Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 02-16-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 11 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Bought these two Lucille Ball offerings for $5 each. Also got a copy of 'BelAmi' for $1.88

Old 02-16-18, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I grabbed Bel Ami a couple weeks ago. It was good (had to be with that cast).
Old 02-24-18, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a stack of garbage DVD titles yesterday as low as 15 cents at a Big Lots. I took them for empty cases that I need.
Old 02-25-18, 02:19 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

found a stack of garbage DVD titles yesterday as low as 15 cents
Color me curious.
Old 03-14-18, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
I grabbed Bel Ami a couple weeks ago. It was good (had to be with that cast).
I assume we are not talking about "Private Affairs of Bel Ami"?
Old 03-15-18, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by berigan View Post
I assume we are not talking about "Private Affairs of Bel Ami"?
No,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440732/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Old 04-18-18, 04:13 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Last time I was at Big Lots my Mom wanted to give a dollar to their charity and it had a benefit. They just sent me a five dollar coupon off fifteen for donating to it according to the email.
Old 04-18-18, 08:12 PM

That's something.
Old 05-05-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went to the local store yesterday with a $5 off $15 that expires tonight. Couldn't find ANYTHING to buy.
Old 06-13-18, 02:47 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

a lot of the TCM/Warner 4 packs ($8) in the SoCal area - recall seeing Cary Grant, Esther Williams, War, Romance, Spencer/Bacall. Some two packs too for $5. Also the Universal Glamour Collection of Mae West ($5) and Carole Lombard ($8)

Picked up a copy of Warner's 'Dracula AD 1972' for $5 only because it came with a phenomenal 'Monster Mayhem' slip
Old 06-13-18, 10:25 PM

I have that "Mae West" collection and the "Carole Lombard" set too, but that I haven't gotten around to watch - yes, I have had it for years.

Picked up a copy of Warner's 'Dracula AD 1972' for $5 only because it came with a phenomenal 'Monster Mayhem' slip
I'm curious, now.
Old 06-13-18, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JohnIan View Post
I have that "Mae West" collection and the "Carole Lombard" set too, but that I haven't gotten around to watch - yes, I have had it for years.

I'm curious, now.
I also nabbed the West & Lombard a long time ago. I have watched the West; it was better than I expected (not saying it's great, just better than I expected).

I haven't watched the Lombard yet.
Old 06-21-18, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The local store has everything discussed in the last few posts. I picked up the Jean Harlow TCM 4 Film set for $8. More than I'll usually pay at BL, but I only had these on burned WAC's.
Old 06-22-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 154 Posts

I also nabbed the West & Lombard a long time ago. I have watched the West; it was better than I expected (not saying it's great, just better than I expected).

I recently purchased the "Mae West Essential Collection" from Amazon (~$12) thinking I'd seen a couple before and, like you, found them better than I'd expected. I looked at the "Glamor Collection" cover and now think I may have that set. Bummer if I do, but it's likely why I thought "Hmmm... I've seen a couple and they were "OK" so maybe some are better." At least that "Essential Collection" has 4 more films I know I've never seen, one of which is She Done Him Wrong costarring Cary Grant (which sells for ~$10 by itself).

If I *do* have the "Glamor" set I purchased it from BL loooong ago. Around the same time as the Lombard "Glamor" set. IIRC, they also had a Marlene Deitrich "Glamor Collection" that I also purchased.

It makes me want to dig and see if I do have that West "Glamor" set - I know I don't yet have it cataloged if I own it - man I need to catch up with that!

