Old 05-19-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts
Have Gun Will Travel: The Complete Series - $49.96 @Amazon.com

Price matching walmart.com:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gun-Will-T...eries/50011231

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Have-Gun-Will-...omplete+series

Last edited by bacigalup; 05-19-16 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
Re: Have Gun Will Travel: The Complete Series - $49.96 @Amazon.com

Originally Posted by bacigalup
Now why can't I copy & paste a link here from Amazon??? It only shows when I edit!

Advice anyone?
Possibly related to the issue described here?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...r-working.html
Old 05-19-16, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Possibly related to the issue described here?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...r-working.html
Thanks!! Disabled Adblock & that did the trick!
Old 05-19-16, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HGWT is one of the greatest tv westerns ever. Lots of great guest stars, writers, directors (Ida Lupino, etc.). Very adult, sophisticated series with a fantastic premise (mercenary gun for hire takes on cases for $ but has a strong code of ethics for sticking up for the "right" side. Think Marlowe on horseback).

Fast-paced, literate, original. Richard Boone made a great world-weary (but worldly) gunfighter fond of quoting the classics while dispensing justice (for a fee). Doing it while dressed all in black.

I remember when an entire set of 52 or so VHS tapes sold for well over $1K.

About 225 half-hour episodes, most in pristine b&w for $50 (plus tax if applicable). Fantastic bargain (the original releases comprised 9 sets...first three sets were full seasons; last three were half-season releases).

This is a steal. Highly recommended for all western fans or even just fans of good drama.
Old 05-20-16, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

How does HGWT compare to The Rifleman?

I haven't watched a lot of old TV Westerns but I have always loved The Rifleman and it is one of my all time favorite TV shows.

Great price on this but I am on the fence.
Old 05-20-16, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know anything about the pakaging. How are the discs seated in the box?
Old 05-20-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

**RANT**
I *just* received this Wednesday and had paid ~$60 (which is *still* a very good price). When I contacted them last night Amazon refused to refund the difference (just over $10). It's tempting to return and reorder as they'd only deduct $5 from the refund and I'd still get it for $5 less than what I originally paid. My office is just a few doors down from a UPS drop-off center so I'd have no additional expense.
**END RANT**

OK... Packaging... I've not yet opened this as I'm trying to decide if I want to mess with a return/reorder.

It comes in *two* clear/translucent type keepcases - 1 large with 4 seasons and 1 smaller with 2 seasons inside a sturdy, open end, box. If you've seen the new extra wide cases CBS is using for other complete series sets (Frasier, Gomer Pyle, Rawhide, and others) you've seen these. The large one is ~2" and the small one is ~1" in width. I'm assuming the insides of the larger box are identical to many other CBS releases in which the insides are a book of pages that simply sits in a couple of interior grooves - comes out easily. I'd expect the smaller to be standard pages on hinges that do not come out.
Old 05-20-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

I haven't watched a lot of old TV Westerns but I have always loved The Rifleman and it is one of my all time favorite TV shows.

It's a much different show - but one I greatly enjoy. I also like The Rifleman and watched both as a kid (during first run). If you like The Rifleman or Maverick or Gunsmoke or just about any other western from the mid-50s to mid-60s you'll probably like Have Gun - Will Travel.

From the Season 1 review by John Sinnott here on DVDTalk:
Richard Boone plays Paladin, a gentleman living in style at a fancy hotel in San Francisco. He dresses in white and is accustomed to the finest food and wine. A man of culture, he can quote Shakespeare and Socrates with equal skill. Everyday he reads newspapers from around the western part of the US. When he finds someone who may be able to use his help he puts one of his cards in an envelope and mails it. On the card is his symbol, a white chess knight, and his message: Have Gun Will Travel. Wire Paladin, San Francisco. His gun is for hire, and the cost is $1000.

When he takes a job, he changes from the cultured dandy into a rough and tumble gunslinger. Dressing in all black, he carries a gun on his hip and a Derringer up his sleeve. He is quick on the draw, but would prefer to outwit his opponent, and he is not above using his fists if the situation calls for it. Paladin was also very honest and highly principled. He would never take a job if he didn't think that he was on the side of justice, and the few times that he was tricked into doing so, he was quick to turn on his employer.

Have Gun Will Travel is more than your run of the mill gunslinger show though. Paladin often acts as a detective, having to track down his man, and sometimes discovering that things are not what he was led to believe. Paladin out thinks his opponents as often was physically dominating them. The appeal from Have Gun Will Travel didn't come only from the fight scenes, but rather the way Paladin would outwit his adversary. This was often more interesting than the obligatory fight scene.
Old 05-20-16, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

Bobolink's post is right on the mark with the review.

I also love Rifleman, especially first 2-3 seasons, but I'd say HGWT exceeds it in quality. Rifleman suffered a bit from being "bound" to North Fork, and there were a lot of repeated or similar plots out of necessity in the last two seasons. HGWT managed to keep things fresh since Paladin had the means & motivation to travel far & wide at a moment's notice. Rifleman has that heart-warming connection between Chuck Connors & Johnny Crawford; HGWT tends to be a bit "colder" in tone due to the nature of the show. I'd say HGWT also tends to be quite a bit more cerebral than Rifleman & had more interesting plot twists.

I'd echo Bobolink & say that if you'd probably like HGWT, too. It's really a high quality show...made a great one-two punch when paired with the original half-hour Gunsmokes. HGWT makes just about everyone's Top 10 (or Top 5) western list along with Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Bonanza, Wagon Train, and other long-running series.

And it has that great, catchy theme song (immortalized in Stand By Me by the four friends).