DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Murnau, Borzage and Fox Huge Set at Daedalus for around $50

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 09:09 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Murnau, Borzage and Fox Huge Set at Daedalus for around $50

Daedalus Books wants to get rid of their Murnau, Borzage and Fox Dvd sets so they just slashed the price in half to 49.98 plus 7.95 shipping.

https://www.daedalusbooks.com/Produc...oductID=135693
Old 12-22-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Murnau, Borzage and Fox Huge Set at Daedalus for around $50

Great set at a great price !
Old 12-22-17, 09:18 PM
g

Anybody know if it is common for this set to have warped disks. The reviews on amazon said the set had issues early on.

It does look like the last semi truck of sets as it is not available at many stores.

I decided to buy one since it is out of print everywhere and the price was right.

Last edited by g; 12-22-17 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-25-17, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been eyeing this set for years but considered it overpriced and hated the excessive packaging, particularly as there are double-sided disks stored in cardboard pocket sleeves. My endgame was hoping that Fox would run out of the original packaging and sell off their remaining DVD's in a normal keepcase...for around this price. I decided to meet them halfway. Thanks for the heads-up.

Are City Girl and Sunrise the only films here that have been superseded on Blu-Ray?
Old 12-25-17, 08:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I remember getting "an amazing deal" on this years and years ago. It still sits, unopened, at the storage site most likely. Scared to look to see how much I paid back then.
Old 12-25-17, 09:33 AM

Just ordered this magnificent set. Thank you for the heads-up!
Old 12-26-17, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks! Just ordered one!

Originally Posted by thetao
Are City Girl and Sunrise the only films here that have been superseded on Blu-Ray?
Forgot one more - Bad Girl.
Old 01-05-18, 11:35 PM

My package arrived a few days ago. For anybody unfamiliar, it's two big graphic novel-sized books in a cardboard photo album-like book with the DVD's in pockets over four pages. I haven't tested the disks yet. Most of the impractical DVD-era packaging I've seen is from Universal, but I guess Fox also wanted a go. The flaw in the design is that the two books are heavy and held in pockets in the front and back of the album by very thin cardboard. My set apparently got dropped at some point which completely tore the bottoms of the two pockets and dented the corner of the outer case through to the photo album:

For anybody else who ordered, did your sets arrive intact? Mine would be going back if I'd paid full price, but as I never wanted the fancy packaging, am trying to overlook it. Kind of hoping one of the DVD's is bad, to give me another try.
Old 01-06-18, 04:53 AM
g

Mine came in near perfect condition. Did yours come in a smaller sealed cardboard box inside the larger shipping box? That seemed to protect it pretty good.
If you are going to request a replacement, you better hurry. They just added a note that it is in short stock or low quantity left. I would phone them on Saturday if I was you.

Last edited by g; 01-06-18 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-07-18, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine came with a slight cardboard tear which contained the Murnau, Borzage, & Fox book & the front cover itself is slightly frayed at both ends extending out from the binding for appx. 1 3/4 inches. Suspect this happened at their processing plant as my set was also sealed inside a small box, which was then packed in to a larger one.

I wound up placing the MB&F & the 4 Devils book (this was in great shape) into my Ford At Fox box which just contained the hard covered book of photography & the 2 theatrical souvenir brochures (had removed the DVD binder & placed the DVD's into their own cases).

Eye-checked the DVD's & found no scratches on them, but would need to watch them to determine additional problems to them.

All in all, I can't complain.
Old 01-07-18, 02:58 PM

I scan all my disks for errors, and besides some quality control issues with City Girl (which still plays) there are no (very minor) errors that can't be accounted for by minor scratches. I'd think everybody buying these are getting the same batch, so aside from one-off clean room issues, the disks should all be good.

Daedalus still has inventory, and I'm still deciding if I want to complain.