I was in the store yesterday but don't remember seeing much - but then I did a "quick look" mostly at BR so there could be a good DVD restock. I'll check it again this weekend as I have a $5 off $15 coupon to use.
Old 06-23-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They had Wests both with & without slip cover. Mine is slip-less, but I'm not going to pay $5 for a slip cover!
Old 06-23-18, 03:56 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
a lot of the TCM/Warner 4 packs ($8) in the SoCal area - recall seeing Cary Grant, Esther Williams, War, Romance, Spencer/Bacall. Some two packs too for $5. Also the Universal Glamour Collection of Mae West ($5) and Carole Lombard ($8)
In Las Vegas in addition to the above I saw the Jean Harlow, Thin Man, Mom ( Mildred Pierce, I Remember Mama, Magnificent Ambersons plus 1 other), Robert Mitchum, Spencer Tracy, and Taylor and Burton 4 disc sets for $8 each. For $5 I saw 2 disc Big Sleep and Key Largo.

Crazy that Amazon 3rd parties are asking $119 for Thin Man set. $8 at Big Lots if you can find it.
Amazon Amazon
Deep Discount has it for a more realistic $27.30. If you don't mind flippers you can get the movies with New Screen Icon packaging for $12 to $14.

Last edited by Classic Films; 06-26-18 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-03-18, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JohnIan View Post

I'm curious, now.

Guys, you're KILLING me! It's like you are a mile from the best restaurant in town, and you've never gone into it ! :P
I can't say I know your film tastes that well (though I think Moo has talked about a fair number of classic films in the past here) but...you need to watch at least a few of these. (Man of the World , We're Not Dressing would be the last to view, though Man of the World has a bit of an unusual ending, and while Carole is a rich bitch in We're Not Dressing, it also has Bing Crosby, a very young Ethel Merman, and a roller skating bear that's in love with Bing )
But, you can't go wrong with the 3 pairings of Lombard with Fred MacMurray (so odd to see him a fairly studly guy after you've grown up seeing him as an "Old" man on My Three Sons)
Carole is a world weary working woman, looking for Mr. Rich, in Hands Across the Table (she's a manicurist at a hotel) , the best film on the set. Ralph Bellamy gives one of his best performances, in a bit of a thankless role. It's very funny, yet grounded, if that makes sense.
The Princess Comes Across, I didn't like much the first time I saw it, liked it a lot more the 2nd time around. Without giving too much away, She puts on a a Garbo like act onboard a ship, Fred is the leader of a dance band. Comedy/Mystery.
True Confessions has Carole as a bit of a ditzy blonde , who is forever telling lies (and crinkles up her face as she is making one up, few actresses could do this without making one want to throw up) She and Fred were a great screen team, as Fred was with Claudette Colbert, and Madeleine Carroll.
Still good, but not quite in their league is Love Before Breakfast (check out the poster for this film!, yikes! But, it's not what it looks like, honest!) with Preston Foster.
so, long story short, when you are bored, want to laugh, don't watch some Will Farrell film for the 55th time, put on Hands Across the Table....
Old 07-03-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but my latest stop by the local store revealed multiple copies of this DVD collection for $8:

Old 07-03-18, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but my latest stop by the local store revealed multiple copies of this DVD collection for $8:

Very nice pickup of that movie set.
Old 07-04-18, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like I need to make a BL trip. I only have 2 of those films.
Old 07-04-18, 05:46 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

I noticed the latest trend at Big Lots is to sell "Previously Viewed" (used) movies for $10 (some Marvel blockbusters, Oblivion, etc.). I suppose if I didn't already have most of these I might be tempted (for a couple of seconds), but $10 for a used movie is pushing it.
Old 07-04-18, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post

Be aware that The Princess and the Pirate has a complete reel for which the Technicolor registration is off. It looks like you're watching an anaglyph 3D print it's so bad. They've used the same master for every release and have never gone back to remaster that and fix the error. Why that wasn't corrected before the original release is a real head scratcher. I love this film but it's practically unwatchable due to the horrid transfer.
Old 07-04-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

20% off this weekend. Saturday with card, Sunday with coupon.
Old 07-06-18, 06:24 AM

I suppose if I didn't already have most of these I might be tempted (for a couple of seconds), but $10 for a used movie is pushing it.
Especially since they can be found in pawn shops or even swap meets for three bucks.
Old 07-06-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$3?? Here they're usually $1-$1.50!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.