Reload this Page >

Porky Pig 5 disc Warner Archive set $34.95

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 08-29-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Until 8/31 on sale at Classic Flix for $34.98 plus $2.98 shipping. Suggested Retail Price $47.99

https://www.classicflix.com/products...warner-archive

Warner Archive Announces “Porky Pig 101” DVD Collection
August 16th, 2017 Jerry Beck

Warner Archives has announced today the September 19th release for Porky Pig 101 – a unique 5-disc DVD set that collects 99 black-and-white Looney Tunes (and two Technicolor Merrie Melodies) starring Warner Bros. first cartoon superstar.

The set includes cartoons dating from 1935 (with Porky’s first appearance in Friz Freleng’s I Haven’t Got A Hat) through 1943 (in Frank Tashlin’s Porky Pig’s Feat), presented in original release order. There is audio commentary on key cartoons from animation historians Greg Ford, Michael Barrier, Jerry Beck, Mark Kausler, among others.

The retail price is $47.99. In anticipation of high consumer demand, initial copies of Porky Pig 101, ordered via the Warner Archives website, will be traditionally manufactured using replicated (pressed) discs.

The collection provides a unique look at the evolution of the Warner Brothers cartoon, its humor and artistry, and the maturation of budding animators and directors Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, Friz Freleng, Chuck Jones, Ub Iwerks, Frank Tashlin – as well as utility players like Jack King, Norm McCabe, Ben Hardaway, Cal Dalton and Cal Howard.

Five years in the making – this set contains dozens of cartoons new to video, never before committed to DVD. Cartoons not seen on TV in decades. Support of this collection will signal to the company that fans of classic animated films still wish to buy collections on physical home media. It’s success will fuel further, more ambitious projects.

Porky Pig 101 also contains several bonus features. Porky Pig, however, appears pants-less in most of the shorts. For more information about this set- visit WarnerArchive.com.
Old 08-29-17, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Porky Pig 5 disc Warner Archive set $34.95

This is big, big news. I hope to get a pressed copy.
Old 08-29-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is big, big news. I hope to get a pressed copy.
A really good deal to be had and take advantage of it while you guys can at that price.
Old 08-30-17, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed ClassicFlix yesterday about the burned vs. pressed issue and Joel responded, saying he wasn't sure what they were getting and to hold off ordering until after their stock arrives. I replied, pointing out that the sale runs just three days. At that point I hoped he would make some inquiries, but so far he hasn't followed up.

Will probably wait until tomorrow and place an order anyway. WA titles don't tend to sell this far below list price, and there have been reports here of "MOD" Forbidden Hollywood titles from Deep Discount arriving pressed.

If instead it's a DVD-R, then I will return it in a heartbeat, but not wanting to hassle ClassicFlix too much, won't open it if the word on the street is bad. If the industry won't institute mandatory labeling at all stages of the transaction, then it's up to buyers to make enough noise so the various parties (studios, distributors, vendors) start policing themselves. I'd like think I made some small impression on the policies at Alpha, VCI, and TCM after giving them push-back.

Oh, and is ClassicFlix charging credit cards immediately?

Edit: Dig below the surface and ClassicFlix's new web site is an embarrassment. This starts with the TEN MEGABYTE application.js file and the THREE MEGABYTE application.css file that powers most pages. Don't try visiting with JavaScript disabled and don't try it on a slow connection.

Last edited by thetao; 08-30-17 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-31-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a way for Amazon to "price-match" ClassicFlix on this set, Amazon now has it listed for $36.26 plus whatever shipping charges are there based on where one lives...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Old 09-01-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UPDATE: Classicflix just raised the price of this set to $39.99 now as of today (9/1/2017)...https://www.classicflix.com/products...warner-archive
Old 09-02-17, 09:46 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Wbshop.com has it for 35.99 plus shipping.

WB5 gives 5 off 50.

They also have 25% off some new release warner archive Blu to pair it worth.

Last edited by g; 09-02-17 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-02-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by g
Wbshop.com has it for 35.99 plus shipping.

WB5 gives 5 off 50.

They also have 25% off some new release warner archive Blu to pair it worth.
To add to your listing, don't pay any attention to the listing on the site where it says it's available on MOD and Blu-ray as neither are true as it's only a pressed DVD release IF you buy it on WBSHOP.com and here is that proof...http://www.dohtem.com/bugs/news/
Old 09-03-17, 04:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The situation could have changed, but per a comment I made above, pressed "MOD" DVD's have also been available from other merchants. For one example, see

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...l#post11927762
Old 09-05-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

You are more likely to get pressed discs ordering from the WBshop. I would be surprised if demand for this was so overwhelming that they would run out of pressed discs before release day. Amazon is the least likely place to get pressed discs as they have their own burned disc program. Anywhere else is dependant on whatever Warner ships.