Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 11-27-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I've got the original Married WC box & I've pretty sure I've never opened it. I have seen it sell for big bucks. Is the picture significantly better then the Mill Creek?
Old 11-27-15, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Be aware that the Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, That 70s Show, and Married with Children (possibly others - just check the back) season sets at BL are the re-releases from Mill Creek. You can usually do much better price wise on those from Amazon and others.
Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie Sony sets are there too.
Old 11-27-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

The BF display was out on Wednesday at my store.

Picked up the following as $1.88 blind buys:

Shadow Dancer
The Signal
Surveillance
Water
Old 11-28-15, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
Nothing but the Truth DVD $1.88
This is a fantastic movie.
Old 11-28-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 799 Likes on 589 Posts

I stopped by today and Big Lots was really busy.

I picked up:

Dylan Dog Dead of Night Blu-ray for $2.88
Ernest Goes to Camp/Camp Nowhere Blu-ray (to replace my DVD copies) for $2.88
Never Let Me Go Blu-ray for $2.88
Martha Marcy May Marlene Blu-ray for $2.88
Crooked Arrows Blu-ray for $2.88
Old 11-28-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I repeat my unsubstantiated theory for the millionth time that Oldies.com is buying most of what Big Lots used to buy, & is both paying more for them & selling them at a significantly higher price.

If you get Oldie's email adds. it's all the same kind of titles from the same labels that BL used to get (other than Oldie's garbage in house label, Alpha).
Old 11-28-15, 06:13 PM

My haul ($1.88 unless otherwise mentioned):

- Lassie Come Home/National Velvet ($3.88)
- The Signal (Magnet)
- Shinjuku Incident
- Outrage: Way of the Yakuza (Magnolia)

I'm specifying Magnet/Magnolia for those releases, because I know a few people will hold out hope that they eventually show up for a $1 at Dollar Tree.

Speaking of DVDs... I will need to return my DVD copy of Possession (I scored the Blu tonight - see other thread) and hope they take it.

Overall, this is the most underwhelming Big Lots Black Friday selection yet. Yeah, I still did okay, but the prices and choices were definitely underwhelming compared to past years.
Old 11-28-15, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 610 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I repeat my unsubstantiated theory for the millionth time that Oldies.com is buying most of what Big Lots used to buy, & is both paying more for them & selling them at a significantly higher price.

If you get Oldie's email adds. it's all the same kind of titles from the same labels that BL used to get (other than Oldie's garbage in house label, Alpha).
I agree. Oldies started getting those titles around the time BL supply seemed to dry up. For a short while there was a bit of overlap and Oldies *always* had prices 100-200% higher than the same title at BL. Even though I still get their emails I've not purchased anything from them in a couple of years as their prices are just too high considering the titles offered.
Old 12-04-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw 3+ copies of 3rd Rock from the Sun Seasons 1,2,4,5 on dvd. $8 each. Other than that nothing seemed new.
Old 12-05-15, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a crapload of King of Queens today. There was about 3 shelves filled with various seasons. I also saw a lot of various seasons of 3rd Rock and Married With Children and yet another restock of Fringe.
Old 01-07-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
I found a crapload of King of Queens today. There was about 3 shelves filled with various seasons. I also saw a lot of various seasons of 3rd Rock and Married With Children and yet another restock of Fringe.
Forgot to mention at the Niles, IL locale, they have all nine season of KOQ available at eight bucks a season so for those that live within the area and are still interested in them, they have them there located at the front of the store.
Old 01-07-16, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went into a BL today for the first time in at least a month. Only thing that caught my interest was a James Cagney Shakespeare film (don't remember which) at $3.

The blu selection is increasing, but it's garbage titles.

A few TV series ranging from $8-$20.

I wish them luck on the Breaking Bad DVD sets still sitting around at $14.50
Old 01-08-16, 04:47 AM

Went into a couple of BL this week....just the same old stuff dwindling away! One store pushed the display so far away that one side of it is blocked off.
Old 01-08-16, 05:25 AM

Hi, I'm new here. Has anyone picked up or seen any television movies on DVD at Big Lots? I'm always looking everywhere for tv films, specials and other stuff I know will never make it to Blu ray. I have a lot already because I'm always checking. The last tv film I seen and bought from BL was "Against Their Will(1994)" Last week I picked up "Secret Window" and "Our Family Wedding" on BD. Last month I bought "Maid in Manhattan" and the "Omen" remake on BD.
Old 01-08-16, 05:26 AM

Guys, Oldies may be buying more, but it isn't them. They aren't anywhere near a big enough player to affect the market like that.

What is happening is that as DVD/BD sales slow, less copies are produced. Same thing happens to books- less remainders of all kinds.

I work for Half Price Books. We don't get anywhere near the variety and quantity of good remainders that we used to get. 2010 was the last time every week of remainder shipments was like Christmas. It started to slow in 2011- which, surprise-surprise, is when Borders went out. When Borders stopped carrying catalog (of anything), that's when a lot of book biz people knew it was the end. BN, being the only book player in town, followed suit...and they could go lean because they were the last man standing.

Warner Bros. now handles so much DVD production (Paramount catalog, etc.), I'm guessing that's why you see so much of their stuff at Oldies. I think a lot of it isn't even MOD, but they have it in stock.

At HPB, we get a lot of brand new WB box sets in shipment- I can think of the Jimmy Stewart, Frank Sinatra, and Marx bros. ones off the top of my head. The price point is all over the place- a buyer at corporate figures out what a good margin is for us, and voila.
Old 01-11-16, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I hear you. It's fairly obvious that Blu's & DVD's are not being produced @ the numbers that they once were. The format is not dead, but has slowed down quite a bit because streaming has gotten so much faster in the past several years. These days, it seems the only place I can find Blu's that I want is online.

