After closing them out I've had no luck opening a third account but a few pages back it was said CH doesn't seem to allow you to open a 3rd account online for about 2 weeks after you close one of your 2 accounts. I will know more early next week when I try again.
Old 02-04-05, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jough
Keep in mind that they are making money even on this deal.
Proof?
Old 02-04-05, 11:55 AM

WoW!! I haven't done CH in about 2 years during the 'no application goes un-lost' period. I saw this thread had come alive again and put in two applications yesterday. I have one approved this morning (for complete monty python and black adder). Quickest CH ever for me! I logged in and they are calling me a preferred member, eligible for .99 s&h. This used to be reserved for completed memberships. Has this changed?
Old 02-04-05, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 007bugs
WoW!! I haven't done CH in about 2 years during the 'no application goes un-lost' period. I saw this thread had come alive again and put in two applications yesterday. I have one approved this morning (for complete monty python and black adder). Quickest CH ever for me! I logged in and they are calling me a preferred member, eligible for .99 s&h. This used to be reserved for completed memberships. Has this changed?
i was not a preffered member until i completed my membership. it mentioned all the preffered membership "benifits" on the main page but I was not eligble for them till I completed my membership.
Old 02-04-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was successful in getting approved for a 2nd TV Club account (used HDL for 1st account, HJ6 for 2nd). Ordered the following 2 sets:

o The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Boxed Set (Jeremy Brett)
o Gilbert & Sullivan Master Collection (10 discs!)
Old 02-04-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had 2 TV accounts open so I closed one on Monday. The same day I applied for another account but I have not gotten a Welcome to the Club email yet. My accounts before that only took 2 days to get that welcome email. Do I need to have a waiting period between account closure and applying for a new one?
Old 02-04-05, 03:00 PM

I had 2 TV accounts open so I closed one on Monday. The same day I applied for another account but I have not gotten a Welcome to the Club email yet.
I'm in the same boat.

1/22 Closed Account #1 (never received email conf of closure)

1/25 Applied for account #3
Closed Account #2 (never received email conf of closure)

1/27 Applied for account #4

1/30 Re-applied for same sets as account #3

I haven't heard anything at all. A few pages ago thejester wrote this:

From what I've been seeing on my web submissions, CH seems to be limiting enrollments to almost a 2(+/-) week span between attempts. Phone submissions don't seem to hurt this scenario.
According to other posts these deals don't work over the phone so I am going to try resubmitting this coming Monday.
Old 02-04-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bhauge
Was successful in getting approved for a 2nd TV Club account (used HDL for 1st account, HJ6 for 2nd). Ordered the following 2 sets:

o The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Boxed Set (Jeremy Brett)
o Gilbert & Sullivan Master Collection (10 discs!)
How long was it between your "We've received your application" e-mail and "Welcome to the TV Club" e-mail with HJ6? I've done 2 HDL's and got my "Welcome to the TV Club" e-mail 2 days after my "We've received your applicaton" e-mail. I've done 1 HJ6 and it took 5 days for the "Welcome" e-mail, and I just applied for a second HJ6 and it seems to be taking longer again. So, how long was it for you using HJ6?
Old 02-04-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joekun
I'm in the same boat.

1/22 Closed Account #1 (never received email conf of closure)

1/25 Applied for account #3
Closed Account #2 (never received email conf of closure)

1/27 Applied for account #4

1/30 Re-applied for same sets as account #3

I haven't heard anything at all. A few pages ago thejester wrote this:

According to other posts these deals don't work over the phone so I am going to try resubmitting this coming Monday.
FWIW - I've never recieved an email confirmation of an account CLOSURE.

From what my experience has been & what I've read, "mucking up the water" by applying too fast can probably slow you down as well.

I recently tried one of those "inventive" enrollments w/Shogun & a BBS show "Who's coming to Dinner"(?) - never got past the initial $1 CC charge. At that time, I only had 1 approved HDL account open. When I realized that it wasn't going anywhere (no subsequent CC activity), I re-applied for 2 other offerings (Profiler S4 & Dick Van Dyke S3) a week later. Nearly 2 weeks later and my CC only shows the initial $1 CC charge. Guess that one is history as well. I was going to wait at least one more week(maybe 2) before even attempting to re-apply. I think this time I'll use my other CC - JIC.
Old 02-04-05, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by sumdeus
How long was it between your "We've received your application" e-mail and "Welcome to the TV Club" e-mail with HJ6? I've done 2 HDL's and got my "Welcome to the TV Club" e-mail 2 days after my "We've received your applicaton" e-mail. I've done 1 HJ6 and it took 5 days for the "Welcome" e-mail, and I just applied for a second HJ6 and it seems to be taking longer again. So, how long was it for you using HJ6?
It took less than 2 days for me when I used HJ6. Almost the same amount of time as when I used HDL.
Old 02-04-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by duganrm
It took less than 2 days for me when I used HJ6. Almost the same amount of time as when I used HDL.
Yes, it was pretty much the same for me:

HDL account
Submission: 1/19 PM
Acceptance: 1/21 AM

HJ6 account
Submission: 2/2 PM
Acceptance: 2/4 AM

Both accounts used "creative" selections.
Old 02-04-05, 10:55 PM

Well, finally after much waiting and many applications.....

Applied: 2/1/05
Welcome e-mail: 2/2/05
Enrollment Received: 2/7/05 Star Trek TOS Seasons 1 & 2
Code: HDL

Applied: 2/2/05
Welcome e-mail: 2/3/05
Enrollment Received: 2/7/05
Code: LE5D (buy one $9.95, get one free, get one $14.95, 3 commitments left) - Got the first three seasons of ST:TNG - came in a huge heavy box

Both were creative orders.

Last edited by Timsterino; 02-07-05 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-05-05, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by joekun
I opened two accounts almost simultaneously and had no problems. After closing them out I've had no luck opening a third account but a few pages back it was said CH doesn't seem to allow you to open a 3rd account online for about 2 weeks after you close one of your 2 accounts. I will know more early next week when I try again.

Yeah, seems to be the case. Has anyone been able to get three accounts open? Not at the same time but within a week or two. I also haven't gotten a rejection email yet.

Has anyone had any trouble using a different shipping address then billing? How do they track accounts? I'm thinking of trying to use a different email, variation of a name, different card and different shipping address but the same billing address.
Old 02-05-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=tanman]Yeah, seems to be the case. Has anyone been able to get three accounts open? Not at the same time but within a week or two. I also haven't gotten a rejection email yet.[QUOTE]

I closed two account last Friday and opened my 3rd on Monday. Got the "Welcome to the TV Club" on Wednesday. I'm still waiting for the "Welcome..." e-mail on my 4th account, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.