Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

What are some good $20-22 non-enrollments?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have $22 Fun cash to use, already have Schindler's list and American Pie Ultimate - I would appreciate any good titles N/A as enrollment selections. (Not ones which are not YET available, as I am patient - but rather ones which are for some reason or other not available).

The only other one I can think of offhand is Cleopatra 5 star, which I am considering - but would like some more ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NCYankee; 11-23-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-23-04, 10:48 AM

Not a movie, but....

The Who and Special Guests: Live at the Royal Albert Hall. Selection #3012309. I have never been able to get this $21.95 selection as an enrollment. I believe it has dts sound.
Old 11-23-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I recommend:
Memento LE
Starship Troopers SE
Monster Legacy Collection DVDs (Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man)
G.I. Joe: The Original Mini-Series

or some box sets:
Beverly Hills Cop: The Complete Line Up
Wayne's World 1 & 2 - The Complete Epic
Scarface Deluxe Gift Set

Last edited by fryinpan1; 11-23-04 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-23-04, 11:13 AM

Two I can think of:
Close Encounters of the third kind (2 disk)
Grave of the fireflies (2Disk)
Old 11-23-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: What are some good $20-22 non-enrollments?

Originally posted by NCYankee
I have $22 Fun cash to use, already have Schindler's list and American Pie Ultimate - I would appreciate any good titles N/A as enrollment selections. (Not ones which are not YET available, as I am patient - but rather ones which are for some reason or other not available).

The only other one I can think of offhand is Cleopatra 5 star, which I am considering - but would like some more ideas.

Thanks in advance.
If you enjoy British humor at all, if you don't have them I highly recommend "Coupling" or "The Office."

The first season of Coupling is an enrollment, but you can get the second series at the box set price of $26, or the third series at $22, and get the first series on your next membership enrollment and the second/third on the next box set sale. I've always described Coupling as being like Friends, except actually very funny and with a lot more humor directed at both men and women. Very "laugh out loud" funny, and sometimes a bit bawdy without ever being obscene.

Or you can get The Office first series for $22. The second series is available as an enrollment, and The Office special will be in a couple of months. The Office is darkly satirical and very funny. If you have seen Curb Your Enthusiasm and like that sort of awkwardly funny and somewhat cruel humor, you will like this. It takes an episode or two to really get into the flow of the style, but it is exceptionally funny even when it isn't the "laugh out loud" funny of Coupling.

So if it were me, I would get either The Office first series @ $22 (backfilling the remainder of the series through enrollments), or Coupling series 2 or 3 @ $26 and $22 respectively, backfilling via enrollment/next box set sale.

The only warning I would issue is that these are VERY good shows, and you will almost definitely want the complete series after you get your fun cash selection.
Old 11-23-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for some excellent recommendations - so far I am leaning toward Close Encounters, I have never seen the special edition but the reviews I have read say that Spielberg's changes really improve the film.

Bill - those series sound good, though I think I will catch a few episodes on BBCA before I consider buying the DVDs. DDD has the complete Office series for $42 - would have been a nice buy during the 20% off sale last week. In any event, I have several TV series to catch up on at the time.

Last edited by NCYankee; 11-23-04 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-23-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by NCYankee
Bill - those series sound good, though I think I will catch a few episodes on BBCA before I consider buying the DVDs. DDD has the complete Office series for $42 - would have been a nice buy during the 20% off sale last week. In any event, I have several TV series to catch up on at the time.
The one thing about these series' is that you can pretty much watch an entire season in one evening (and since I got addicted to them quickly, I often ended up doing just that). They are from 6 to 8 episodes each, running about 1/2 hour per episode. So most can be watched in a 3 hour block of time. I also have a few series' to catch up on (and Seinfeld should be here any day now to boot ), but I've watched Coupling and The Office twice each, once by myself, and once with the wife, who incidently loved them both (though Coupling more).
Old 11-23-04, 11:11 PM

How about any of the Monster Legacy sets?
Dracula 3142106
Frankenstein 3142205
Wolfman 3142304

-EDIT-
Oops! These were already mentioned! These are also good fulfillment titles, as they are only $20.21. I plan to get 2 of these on my next account. Good luck making that choice!

Last edited by basaro; 11-24-04 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-24-04, 12:20 AM
Banned

Anything new that's regular price $19.99 at stores would be $21.95 at CH. But I concur with the Memento LE post.
Old 11-24-04, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up Memento LE at Blockbuster tonight, so my choices are pretty much between Starship Troopers SE and Close Encounters. Reviews I have read say that the audio and video quality on Close Encounters is not all that great.
Old 11-24-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starship Troopers has terrifric video and dynamic audio. I thought the Close Encounters audio/video were very good also, though it is an older and darker looking film (as opposed to Troopers), but that's more to do with the original material.
Old 11-24-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I spent about twenty minutes putting together a list...

... then noticed the non-enrollemnts aspect.

Crap.
Old 11-24-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Amadeus: The Director's Cut SE

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest SE

Near Dark
Old 11-25-04, 12:05 AM

I didn't care for it, but some might recommend The Tick: The Entire Series. There's also MTV's animated Spider-Man, which I haven't seen.
Old 11-25-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow - thanks for more good recommendations, though making my choice harder.

I loved The Tick, but Cuckoo's Nest is great. I didn't like Amadeus when I first saw it, but I was young - I think I would like it now. (Already have Near Dark 2-disc or that would be in the running).

Decisions, decisions....

Last edited by NCYankee; 11-25-04 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-25-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
The Ben Stiller Show
The Tick
Challenge Of The Superfriends First Season