Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Kino $4.99 'Classic Clearance' sale - ends Jan. 31

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Kino $4.99 'Classic Clearance' sale - ends Jan. 31

I'm glad to hear they will fulfill all the orders and didn't oversell it....
I screwed up on Sudden Fear too....oh well..grabbed a lot of what other folks got, the Harry Langdon 3 film collection , and I think all the Fairbanks stuff...(Look forward to checking out the Gaucho)had a few I got off of TCM, but these will of course look better...
Speaking of Douglas Fairbanks sr...
I saw some comments above about him above...I cannot claim to be any expert on his work, I've seen bits and pieces as I am sure most everyone else has too. Only film I know I have seen from beginning to end is The Mark of Zorro.
One ran on TCM , oh a year ago maybe? Anyway, stupidly didn't record it. He did an amazing (IMHO) almost throwaway stunt, climbed up a church steeple so quickly, so effortlessly, it just blew me away. I wondered how in the world he got down!
He's basically Jackie Chan, without quick edits.. Yes the pacing of the films is slower than todays films. But, if you are patient, it pays off (says the guy that has only watched 1 of his films all the way through )To think he did this stuff 90 + years ago, is amazing. And, if he got hurt, that's the end of the movie....
If it isn't against the rules, check out this short youtube clip from Mark of Zorro...makes me want to see the film again (it's probably been 10 years or so)
Old 02-04-16, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by berigan
I'm glad to hear they will fulfill all the orders and didn't oversell it....
I screwed up on Sudden Fear too....oh well..grabbed a lot of what other folks got, the Harry Langdon 3 film collection , and I think all the Fairbanks stuff...(Look forward to checking out the Gaucho)had a few I got off of TCM, but these will of course look better...
Speaking of Douglas Fairbanks sr...
I saw some comments above about him above...I cannot claim to be any expert on his work, I've seen bits and pieces as I am sure most everyone else has too. Only film I know I have seen from beginning to end is The Mark of Zorro.
One ran on TCM , oh a year ago maybe? Anyway, stupidly didn't record it. He did an amazing (IMHO) almost throwaway stunt, climbed up a church steeple so quickly, so effortlessly, it just blew me away. I wondered how in the world he got down!
He's basically Jackie Chan, without quick edits.. Yes the pacing of the films is slower than todays films. But, if you are patient, it pays off (says the guy that has only watched 1 of his films all the way through )To think he did this stuff 90 + years ago, is amazing. And, if he got hurt, that's the end of the movie....
If it isn't against the rules, check out this short youtube clip from Mark of Zorro...makes me want to see the film again (it's probably been 10 years or so)
I've shown Fairbanks movies to kids who had never seen a silent movie before and they've been riveted. Anyone who thinks silent cinema is a dead language should watch Fairbanks and prepare to be stunned by this one man spectacular.

I'm kind of sorry I rushed my order too, not only passing up SUDDEN FEAR, but I probably should have gotten the Harry Langdon set even though he's not one of my faves. I mixed up this set with another Langdon set called "Lost And Found," which I remembered got lousy reviews. So in my haste I didn't realize this was a different set. Oh well.
Old 02-04-16, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I got my confirmation of complete fill shipping within 3 days today.