Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Columbia House sells censored DVDs???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Columbia House sells censored DVDs???

ARGH! I just tried to post this, but my IE crashed! Grrr...

So let me make this quick: does anyone know if CH sells "clean" DVDs? I was watching Crash, and without giving away anything about the movie, I'll say that in my Columbia House-copy, about 23-24 minutes in, someone says the word "crotch", but the audio sounds COMPLETELY different. This is very frustrating, to have paid a ridiculous $21+ for a censored version of the movie. CH is a disgrace.

If anyone owns a non-CH version of this movie, can you confirm that this was edited?
Old 09-21-05, 10:18 PM

This is a joke, right?
Old 09-21-05, 10:51 PM

It's not a joke. Is it because of the word I pointed out? I wish I had other examples to use too. But I'm telling you, I had headphones on, and the audio for that word didn't even sound remotely like the same person.
Old 09-22-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could have been done in post production. I remember watching Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead and they covered up 'prick' with 'punk' at least two times.

Is this what you are talking about?
Old 09-22-05, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by conscience
It could have been done in post production. I remember watching Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead and they covered up 'prick' with 'punk' at least two times.

Is this what you are talking about?
Yeah, that sounds like what happened in my case. I thought CH may have had a supply of Wal-Mart friendly copies of Crash or something.
Old 09-22-05, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the highest crime is that you paid 21$+ for it from columbia house. for that price you could have gotten it and at least 2 more if done correctly.
Old 09-22-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Does CH sell censored DVDs? No ..... for example, I got Bertolucci's The Dreamers from them, and while I can't recall if the word "crotch" was heard anywhere in the dialogue, crotch was definitely seen!
Old 09-22-05, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
the highest crime is that you paid 21$+ for it from columbia house. for that price you could have gotten it and at least 2 more if done correctly.
Hehe...I was thinking the same thing Much to learn this newbie has...much to learn...
Old 09-22-05, 01:24 PM

liquiduce - Seriously, CH sells the same DVD's as every other store. Also, as the others suggested, you should be paying no more than $6 for any regular movie title through CH. Spend a few hours reading the threads here and it will all make sense. If not, we'll be happy to answer specific questions.
Old 09-22-05, 04:12 PM

he isn't paying an average of $21 a dvd. He probably bought crash as a fulfillment. How could you not pick up on that?

btw- I just checked my version of crash and it isnt a different voice. Its just that the sound goes down a little bit and then back up.

Last edited by esc24; 09-22-05 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by esc24
he isn't paying an average of $21 a dvd. He probably bought crash as a fulfillment. How could you not pick up on that?
He's the one who said he paid $21(+) for it, not us.
Old 09-23-05, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by esc24

btw- I just checked my version of crash and it isnt a different voice. Its just that the sound goes down a little bit and then back up.
You're right, Crash was bought as a fulfillment.

Thanks for the responses everyone, guess I was just being paranoid. To me, that one line from Crash still sounds a bit fishy, but I don't have the energy to care anymore.
Old 09-23-05, 08:17 PM

There is a common practice for studios to "voice-over" the actor's voice back in the studio (with the same actor's voice), if the sound byte didn't come out right on the original reel (usually happens outdoors). If the person who's the sound mixer is not really careful when dubbing, it is concievable that someone might hear the sound discrepancy on a high end home theater audio system. As far as I know the "voice-overs" are always the same as the original soundtrack, but IMO it's feasible that some cursing may be toned down intentionally (to get a PG-13 rating maybe?).
Old 09-24-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Yeah the use of the word crotch would bring it from an R rating down to an R rating. doesn't make much sense whu they would have changed this.