Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Black Friday 2017

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-17, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Black Friday 2017

Well for me my heyday as a DVD collector of all and sundry are over. I'm still watching TV series and films I bought back in the mid 00s. Might pop into Amazon to see what's shaking up otherwise will restrain my spending.
Old 11-25-17, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Game of Thrones Blue ray + Digital seasons 1-6 is $70 on amazon.
Old 11-25-17, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You okay?
- Story

I hope that you and everyone you care about are okay, or as much as possible.
- Strapped4Cash

It's over twenty-four hours later. I still don't know what happened. And yeah, still upset.

One of my mom's friends had never been to Black Friday. My mom is a veteran of many years. This year among other things, she wanted a Crock Pot. So she invited her friend to go with us to Wal-Mart (one of the mega stores), the first of three stores planned.

I was in charge with the DVDs; my list and theirs.

As you read above, the sale begins at six. We left to be there at four pm; enough time to go into Media and find tiltes there with slipcovers - releases already know to be on sale and suspected ones.

Taking the suspected titles to the price scanner to check (and confirming sale titles).

Once done finding out where each of our group was going to be waiting.

Up until that point it was fun and exciting - waiting for sale to begin, our lines.

From where I was lined, I saw that at 5.55pm - a group had gone rabid and started tearing up the cellophane to get to the Bluetooth wall mounted home theater speakers.

Then I heard horns, lots of them; coming from the other side of the store. Not air horns by the way. Also don't know what that was. I heard crowds too.

Six hits and some areas went fanatical. My mom got her pot, but she describes as a feeding frenzy. In less than a minute this and the blenders were sold out.

Maybe, maybe - this was too much for her friend to take and the various lines. I had to go twice in the DVD area to find as much as I could. Which is a huge line, times two.

They found me was I was digging in round two.

Done - the most I could find. They're done.

Go off to check out. Ready to visit another Wal-Mart. Pay and leave the store to the car. The moment we hit the entry...

This woman loses it.

WTF?!?

She starts screaming and yelling at my mom, then me. Blaming us for... I coudn't understand what she was saying in between her crying. She wants to go home, NOW!!!

My mom is crying at this point.

That's it.

Took them home. I'm agitated, no mood to continue.

This was suppose to be a fun event. I wait all year for this day and it got gut punched by her friend (metaphorically).

The next day was somber, went by myself to two more Wal-Marts and found these...

I didn't go to Target since so few items in it I wanted.

Did not see seasons of "The 100", "Reign" or "The Originals", "Shameless", "iZombie" or "Sleepy Hollow".

Did not find "Lucifer" S2, "The Last Ship" S3 or even "Community" final season (I had expected that). Or "True Detective" S2 which they had last year.

In addition, "Prison Break: Event Series" or "24: Legacy" was part of the sale.

Movie wise, no "The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies" (not part of the sale, not paying ten for it), "Brooklyn" and a few others. I spent a bit more than expected, but not by much.

2017, I took these home:

Allied
Alien: Covenant
Bad Moms
Batman Vs. Two-Face
Baywatch
Ghost In The Shell
Gods Of Egypt
Independence Day: Resurgence
Inferno
Irving Berlin’s White Christmas: Diamond Annversary Edition
Life
The Limehouse Golem
The Longest Ride
Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates
Monster Trucks
Now You See Me 2
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Rings
Underworld: Blood Wars
xXx: Return Of Xander Cage

2 Broke Girls: The Complete Sixth Season & Final Season
Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season
Black Sails: The Complete Fourth Season
The Flash: The Complete Third Season
Gotham: The Complete Third Season
Pretty Little Liars: The Seventh And Final Season
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Seventh Season
Walking Dead, The: The Complete Seventh Season

She's not coming again with us to Black Friday, ever. Let someone else take that hurt.

Police present?

Yeah, but inside. When I was in line, they were just walking about; more like security. When she went hysterical, the cops were still inside; their cars (two) were parked empty.

What would've happened if the police had got involved? That's the question I kept wonder last night in bed.

Thanks for the concerns, Story and Strapped4Cash.

Man, this BF sucked.
Old 11-25-17, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that JohnIan.

At least you were able to get a lot of what you wanted first. Your Mom got her Crock Pot. And nothing happened to either of you physically.

