Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Is anybody else CONSTANTLY being bugged by CH to re-join via phone?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, this is getting quite ridiculous. I'm getting like 3 calls a day from Columbia House asking me to re-join the DVD Club (When I actually JUST GOT TWO APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED) with the deal, buy one DVD for $9.95 and get 4 DVDs free, w/ free shipping, and you have 4 dvds to fullfill. I constantly tell them that I'm not interested at this time, and they continue to call me. Anybody else having a similar problem like this and just wants to tell them to STOP F&*#$@% CALLING ME!? Is there any kind of a "don't call me" list?
Old 07-27-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I occasionally receive calls from them even though I usually go through about one TV Club account per month and keep a regular DVD account open. The calls are annoying and the deals they offer are not that good. Also, I would not want to give someone my credit card info just because they call and claim to be from Columbia House.
Old 07-27-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't get the calls because I don't give CH my real phone number.
Old 07-27-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ I'm with the lizard... CH gets a bogus phone number with every application...
Old 07-27-04, 10:26 AM

I've gotten a few of these, and they all have been by people who can barely speak English it seems. I can't imagine anyone saying "why yes, I'd love to sign up for those movies that you just mispronounced at a rate that is much worse that what I originally joined for!" And I still have an active account, is the weird thing. I think they probably call you once for every account you close or something like that.
Old 07-27-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lizard
That's what I'm going to start doing from now on, I figured I might need to use my real number in case of a service problem, but it's not even worth it when I'm constantly being pestered by somebody to join. And yes, it does sound like they barely speak english.
Old 07-27-04, 12:59 PM

Same here. I ended up saying that I moved out! Dont know if they still call my house.
It happens with BMG too. I got a call saying they offerred me Buy 3 Get 12 free.
Old 07-27-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm on the NY State "do not call" list which was automatically added to the national list last October - no calls at all, not from CH, not from any telemarketers at all.
Old 07-27-04, 03:31 PM

As I understand the "do not call" thing, companies that you have done business with in the past can still call you.

I thought that some companies used the phone number you supply to verify credit card information, so I've been giving my correct number. Do you guys just make something up? Wouldn't that mean that someone else is getting bothered?
Old 07-27-04, 08:46 PM

Long ago, I told the telemarketers to place me on their company's Do Not Call list. The National DNC does allow companies you have done business with in the last eighteen months to contact you, but I don't believe that this overrides an earlier law that required them to put you on their DNC list at your request.

Just for sport, I used to insist that they send me a copy of their DNC policy as required by the law. That would really send the TM into a spin, and I would always wind up with the supervisor (usually ignorant of the law). One fool even tried to tell me that I should just listen to their pitch. He got straightened out double-quick ...
Old 07-27-04, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just tell the operator to remove your number from their call list, and they will do it.
Old 07-27-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by lizard
Thanks for the heads up. I just changed mine online.
Old 07-28-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just use your cell #. I use it for everything, even the spam-laden stuff (like freebizmag) but never get a call since it's illegal. Quite nice I must say. I did add my number to the nation no-call list as well, but hey, better safe ...
Old 07-28-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by drjay
Just use your cell #. I use it for everything, even the spam-laden stuff (like freebizmag) but never get a call since it's illegal. Quite nice I must say. I did add my number to the nation no-call list as well, but hey, better safe ...
The number that I give CH is my cell #, and I am still getting atleast one call daily (well, I did not get one yesterday FINALLY).
Old 07-28-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by icruise
As I understand the "do not call" thing, companies that you have done business with in the past can still call you.
That is my understanding as well.

I thought that some companies used the phone number you supply to verify credit card information, so I've been giving my correct number. Do you guys just make something up? Wouldn't that mean that someone else is getting bothered?
I use automated phone lines (eg. a local movie theater, time & weather, and the like) so that any junk calls from CH don't bother actual people. I suppose that you could also use that old standby: 555-1212.

By the way, CH uses caller ID. The CSR has the number you are calling from on their screen (in case you want to be paranoid about what number you are calling from!), although they don't usually pay attention to it. I have had them call me back without me giving them a number. (If you don't believe me, ask the CSR what number you are calling from the next time you talk to one... )
Old 07-28-04, 08:02 PM

They don't use caller ID for their own calls, though (meaning that their calls show up as "unknown" or something similar rather than showing a name or phone number). I never answer calls that show up as toll-free, since these are always telemarketers, but I've been fooled a few times by the "unknown" display, since that is also what some international calls display. Come to think of it, maybe they had that display because they were international calls (India?).
Old 07-28-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just last night. Happens at least once per month.
Old 07-29-04, 04:01 AM
Banned

I've had 5 or so accounts in the past, but I've only been called back once. Had a bunch of "we want you back" envelopes, though.
Old 07-29-04, 08:31 PM

I've used my real number a few times but my last 3 accounts have used false numbers and have not been called at all. Lot's of e-mail and mail offers though.
Old 07-29-04, 09:05 PM

I get multiple calls a day but don't answer because I see them on the caller ID. I never thought about giving a fake number, but maybe I'll change my number to a 555 one.