DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Boris Karloff - Thriller 14 DVD Box $27.50-$29.99 on Ebay Almost Sold Out (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/635391-boris-karloff-thriller-14-dvd-box-%2427-50-%2429-99-ebay-almost-sold-out.html)

MooMooMooMoo 08-01-16 05:06 PM

Boris Karloff - Thriller 14 DVD Box $29.99 on Ebay 2 Left

Apparently this went into clearance (It was originally 100, currently a little over $40 on Amazon)

Originally there were 5 from 3 dealers ranging from $25-$30

It's not as good as Colonel March or The Veil, but if you collect BK like I do.......

$29.99 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thriller-The...CnSjeoC2bLpd5Q

MooMooMooMoo 08-02-16 03:43 PM

Re: Boris Karloff - Thriller 14 DVD Box $27.50-$29.99 on Ebay Almost Sold Out

Sold Out.

g 08-02-16 11:54 PM

Thanks alot for posting. I passed on it when it was higher some months ago. But I bought one yesterday as it seemed to be a great price at 27.50. They shipped it today so 14 Disks will be a lot to watch when I get it.

MooMooMooMoo 08-02-16 11:56 PM

I bought one of the $27.50's also. You're welcome!

thetao 08-08-16 09:25 PM

I bought one as well...and it's a counterfeit. Check any of the DVD's in a computer and various software will tell you the disks are single layer and not CSS encrypted. I just gave my EBay seller the bad news.

The question now is how to tell a good copy from a fake. Might anybody reading this have a real copy on hand?

g 08-08-16 10:36 PM

People posted photos of the set on amazon on the product page near the reviews. Some of The photos are dated 2010 when the set just came out. my set looks pretty professional and matches those photos.
I haven't checked the disks yet.

bsmith 08-09-16 06:40 AM

I have the set and they are definitely dual layer disks in the original. It is unfortunate how the whole counterfeit aspects has changed to where the fakes can look just as good as the originals in presentation, just slightly cheaper materials and single layer disks. I recall several getting counterfeit Dark Shadows coffin sets off eBay that looked great when received but the cardboard of the coffin was thinner, it didn't take long for the covering to start peeling, and the disks were single layer. Apparently, several Shout sets our available as counterfeits, as well as Star Trek series.

Spiderbite 08-09-16 07:25 AM

So how do you tell single layer from dual layer? Is there an easy way? Just curious.

bsmith 08-09-16 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12869427)
So how do you tell single layer from dual layer? Is there an easy way? Just curious.

Just put the disk in a computer drive, right click the drive, select properties, and check the capacity. If the capacity is under 4.5GB then it is single layer. Anything greater and up to 8GB would be dual layer.

I guess single layer disks are so cheap to produce that it by itself is enough to make a profit, even when attempting to duplicate the packaging to look like the original. I know I buy quality single layer blanks for no more than $0.20 each, while quality dual layer blanks I pay around $1.00 per blank disk.

thetao 08-09-16 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12869427)

While this doesn't check disk capacity, in the case of the Thriller counterfeits, each disk has a volume name of four underscores ("____") or some other unreadable characters. I didn't check them all. I'm guessing the originals are named "Thriller_S1_D1" or something like that? BSmith?

I am still looking for something on the outside of the box to help tell them apart. The only clue I've noticed so far is the alignment of the spine text when all 7 cases are stacked on top of each other. The counterfeit text may zigzag more...but the alignment may be dependent on how the printer cut the artwork, not to mention its position in the case.

It's a shame really, because if the counterfeiters had gone the extra mile for dual layer disks, I wouldn't be complaining. The packaging looks really good and the price is right.

bsmith 08-09-16 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 12869704)
It's a shame really, because if the counterfeiters had gone the extra mile for dual layer disks, I wouldn't be complaining. The packaging looks really good and the price is right.

My guess is that if they used dual layer disks the price probably wouldn't be nearly as right. Also, they have to realize they will get a certain number of returns as some realize what they got.