But of course that absolutely stinks about your Mom's friend. She must have been upset about something, but it extra sucks that she took it out on you two, rather than wherever the cause of her problem(s) lay. Since you don't say anything more about her then I assume you got rid of her okay, so that's good. If the police got involved then there's no telling what may have happened, sometimes they can assume wrongly, and I'd say it's better that you avoided that. That's just my 2 cents, of course. But I'm glad that you'll be okay long term, and hopefully Cyber Monday will be better for you.

As for the DVD's, a lot of the smaller WB shows seem to be getting left out of BF (or everywhere but maybe 1 seller, or online only). I'd guess they're not selling well enough to keep making it worth it to include them. I know I never saw a deal on The 100, and Reign only at Deep Discount. iZombie was up at Amazon for awhile at $11.88, though they were matching, or sort of, someone. Maybe BB? I forget, sorry.

As for Community, since it came out March '16 then I really expected it last year, and was disappointed, but didn't think of it for this year. A shame, as the others were so often for sale at BF, but I suppose there are never guarantees on these.
Old 11-25-17, 10:34 PM
Banned

I bought a ton of stuff from BB and Amazon, and there's a ton more I've never seen go on sale. The 100 (season 2 and 4), Survivor (the Brosnan movie), and George Lopez (season 4, 5 6). I'm annoyed so many random catalog titles refuse to at least drop below $10 (Shaft 1971, Mclintock, Criminal, 4Got10).
Old 11-25-17, 11:08 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Glad everyone is okay, more or less, JohnIan. That is weird, for sure. Sounds like she isn't used to that sort of chaos, maybe? Or perhaps it triggers something for her? Maybe your mom will find out down the road. Hope you can find a way to let it go and dive into all those great movies.
Old 11-26-17, 02:06 AM

Sounds like she isn't used to that sort of chaos, maybe?
That's what I'm guessing.

a lot of the smaller WB shows seem to be getting left out of BF
It's odd to see the current season of their shows, but not the older ones.
Old 11-26-17, 03:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just going to buy everything online this year, then I realized I couldn't get the Stranger Things DVD online. I hit up Target a few hours late and picked up Stranger Things DVD and that Wonder Woman Bluray (which I figured out later is the same as the Wonder Woman DVD that I already own but with completely different box art). The cashier was wondering why that's all I was buying. They had a million TVs left over by the time I got there too. Seems like a dead Black Friday.

Since I was out, I hit up Big Lots and Kmart. I wasn't expecting to find anything at Kmart but they had a bin full of $1 dvds. They had some good ones in there too, but I already owned them.

Big Lots was a disappointment. They had this huge displayer out in the front of the store, but everything was full priced. I had to find the "black friday" dvds in the back. Which was mostly the same movies but half the price as the ones up front. That seemed kind of fishy to me. Anyways, not a lot of good stuff in there but the Better Call Saul bluray was a great deal. It didn't seem like anyone poached anything out of the displayers either.

I think I have bottomed out on movies to buy because I couldn't find a whole lot of things I REALLY wanted.

Amazon:
Manchester by the Sea ($5.99)
Spiderman: Homecoming ($7.99)
War for the Planet of the Apes ($7.99)
The Great Wall ($6.99)
Baby Driver ($9.96)
Pretty Woman ($5.96)
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back ($5.96)
Ash vs the Evil Dead: Season 1 ($6.99)
Ash vs the Evil Dead: Season 2 ($8.99)
A Cure for Wellness ($6.99)
The Magnificent Seven ($5.96)
Girls Trip
Warcraft ($6.99)
A Monster Calls ($6.99)
Police Squad! - The Complete Series (7.78)
Rocko's Modern Life - The Complete Series ($15.89)

Target (Online)
Snatched ($6)
Life ($6)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them ($6)
The Walking Dead - Season 7 ($10)

Target (Instore)
Stranger Things - Season 1 ($10)
Wonder Woman :Animated: ($6)

Big Lots
Wicker Man ($1.88)
Wrong Turn 4 ($1.88)
Enough Said ($2.88)
Out of the Furance ($2.88)
Machine Gun Preacher ($2.88)
Fantastic 4 ($5)
Hector and the Search for Happiness ($2.88)
Mercenary for Justice ($1.88)
House at the End of the Street
The Americans: Season 2 ($5)
Better Call Saul - Season 1 ($5)
American Dad - Season 7 ($5)
American Dad - Season 8 ($5)

Kmart:
Jack of the Red Hearts ($1)
Chloe & Theo ($1)
Filth ($1)
Bell Witch Haunting ($1)
Jesse ($1)
The Last Station ($1)
Old 11-27-17, 12:52 AM

Which was mostly the same movies but half the price as the ones up front. That seemed kind of fishy to me.
Yeah.