However, as a collector of Blu's/DVD's, some comic book collected editions, and some books, I will say that Half Price Books is definitely the best brick & mortar store to find both old (and some new) product. I find Barnes & Noble to be WAY too expensive & won't typically shop there for anything. As it turns out, HPB & B&N are the only two bookstores in my area anymore - that I know of. And, I live in a big city. I miss the days when Borders was still around; they typically had a great selection & in many cases also had great sales. Borders is also the first place I got a frozen coffee smoothie

Re: Big Lots, their prices on Blu's/DVD's are the best I've ever found anywhere; they can be as low as $3 each - the problem is, they typically have a pi$$-poor selection. What's interesting is that they used to have a great Blu selection a couple of years ago, but unfortunately both their Blu & DVD selection has noticeably shrunk in the past 1-2 years. No surprise there, however.
Old 01-11-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by js2shops
Guys, Oldies may be buying more, but it isn't them. They aren't anywhere near a big enough player to affect the market like that.

What is happening is that as DVD/BD sales slow, less copies are produced. Same thing happens to books- less remainders of all kinds.

I work for Half Price Books. We don't get anywhere near the variety and quantity of good remainders that we used to get. 2010 was the last time every week of remainder shipments was like Christmas. It started to slow in 2011- which, surprise-surprise, is when Borders went out. When Borders stopped carrying catalog (of anything), that's when a lot of book biz people knew it was the end. BN, being the only book player in town, followed suit...and they could go lean because they were the last man standing.

Warner Bros. now handles so much DVD production (Paramount catalog, etc.), I'm guessing that's why you see so much of their stuff at Oldies. I think a lot of it isn't even MOD, but they have it in stock.

At HPB, we get a lot of brand new WB box sets in shipment- I can think of the Jimmy Stewart, Frank Sinatra, and Marx bros. ones off the top of my head. The price point is all over the place- a buyer at corporate figures out what a good margin is for us, and voila.
Thank you for the inside business perspective, it is much like I figured. The studios started clearing out their deep backstock inventory when media sales started collapsing around 2008. These days they are far more conservative with initial runs, so there is little stock left to wholesale remainder even for new titles.
Old 01-11-16, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheDude
I hear you. It's fairly obvious that Blu's & DVD's are not being produced @ the numbers that they once were. The format is not dead, but has slowed down quite a bit because streaming has gotten so much faster in the past several years. These days, it seems the only place I can find Blu's that I want is online.

However, as a collector of Blu's/DVD's, some comic book collected editions, and some books, I will say that Half Price Books is definitely the best brick & mortar store to find both old (and some new) product. I find Barnes & Noble to be WAY too expensive & won't typically shop there for anything. As it turns out, HPB & B&N are the only two bookstores in my area anymore - that I know of. And, I live in a big city. I miss the days when Borders was still around; they typically had a great selection & in many cases also had great sales. Borders is also the first place I got a frozen coffee smoothie

Re: Big Lots, their prices on Blu's/DVD's are the best I've ever found anywhere; they can be as low as $3 each - the problem is, they typically have a pi$$-poor selection. What's interesting is that they used to have a great Blu selection a couple of years ago, but unfortunately both their Blu & DVD selection has noticeably shrunk in the past 1-2 years. No surprise there, however.
The one problem I have with HPB (at least in Wa state) is that the plastic bags they put the used discs in scratch the crap out of them. They're clearance (disc stays in the case) & new stuff is great; but most used discs are horribly scratched from the dreadful anti theft bags.

Re BL: They USED to have a great selection; but I agree it's a joke now.
Old 01-12-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to a BL today and they had signage for Buy 2 TV Seasons for $14.

Of course every show I brought up was excluded and $14 alone. On the positive side that meant that Shameless S1 is down from $20.
Old 01-12-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Didn't see anything new there today. Saw season two of "Chuck" for five dollars.

By the way, their iHome wireless mouse can interfere with airport.

Though it could've been a defective mouse, exchanged mine for a wired one.
Old 01-13-16, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Went to a BL today and they had signage for Buy 2 TV Seasons for $14.

Of course every show I brought up was excluded and $14 alone. On the positive side that meant that Shameless S1 is down from $20.
I believe it's the $8 seasons that are 2 for $14.
Old 01-13-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it's the WB sets which've been that price since they first hit the stores over a year ago.
Old 01-13-16, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Yes, it's the WB sets which've been that price since they first hit the stores over a year ago.
I thought they've advertised the more recent sets like I Dream of Jeannie and Diff'rent Strokes.
Old 01-14-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Didn't see anything new there today. Saw season two of "Chuck" for five dollars.
Yeah, same old stuff as far as the tv shows were concerned. I'd bought all the Chuck seasons at retail *sigh*, so hopefully someone who'll appreciate the show picks it up.

Thanks. That makes sense. I guess a couple might've been $8, but this store had a lot of the $14 and $20 marked titles (big surprise).
Old 01-14-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Yeah, same old stuff as far as the tv shows were concerned. I'd bought all the Chuck seasons at retail *sigh*, so hopefully someone who'll appreciate the show picks it up.
Expecting them to sell out quickly, I picked up the entire series at that 2/$14 price point when BL first got them (over a year later and they *still* have copies of all 5 seasons on the shelf). I just finished S4 and have really enjoyed the series so far. It's a very good purchase.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.