I recall a person that received a counterfeit Dark Shadows coffin edition. When he complained that it was a counterfeit the seller claimed ignorance, told him to keep/give that set away and he would send another. I guess that shows something about the markup if they are willing to trash and give another set just to try and complete a sale.

thetao 08-09-16 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 12869825)
My guess is that if they used dual layer disks the price probably wouldn't be nearly as right.

You just made me look. The cost difference between DVD5's and DVD9's is fairly trivial...provided you already have the equipment and the expertise:

http://www.alphagroupusa.com/dvd.html

I'm thinking that as they're counterfeiting, they just don't care to invest the capital to make a more exact duplicate. And perhaps the equipment purchase itself would make them easier to locate?

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 12869825)
I recall a person that received a counterfeit Dark Shadows coffin edition. When he complained that it was a counterfeit the seller claimed ignorance, told him to keep/give that set away and he would send another.

I was hoping for that scenario, but my seller sent me a return label earlier this afternoon.

Per my earlier post, would you mind checking your disks for the volume label Image used? For a used set, this would be an even easier way to have a novice seller verify the legitimacy.

MooMooMooMoo 08-10-16 01:18 AM

Nero Disc Speed & cd/dvd speed Will also tell you if it's a 5 or a 9.

Unfortunately, mine is counterfeit also. They did a very good job; it even had a sticker. What really sucks is how will one know if they get a real one in future other then opening it & checing it with software.

I've put in a request for a return. My seller was maeliquidation

g 08-10-16 02:22 AM

The set actually appears to be out of print. The only ones with it in stock are these types of sellers on amazon and ebay. The only retail store I can find it at is walmart.com for 89.95

MooMooMooMoo 08-10-16 03:49 AM

There are still a number of high priced ones on both sites. I'd assume they're real. The other option is to buy a used set after asking when the person bought it & hoping it's not too scratched.

g 08-10-16 04:17 AM

Probably very few ok copies. Some sellers will charge higher for same set. When no retail store is carrying it or any sellers like movie mars it means very few sets available in retail or wholesale channels that arent like those we received.

MooMooMooMoo 08-10-16 03:37 PM

My seller also gave me a full refund & told me to keep it. Excellent CS, & I'm sure the sellers had no clue. Thanks to thetao for the catch on this!

bsmith 08-10-16 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 12870218)
Per my earlier post, would you mind checking your disks for the volume label Image used? For a used set, this would be an even easier way to have a novice seller verify the legitimacy.

I will check.

Edit: The label for disk 1 is: THRILLER_DISC1

Also note the discs are paired in slim double disc clear cases. The case covers are two sided with episodes listed (w/ air date and summary) on the backside so they are visible from within the case when opened. Not sure if the fakes went to that level of detail.

g 08-10-16 06:34 PM

The cases and artwork look exactly right. If it isn't genuine it is the best I have seen. The quality of some of my cases was off a little. The color on the top of the disks leaves fingerprints on top of the disks when you touch them.

MooMooMooMoo 08-10-16 09:11 PM

Yep, my only complaint was using DVD shrink to cut them to single layer!

I am now on a mission to get a real set at a reasonable price (Good luck.....)

Apparently an unnamed wholesaler was auctioning these in bulk on the net, which is apparently how all the ebay sellers ended up with them. I suggested to the seller I bought from turning the wholesaler into law enforcement; they didn't seem real interested in going there.

Is it possible that Image made the 2nd pressing dvd5's?

g 08-10-16 09:25 PM

Because of the other quality control issues it seem less likely. Some of my inner cases have messed up plastic. If you touch the top of your disks, you will see the low quality on the artwork on top. On top of the fact that the set only exists in very rare quantities through regular retail channels.

MooMooMooMoo 08-10-16 10:31 PM

The label on the disc code is "DVD-ROM" 4 May 2012

I will almost guarantee this was run through dvd shrink, then the resulting burned copies were pressed.

thetao 08-11-16 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 12871032)
Is it possible that Image made the 2nd pressing dvd5's?

