Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Black Friday 2020

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Black Friday 2020

One store in my area put these 1.88 & 2.88 discs out. It's the worst ever assortment yet.
Old 11-15-20, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I started going to Black Fridays since 2005 or 2006; this year's selection at Wal-Mart was the weakest of them all.

The large store had half their usually offerings. The regular store had a quarter of that. I asked one of the staff and was told this all they got.

Missing from the above pixs is "Jay & Silent Bob Reboot" since it was still in the bag when these were taken.

I was expecting more and got so much less. Granted it was a decent hawl, it should've been bigger.

Reading ReelFlick's comments, I'm not sure if I want to even try Big Lots.
Old 11-17-20, 07:57 AM

Target

November 22nd, 2020.

Store closed on Thanksgiving. Open on the 27th.

Buy two get one free on all movies (DVD/BD/4k BD), books and music. Items are shown, but no prices listed.

This is so lazy, why even have an ad if you don't have prices???
Old 11-17-20, 05:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, some or many places gonna be closed or close sooner then usual cause virus crap. but to not show price if u want traffic is lame. like why give details if no prices.
Old 11-17-20, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

I don't think Target really cares about the typical media consumer anymore - their retail priorities are moms and middle class housewives.
Old 11-20-20, 03:39 AM

Dollar Tree

It appears they'll have Black Friday DVDs and BDs assortment.

As I understand these boxes will go out on November 27th. But some stores will have them earlier out.
Old 11-20-20, 01:30 PM

Yea, cant always go by street date cause have seen mine stock them sooner so may have to check today ahead of the date so score any decent stuff by chance. i mean why even park a date to stock if stores just stock if got space. i even saw a guy show he got allowed to go in back and check boxes ahead of stocking so some stores do get like 5 or more box anytime. i have evenseen front table full and some in box on sides so i feel lucky close to me we get a good amount of media when and if we get any.
Old 11-21-20, 07:38 AM

A side note.

Was at Wal-Mart yesterday, asked - there are no plan to restock last Saturday's DVDs/BDs. Meaning it was first come, first served.
Old 11-21-20, 04:31 PM

Yea, i asked about any left over black friday media and they just said whatver in bins is all got so they either sold out or just repacked to use later cause the only bin i saw of media was maxed out and beyond lol.. it like u gotta have a basket now or piles fall over lol. i picky about media cause want alot i care to check for what pay to see and if just movie and no extras i care to check out then i just skip it. for now if any i can check biglots later for their black friday stuff any and hope some good stuff. and checkd dt and only had old stock left so not added new any if got any cause thought might have stocked but they not enough help from what i see so gotta make trip later and hope for any new at time. can only guess this pandemic has caused places to cut back help to save and have less people around to do anything. i just wonder what places be open turkey day since some or many gonna close for a change cause pandemic and all.
Old 11-22-20, 04:28 AM

i picky about media cause want alot i care to check for what pay
Same here.

- - -

Folks going to BF at Big Lots and Target post your finds. I'm curious.
Old 11-23-20, 03:31 AM

Took a chance and went to my local Dollar Tree they got their assortment and it's out - my jaw dropped. Probably the largest they ever had. Some of which were not Region 1 titles, they were imports from England. That's a first. Since I took home a lot on Wal-Mart's BF I only bought eleven titles. Much of it was stuff I already owned or not worth my money, even at a dollar. Saw "Blade Runner: The Final Cut" and one of the seasons of "Doctor Who". Found some good stuff like season two of "Bitten"... for a dollar.

Turns out I was far more excited over Dollar Tree's offerings than the big box stores. Can't say if that's a good thing.

Their DVD (and BDs too) were not in the front, but in the rear of the store; one of the end caps. Few people saw them. So I pretty much got prime choice of titles. Spent nearly half an hour looking and reading back covers.
Old 11-23-20, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the closest Dollar Tree today and while they did not have anything out they did have four boxes of dvds/brs on a cart sitting in the corner underneath a bunch of other boxes, each box contains 60 movies and reads to be put up 11-27. Of course at stores like this the stockers frequently ignore these messages and put out the stock immediately - or weeks after it is to hit the shelves. On a hunch I went to another Dollar Tree seven miles away and yes they were out, on bottom shelves in the book area, stocked two deep (they are supposed to go on end caps or display trays according to the boxes). Didn't have my phone on me so no pix but it appears to be largely a typical DT collection of obscure movies often starring unknown actors. Most titles had two copies on the shelf and I'd imagine I was one of the first if not the first to hit the collection given how neatly if inconveniently stacked they were and I'd say the total was indeed about 240 movies, with maybe only 30 blu-rays (the blu-rays were generally better titles, not really a surprise given a lot of the junk probably never had a Blu-ray release.) Anyway I bought these:

DVDS:
Top Cat the Movie
Warner Bros. Academy Award Animation Collection 15 winners
You're Not You - Josh Duhamel
Living and the Dead - BBC 2 disc - Collin Morgan
Hello My Name is Doris - Sally Field
Brave Town - Josh Duhamel
BBC Earth: Finding Phil
BBC Earth: Dolphins in the Pod
BBC Earth: The Real Jungle Book
BBC Earth: Planet Ant

Blu-ray
Green Lantern - Ryan Reynolds - 2 disc
Purple Rain - Prince
Twilight Breaking Dawn
Man From Uncle - Armie Hammer

Other movies I saw were four or so other BBC Earth titles, a Top Cat in computer animation, Katt Williams standup comedy, movies starring Ben Affleck, Katie Holmes, Robert Duvall, Viola Davis, Scott Eastwood, etc. The only movies that appeared to be from the 20th century were SUPERMAN II with Christopher Reeve and a Police Academy two-film set.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (11-28-20)
Old 11-25-20, 06:22 AM

Went to a second store and took home more titles. Was hoping to find the other seasons of "Bitten" (other than S2). Nope.
Old 11-25-20, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnIan
A side note.

Was at Wal-Mart yesterday, asked - there are no plan to restock last Saturday's DVDs/BDs. Meaning it was first come, first served.
I was at Walmart on the 14th, the day of one of their"black Friday" deals, and they were packing up the DVD's, games, vinyls within 30 minutes of the sale starting. They were putting some back to the regular shelves; the rest was going back on a pallet and to the back room.
Old 11-26-20, 03:31 AM

Yea, i tried score any left over black friday media at walmart and they had already put it away and only had a bin mixed of media so they didnt plan to try get rid of any after the event. so u had to go at time or miss out even if any didnt sell. so i may checl random but no reason go walmart unless to get any i real want or need at time. since go 2 different walmart close by not sure the grocer one got any so i rare go to that one much. they gotta stop maxing out the bins or need a basket to check any. saw they shove out the xmas to front so any media was like in one bin it seemed. knowing how places around price media that i know where to go for cheap media any at random times.
Old 11-27-20, 02:51 AM

so u had to go at time or miss out even if any didnt sell.
That's what happened to me.
Old 11-28-20, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Walmart seems less and less enthusiastic about media with each passing month. Their Black Friday selections were fairly paltry, especially compared to prior years.
Old 12-01-20, 05:12 PM

Not sure it cause pandemic or what but walmart made sure i guess to not have as much media and to make it cost more then years past. the evils of having new ads show before event to control traffic anytime lol. so was not jazzed on price and then not to have any leftovers on display does not help get rid of stock any unless they just get rid of it by selling it to places to retag for other stores or thrift any lol. i mean can always add media to clearance any or dump bins by chance anytime. cause it will sell but not for as much as they wanted for a big event. oh well get it at other places cheaper by chance. or see how things go next year any.