DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Best Buy DVD prices (September 1st - 7th, 2019) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/648510-best-buy-dvd-prices-september-1st-7th-2019-a.html)

JohnIan 09-01-19 03:07 AM

Best Buy DVD prices (September 1st - 7th, 2019)

I got nothing - still listing last week's deals. Can't say if this is because of Labor Day, holiday. Or website mismanagement?

I'll check again later tonight.

As pointed out; there appears to be something going on with the store. Their weekly listing is missing. Now has 'Top Deals'. I can only assume this is week long - all other store have weekly prices, be it home media or groceries.

Now... if this turns out to be the case. Daily sales or listings which are only valid for a few days. Then I'm ending the write-ups for Best Buy. I'm not going to do this each and everyday.

Time will tell.

JohnIan 09-01-19 06:02 AM

Re: Best Buy DVD prices (September 1st - 7th, 2019)

It's now four am. I'm done. Going to bed.

JohnIan 09-02-19 02:04 AM

I don't know what's going on.

Had a seriously busy day. My toilet kinda went bust. It's fixable and I'm lucky I have someone who can fix it for next to nothing, but that can't happen until tomorrow. Jerry-rigged to work now, real gentle.

And other stupid stuff.

It's now Monday morning. By my clock 12:04am; their website still hasn't updated; still listing last week's ad.

I know the store has had problems; they go through CEOs like Tick-Tacs. But are they starting to circle the drain? Are they paying their vendors? I'll check again tomorrow.

PhantomStranger 09-02-19 02:19 AM

Some Best Buy employee over on Blu-ray.com announced the company has permanently discontinued weekly ads and sale prices that last the whole week. Deals going forward will be listed on their website, largely lasting 3-4 days at a time.

Best Buy is actually doing relatively well as a company these days - they've basically transitioned to cellphones and appliances as the core of their business model. They aren't carrying much media in stores. They will still have sales, but expect limited-time deals.

They apparently got sick of Amazon copying their sale items and reaping all the benefits.

Thank you for posting these on a weekly basis for years, John. I always liked checking your posts out in case I missed something.

JohnIan 09-03-19 02:23 AM

Update...

Men In Black: International
* Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/BD combo $32.99

It (2017)
* Exclusive steelbook; 4k BD/DC combo $24.99

It (original)
* Exclusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $14.99

- - -

Men In Black: International $19.99

Booksmart $14.99

Ma $22.99

- - -

Missing Link $14.99
Rocketman $17.99
Alita: Battle Angel $17.99
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters $19.99

- - -

Wizards Of Waverly Palace: The Movie $4.99
Doc McStuffins: Toy Hosptial $4.99
Doc McStuffins: Doc Pet Vet $6.99
Doc McStuffins: Time For Your Check Up $6.99
Minnie: Helping Hearts $6.99
Minnie's Happy Helpers $6.99
Mickey And The Roadster Racers: Start Your Engines $6.99
Mickey And The Roadster Racers: Vol. 1 $6.99
Descendants $6.99
Descendants 2 $6.99

- - -

True Detective: The Complete Third Season $39.99
Young Sheldon: The Complete Second Season $29.99
NCIS: The Sixteenth Season $29.99
The Blacklist: Season 6 $24.99
The Addams Family: The Complete Series $24.99
Lost In Space: Season 1 (reboot) $19.99
MASH: The Complete Series $74.99
Chicago Fire: Season 6 $17.99
Chicago PD: Season 5 $17.99

Okay. This was super late. WTF Best Buy, folks want to know in advance about how they might spend their money.

Three days only? So from Tuesday forward. Joy. Thanks for the news, PhantomStranger.

PhantomStranger 09-03-19 04:27 PM

They basically want consumers constantly checking their website for new deals. I imagine it's for viral marketing - this way you get online "buzz" more often with a new deal posted. Everything in marketing these days is geared around social media and how companies can game consumers' attention.

BobO'Link 09-04-19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13602720)
They basically want consumers constantly checking their website for new deals. I imagine it's for viral marketing - this way you get online "buzz" more often with a new deal posted. Everything in marketing these days is geared around social media and how companies can game consumers' attention.

They've failed with me. Outside a couple of forum sites I don't do "social media" (never have) and don't check anyone's web site "daily" for deals. It's not worth the hassle/time. I automatically delete 99% of the emails I get from them without reading them first.

PhantomStranger 09-05-19 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13603035)
They've failed with me. Outside a couple of forum sites I don't do "social media" (never have) and don't check anyone's web site "daily" for deals. It's not worth the hassle/time. I automatically delete 99% of the emails I get from them without reading them first.

The entire marketing experience for many retailers now has shifted focus to social media and the like. It's cheaper for them and more likely to hit the younger demographics they desperately want.

I don't think Best Buy will be in the media business more than another 2-3 years.