I don't expect there was a second pressing, but given how Image kept their Twilight Zone DVD's in print (?), I suppose it's possible they could make more Thrillers.

MooMooMooMoo 08-11-16 06:10 PM

Guess I'm going to have to look for a deal on a used one. The bit rate is really low avg (2.3) on these

MooMooMooMoo 08-15-16 04:06 PM

More & more of these keep popping up on ebay. The seller I bought it from said they bought a quantity on an "internet auction". Good luck finding a real one at any price at this point........

Asking a seller (even of a used one) to check the disc size or label code seems to get 1 of 2 responses:

1. WTF?
2. No response

MooMooMooMoo 09-01-16 03:18 PM

There are more & more of these appearing on ebay. A couple weeks I wrote a review on ebay explaining the counterfeit issue. Funny how the review was never published..........

JohnIan 09-03-16 02:37 AM

I got so pissed off at my experience with "The Dig: Season One" that I sent off the counterfeit with a detail note to Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

I too never got any reply.

Spiderbite 09-03-16 02:49 PM

What do ya'll expect them to do? Ebay can't tell which ones are legit or counterfeit that people are selling. All they could do is possibly ban the seller but that is word against word since they don;t have the product or proof the seller sent it. What if the seller didn't even know it was counterfeit (unless they are selling lots of them).

And what is Universal going to do about bootlegs even by you sending them one?

MooMooMooMoo 10-29-16 03:33 PM

It's weird, the bootleg Thrillers keep popping up on ebay & they're selling like hotcakes. I can't imagine that Image did a single layer pressing 2nd pressing?? I'm trying to find an older used copy at a decent price.

PhantomStranger 11-05-16 03:27 PM

Legitimate distributors abandoned single-layer DVDs over a decade ago. Single-layer DVDs are almost always bootlegs for officially licensed Hollywood titles.

The studios would press single-layer DVDs back in the 90s when prices were still expensive and the tech was new.

I've never understood why these bootleggers are so cheap they can't press dual-layer discs. The only explanation I've been given is that pressing time is much quicker on single-layer discs.

Shane91 01-22-18 11:49 AM

I know this thread has been quiet for a while but I just want to ask about the difference between these two copies.

The first one has text in the bottom right corner: ID6329NCDVDSLP
The second has no text.

Which one is a bootleg?

JohnIan 01-22-18 08:38 PM

Shane91...

Put the disc (any) into a computer.

Get info on it.

Does it say, over or close to 8 gigs?

If it says 4 gigs or so - you have a single layered, bootleg DVD.

Shane91 01-23-18 02:56 AM

I haven't got the set yet, I have ordered it though. I just noticed the difference, I could only find one on eBay that had that text on both the spine of the box and the back. I'll test it when it arrives. I do think my Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman set is a bootleg though. The discs are single layer, does anyone know if that set was definitely double layer?

MooMooMooMoo 01-23-18 11:57 PM

I ended up getting a refund & giving my bootleg away to a neighbor as a gift. Problem is there were so many of these pirates, that there is no way to know if a sealed box is legit or a boot.

I wrote a review on ebay on the subject. They did not post it.

Shane91 01-24-18 12:03 AM

I asked the seller of my Thriller set where they got it, they said they got it from a thrift store, still sealed.

MooMooMooMoo 01-24-18 08:52 PM

Cross your fingers!

Sex Fiend 01-25-18 11:15 AM

My guess is that the rights on this reverted back to Universal (ala TZ going back to Paramount) and that it will be re-issued sometime in the not too distant future, probably through Mill Creek, as that is who they are licensing all of their older TV properties to for release these days.

Which means that if and when it is re-issued, it will probably be lower quality than the original Image release, but at least will be a legitimate source. So if people can be patient, they may eventually get something slightly better than the bootlegs.

I bought it at release, so I am good, in any case. But I would never have expected it to go OOP so relatively soon.