- - -

Did Target have S2 of "Lucifer" and/or "The Last Ship" S3?
Old 11-28-17, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by agitprop
Well for me my heyday as a DVD collector of all and sundry are over. I'm still watching TV series and films I bought back in the mid 00s. Might pop into Amazon to see what's shaking up otherwise will restrain my spending.
I hear ya! first time in at least a decade I didn't even bother to head out Black Friday , in the evening. (so much less crowded then, but still some decent stuff to pick though..in the past)

I think I was just a lurker here then, but I am sure folks remember all the great older Paramount/CBS DVD sets were at Big Lots...how many years ago was that? I got the majority of the original Hawaii 5-0 seasons, and then found a ton more at other Big Lots, and sold those on Ebay , a true win-win! Cannon, Wild, Wild West, My Three Sons and other shows (still missed a lot of them that I saw people had shown here) Saw a few BF titles , nothing of interest to me. Found one fairly obscure film from the 50's on Blue for $2.88, can't even recall the title, and have since misplaced in my house....
Wal-mart, I would find some shows of interest to me, in the cardboard bins and a ton of A Christmas Carol (1938) and Christmas in Connecticut's (1945) just on the shelves for $5. I could put up, sell on amazon, and ebay put another one a few hours later, it would sell, put up yet another, sold ...good times Now, so many megacompanies underselling little folks and ....nothing unique at Wal-mart, Target, or even Best Buy...just no fun, at least for me....

and folks, am I just getting old? I went to Amazon....I didn't even see the hourly deals...just saw some things showing the sales totals, and you had many hours to buy did they stop that last year? 2 years ago? I can't remember.

Cyber Monday....nothing of interest....Amazon was calling it cyber Monday....week...
I usually am pretty good at searching/finding stuff out there....I didn't see any real deals on box sets/older movies...it feels almost like Amazon is coasting, and doesn't need to have those loss-leaders to get people to buy other things...
Oh, remember foxconnect.com???? Man, so many great deals there in the past...now? Nothing! ok, I exaggerate 19 TV shows and movies under 1970s...well berigan, fewer and fewer folks buy dvds....gee, could it be the lack of titles and the high prices being asked for what few shows out there that has helped the downward spiral of sales????

Just a bit depressing...1 more fun thing that's gone for good....
Old 11-28-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Yeah, now that the Internet has become a mature platform and established companies dominate it, DVD shopping isn't as enjoyable as it once was. The crazy Big Lots' sales back around 2009 seems to have been the last hurrah for collectors.
Old 11-28-17, 10:22 PM

Cyber Monday....nothing of interest
Same here. I was actually thinking of spending a few more.

Looked about on Amazon - it's junk. It was a non-important sale, filler.

A thought popped in my head, gave a search. Found for seven bucks, free shipping; allegedly like new - season two of "Bosom Buddies" on Ebay. Bought that on Monday.

DVD shopping isn't as enjoyable as it once was
Before the madness, I was having a good time and found most of the stuff I wanted. This was the time to get caught up with various TV seasons sets.

I think the issue is more about stagnation, stores not wanting to try too hard, coast through the sale. Which makes me think people have less money to spend - less effort to get them in the stores.

We were able to check out, in maybe twenty minutes, probably less.

I can remember when it was nearly two hours of waiting in line to pay, packed. Not any more.
Old 12-01-17, 03:39 AM

I think it's because a lot of people stream most of their movies now and only occasionally buy event movies or stuff for the kiddies,the market for Blu and DVD buyers has shrunken a lot in the last few years.
Old 12-01-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I think the movie co's killed blu-ray with the copyguards that make life difficult for consumers (player not remembering where disc was stopped, needing new firmware to play many discs, etc) but don't hamper pirates at all. Blu should have killed off dvd long ago, as the players are cheap & also play dvd's.
Old 12-01-17, 09:19 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Hey, maybe we'll be able to find a bargain or two on Black January or February, maybe Cyber March...
Old 12-02-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Did Target have S2 of "Lucifer" and/or "The Last Ship" S3?
I didn't see either there. I did see Lucifer S2 on sale at Amazon for $11.88, so maybe they were pm'ing WM online? Amazon also had The Last Ship for $13.83 briefly. I have no idea who they were matching, if anyone.
Old 12-02-17, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the info, Strapped4Cash.