Columbia House newbies: Ask questions here

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Columbia House newbies: Ask questions here

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-01, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the previous incarnation of this thread was lost in the downgrade of the vBulletin software, and there was some good information being exchanged, let's give this another shot.

Let's please keep this thread free of flames so that anyone that's new to the Columbia House DVD Club or looking to join can feel comfortable asking any questions they might have. We understand that people can get overwhelmed with the pages and pages of discussion that is contained in the main Columbia House threads, but please at least read the main Columbia House FAQ before asking questions as Todd B has done a fantastic job of answering most questions that arise.
Old 04-25-01, 10:30 AM

I'll try to post any of the info I can remember from the since-deleted CH newbies thread from yesterday.

Fulfillments: A DVD will be considered a fulfillment only if the purchase price, after any applicable sale adjustments, is greater than $19.95. As an example, The Natural has a list price of $24.95 at Columbia House. At this price, this will count as a fulfillment if purchased. However, with an account that receives the "All On Sale" deal, the purchase price is lowered to $18.95, thus making it ineligible for fulfillment. The only exception to this $19.95 rule is when the occassional "10% Off for Online Purchases" sale is in effect, which then lowers the price of a $19.95 movie to $17.95 and still counts as an enrollment. A new code, 5ADD, is worded so that it sounds like anything over $14.95 will be considered a fulfillment selection, but there hasn't been a final word yet on this, and Columbia House themselves are giving conflicting information to different people.

Shipping: Shipping charges for fulfillment selections are $3.99 for the first movie (non-box sets) and $2.29 for additional movies in that same order. If you elect to purchase your fulfillment titles in separate purchases at different times, each will be charged $3.99 shipping. So the best way to maximize the savings is to order all fulfillments in the same order.
Old 04-25-01, 02:52 PM

I haven't seen this answered, but if it has, I'm sorry for asking again. I have one membership in the regular DVD club and one in the 89 cent one. Does that count as my two or can I have two in each? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-25-01, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by megashopper
I have one membership in the regular DVD club and one in the 89 cent one. Does that count as my two or can I have two in each? Thanks for your help.
You can have two in each
Old 04-25-01, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD NDN
Originally posted by megashopper
I have one membership in the regular DVD club and one in the 89 cent one. Does that count as my two or can I have two in each? Thanks for your help.
You can have two in each
I have about 13 in the .89 club
I know a few have been closed but just had 4 .89 dvds charged to the cc last week! ...2 in the main club and the .89 is pretty much unlimited!!
Old 04-25-01, 08:49 PM

I've been wondering--I joined six months ago on a 2 free offer with my Sony DVD player. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse... Didn't have to buy anything at all and no automatic shipments. I'm sure it was subsidized by Sony.. My question: Can I still join the regular club? I want to get in on some inexpensive DVD action like all the rest. I suppose I could just try, but if anyone has any knowledge of this, I'd be much obliged.
Old 04-25-01, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Yes. Just close your account (since you have no obligation on it), and call in or sign up online for a new one. You can have up to 2 simultaneous accounts.
Old 04-26-01, 12:39 PM
Cool New Member

Discounts typically offered

I have seen the CH "All DVDs on Sale" offer and calculated the discount to be 25%. Some folks have mentioned sales that offered 40% off. Has CH offered 30% off or someother discount or do they stick with the 25 and 40%???

The reason I ask is to see about getting some titles not available for enrollment but using them on discount for fulfillment. i.e. a $26.95 title with 25% off would be $20.21 or a $32.95 with 40% off would be $19.77
Old 04-26-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Discounts typically offered

Originally posted by BlurryEyes
I have seen the CH "All DVDs on Sale" offer and calculated the discount to be 25%. Some folks have mentioned sales that offered 40% off. Has CH offered 30% off or someother discount or do they stick with the 25 and 40%???

The reason I ask is to see about getting some titles not available for enrollment but using them on discount for fulfillment. i.e. a $26.95 title with 25% off would be $20.21 or a $32.95 with 40% off would be $19.77
I've heard tell in these parts of an elusive 30% off that comes around rarely. I think CH sticks mainly to 20-25% and 40% for just the reasons you mentioned. They purposely make it just above or just under the fulfillment price so you either get a decent bargain and a fulfillment, or a great bargain and no fulfillment.
Old 04-26-01, 01:22 PM

BlurryEyes,

The "All On Sale" is probably the best sale CH offers for fulfillments. You basically get 25% off (some people report 30%, I've never seen it) all titles with no other purchase requirements. This is a great sale to bring new releases and other non-enrollment titles down to a nice fulfillment price.

The other 2 very common sales are similar to each other, "Buy 1, Get 40% off" and "Buy 1, get 2 more for $141.95 each". Both of those sales require you to purchase 1 movie at full price, and the movies that you get at the sale price must have a list price equal to or lesser than the first one purchased. For example, if you select 3 movies costing $29.95, $24.95, and $19.95, you'll have to pay full price on the $29.95 one and then get the other 2 at the sale price. These two deals aren't looked at very favorably by CH members trying to optimize their fulfillments since it brings the average price paid above $19.95 for movies that will count as fulfillments.

