DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Collection DVD Box $30 On Amazon

Old 02-18-20, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Collection DVD Box $30 On Amazon

How good of a deal is this?

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 02-18-20 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-19-20, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Collection DVD Box $30 On Amazon

I'd say it depends on how many of the included films you own. IMHO it's missing too many classics to be called "Ultimate." It's also packaged in one of those book things - page slots masquerading as disc holders.

MIA are To Catch a Thief, Notorious, Strangers on a Train, The Man Who Knew too Much, Suspicion, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Dial M for Murder, and others.

Still... 15, mostly classic, Hitchcock films for $30 isn't bad... and you get a sampling of the TV series.
Old 02-19-20, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm wondering if I wait if the price is likely to go down. Looking for a cheap intro. For reasons I no longer remember, I hated the TV series as a kid; but it seems like he is a director I SHOULD like.
Old 02-19-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts

Yeah, it’s a Universal set plus North by Northwest so it’s not going to include every important film, but should have his peak stuff. If you’re just looking for an intro, it’d be simpler to get the Essentials Collection, but on BD it’s about the same price for only five films. I myself wouldn’t hold my breath for a 15-film DVD set to drop below $30, but it really depends on what you want, and whether BD is important to you. Also, some people have had issues with DVD scratches from that kind of packaging. A few years back, I got the similar collection in BD from the UK. Maybe around $50, but I’m a fan so it was worth it to me.
Old 02-19-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
I'm wondering if I wait if the price is likely to go down. Looking for a cheap intro. For reasons I no longer remember, I hated the TV series as a kid; but it seems like he is a director I SHOULD like.
I like the TV series better than many of his movies. He has several idiosyncrasies that drive me up the wall (his penchant for mixing location shooting with really bad rear screens of the same location - apparently to control actors/dialog better - is the main one). I've had several really good films of his ruined for me by that practice - it totally takes me out of the movie. Some of his classics I find laughable (The Birds for one - the visual effects are no better than TV effects at best and get high marks from some people. I don't get it - the mattes are as bad as some from Mr. BIG [Bert I. Gordon] and look about as realistic).

I wouldn't look for the price to drop. According to camelcamelcamel this is a historic low. The next lowest price was $40.

If you have a BR player you might want to check out some of the UK BR sets. Every one of those I've looked at are region free and not much more expensive than the DVD sets.

This one regularly sells in the 30.00 price range and occasionally drops even lower (the new "improved" editor won't let me put the URL in straight and reverts to that link):
Amazon Amazon

It, like that DVD set, has a good starter set of films.
Old 02-20-20, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 318 Likes on 273 Posts

I really wouldn't expect that DVD set to get much cheaper except in isolated, one-off deals. Pretty much essential for cinema lovers.
Old 02-22-20, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Personally I'd wait for the 2012 UK Bluray Masterpiece set to drop to 20 again (about $25 shipped). It's done so at least once or twice a year.
It doesn't include NxNW, but the standalone copy has a couple extras that the US BD Boxset disc is missing anyway. US Universal traded rights to one of their movies (?Spartacus) to allow Warner to release the
Kubrick boxset in exchange for rights to put NxNW into the US Hitchcock boxset

A couple odd soundtrack choices in the various BD sets
Psycho in the UK BD set has an upgraded lossless Mono audio track in addition to the lossless 5.1 while the US set has lossless 5.1/lossy Mono, but the UK Vertigo is missing the original Mono and only has the newer 5.1 track.
I think I already had the standalone NxNW by the time the bigger boxsets came out
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (02-22-20)
Old 03-02-20, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Personally I'd wait for the 2012 UK Bluray Masterpiece set to drop to 20 again (about $25 shipped). It's done so at least once or twice a year.
It doesn't include NxNW, but the standalone copy has a couple extras that the US BD Boxset disc is missing anyway. US Universal traded rights to one of their movies (?Spartacus) to allow Warner to release the
Kubrick boxset in exchange for rights to put NxNW into the US Hitchcock boxset

A couple odd soundtrack choices in the various BD sets
Psycho in the UK BD set has an upgraded lossless Mono audio track in addition to the lossless 5.1 while the US set has lossless 5.1/lossy Mono, but the UK Vertigo is missing the original Mono and only has the newer 5.1 track.
I think I already had the standalone NxNW by the time the bigger boxsets came out
The DVD set has jumped to $57, so I think I'll watch for that blu set. Not a huge priority..............