DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Has Anyone Else Noticed How Pricy Oldies.com Have Become? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/634673-has-anyone-else-noticed-how-pricy-oldies-com-have-become.html)

MooMooMooMoo 05-22-16 12:58 PM

Has Anyone Else Noticed How Pricy Oldies.com Have Become?

I have no clue how they're selling overstocks at there current prices. They used to have some good deals if you reached the free shipping threshold. Not anymore. As a recently former dvd overstock retailer, it's been several years since I could get prices anywhere near what they're asking .....

PhantomStranger 05-22-16 01:04 PM

Re: Has Anyone Else Noticed How Pricy Oldies.com Have Become?

They've always been pricey in my estimation, though they often had stock long after other sellers were out of items. Though my knowledge is fairly out of date, I haven't bought from them in this decade.

I've always gotten the impression they are a small, family-run business and fairly stuck in how the media business once operated, even before the rise of DVD.

malazar 05-22-16 09:34 PM

I have a feeling they may be struggling. I often drive by what I imagine is their HQ since it has a big Oldies.com sign on it easily visible from the highway and noticed either a for sale or for rent sign on the building the other day.

BobO'Link 05-23-16 12:07 PM

I've not purchased anything from them in years, all due to their rise in prices. It seemed to start right before they apparently snatched up the stock that would normally be found at BL in great quantities. I can frequently get the same titles for less from Amazon MP vendors, even their own Alpha titles.

GoldenWheels 05-23-16 03:18 PM

JM2C....mail order customers are often an older crowd, and are hugely loyal compared to web customers who will shop differing websites to save a buck or two.

If Oldies still relies heavily on their catalog, and I would assume they do, they're relying on older folks who may not be balking at the prices the same way many of us would shopping online.

We try to beat their pricing every time--I don't always succeed, but I try.

MooMooMooMoo 05-23-16 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 12808935)
It seemed to start right before they apparently snatched up the stock that would normally be found at BL in great quantities.

That's my perception also. I used to purchase from them at retail for resale. Not anymore!

rmw650 05-23-16 10:04 PM

I've noticed their prices have been skyrocketing in the last few weeks time.

I was trying to find The Jim Backus Show on DVD for my friend, and everyone else didn't have the thing or were out of stock, so naturally I went to Oldies.com but they charge astronomical shipping rates for their items and their customer service isn't anything to write home about. Happy I got the DVD but I know i also paid way too much for it but nobody else had it in stock at the time.

Zbu 06-04-16 10:24 AM

I never ordered much from them, strictly due that they were weird on their shipping and often took weeks to get in basic stuff. Then again, this was years ago, so I have no idea if that continued or not. If I've had an urge to get some Alpha Video stuff I just went through Amazon or such.

30smovies 10-09-16 05:16 PM

I've never bought dvds from them, mainly just vinyl records and they still have great prices for "new old stock" albeit not that huge of a selection. I have noticed they have cut back on their selling 45's in star lots for the most part although many stars have enough singles available from them to warrant such a collection.