Also, when the sale price brings the price below $19.95, you might be able to get a CS to adjust the price to $19.95 if it's within a dollar or two. Several people have reported success in getting prices adjusted from $18.95 to $19.95 so that these qualify for fulfillments.
Old 04-26-01, 01:57 PM

Post your support for a DVD/CD Club forum here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...8&pagenumber=2

peace
Old 04-28-01, 01:56 AM

Since this is a question asked at least once a week, let's answer it here in the newbie thread.

Yes, Terminator 2:Ultimate Edition (aka T2:UE) is available for enrollment, but you must call it in. Same thing with code D7G, you must call it in.
Old 04-28-01, 04:28 PM

Up to 30% off collectors sets with no other purchase necessary?

I joined CH recently with the 5ADD code and I get the buy 1 get 2 at 40% off screen on the website. I'm a little confused about the "collectors sets for up to 30% off with no other purchase necessary" deal. I don't know what sets are on sale or what percentage off is offered on any of them. I've done random searches on several sets and just get the MSRP. I'd really like to know if either the Best of Hitchcock sets 1 or 2 (MSRP 174.95) are on sale. Does anyone know?
Old 04-28-01, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Up to 30% off collectors sets with no other purchase necessary?

Originally posted by Aguirre
I joined CH recently with the 5ADD code and I get the buy 1 get 2 at 40% off screen on the website. I'm a little confused about the "collectors sets for up to 30% off with no other purchase necessary" deal. I don't know what sets are on sale or what percentage off is offered on any of them. I've done random searches on several sets and just get the MSRP. I'd really like to know if either the Best of Hitchcock sets 1 or 2 (MSRP 174.95) are on sale. Does anyone know?
The Hitchcock box sets will most likely be 25% off MSRP, which isn't bad. Check with a CSR at 1-888-CHC-DVDS on the actual price and shipping costs.

Also, the Buy 1 get 2 at 40% off isn't worth it, and won't work to lower the price on the box set. Buy your fulfillments and get out. The sooner you get back to the beginning, the sooner you can can those great enrollment deals.

-Beebs
Old 04-30-01, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
An offer to newbies:

There are a lot of questions along the lines of "how much is this DVD at CH?". Of course, you can't get prices from CH unless you have on-line access or a catalog.

I've got a bunch of CH catalogs and fliers that I'm about to toss. So if any newbies who have NOT yet joined CH would like a set, you're more than welcome to a set for the cost of postage, which would be around a buck (the envelope's on me). I'll include the 2001 spring catalog and what ever else will fit in the envelope and still stay under 4 ounces.

Just drop me an email at [email protected]

I've got around 5 set available....
Old 04-30-01, 04:59 PM
Cool New Member

How long to deliver?

I ordered 3 DVD's and the money was taken from my account for 2 of them on 4/20 and the other on 4/23.

How long does delivery normally take?

Mark B
Old 04-30-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

mbriody - Depends really... Most of my accounts average about 14 days from time of order to delivery in my hands. If your titles are back ordered, it may take a little longer.
Old 04-30-01, 05:33 PM

Is there any way to check on the status of your orders? I've been looking for half an hour on their web site, and I searched the faq, and can't find anything.
Old 04-30-01, 06:09 PM

RandyM,
Order status is not available online. Best bet is to call customer service. You can also check to see if your credit card has been billed. If it has, your shipment will be enroute within a day or so.
Old 04-30-01, 07:34 PM

Thanks, Rant. I feel better knowing it wasn't me being stupid.
Old 04-30-01, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by Rant
RandyM,
Order status is not available online. Best bet is to call customer service. You can also check to see if your credit card has been billed. If it has, your shipment will be enroute within a day or so.
Also, you can call the 800-457-0866 24/7 for all sorts of automated info, including shipment info, fulfillments still needed, etc.

Nice little feature....
Old 05-09-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread was buried on page 5...

Good idea, let's try to keep it near the front for the newbies... ^
Old 05-09-01, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i agree
Old 05-09-01, 02:56 PM

All DVDs are have 50% of sale price at their site right now. My question, T2:Ultimate Edition's MSRP is 39.99 and is currently priced 19.98 at columbiahouse.com, can I purchase this at 19.98 as a fulfullment? Thanks.
Old 05-09-01, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Maryang Palad
All DVDs are have 50% of sale price at their site right now. My question, T2:Ultimate Edition's MSRP is 39.99 and is currently priced 19.98 at columbiahouse.com, can I purchase this at 19.98 as a fulfullment? Thanks.
Yes you can, but in order to get the deal of 50% off, you must purchase one movie of equal or more value at regular price to get one at 50% off.

doug

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.