Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Time Life Clearance: Real Ghostbusters, Six Million Dollar Man, China Beach, Power R

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Time Life Clearance: Real Ghostbusters, Six Million Dollar Man, China Beach, Power R

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Time Life Clearance: Real Ghostbusters, Six Million Dollar Man, China Beach, Powe

Originally Posted by Corellian
Sound chip?
Each time you open the box it plays the opening "Steve Austin, astronaut... etc", that & lenticular picture of him running is very cool.

Last edited by hasslein; 07-22-15 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Re: Time Life Clearance: Real Ghostbusters, Six Million Dollar Man, China Beach, Powe

Originally Posted by hasslein
One other interesting thing that is kind of funny, from reading from a seller on ebay, the Canadian release, the box has no sound chip because of bilingual laws. HA!
I have read that is bullshit and a good way to spot bootlegs. Don't know if that is true or not.
Old 05-21-15, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I am sorely tempted by the Real Ghostbusters set. The individual seasons have never been on much of a sale other than season one.
Old 05-21-15, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I received the China Beach set! The cardboard shipping box had some severe dents and damage, but while there was no packing paper/plastic/air packets, etc. inside then the Set itself actually looks perfect. Very happy with it and thanks again to Spiderbite for mentioning the deal.

A few of these others are mildly tempting, but the only other Time Life collection that I really have to have is The Wonder Years, so I'll be holding off.
Old 05-21-15, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I am sorely tempted by the Real Ghostbusters set. The individual seasons have never been on much of a sale other than season one.
I'd get it. I got it for the same price a few years ago and love it.
Old 05-22-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Interesting. I just called them and asked for Yvonne. They don't have extensions so they could not get me to her. I spoke with a different person and she said that she could run a check on that deal and would have to get it approved by corporate. She said that it would take at least a week or I could take a $20 discount now. She said that since these are on close-out and discounted heavily already, she could not get the $89 price approved right off the bat hence the corporate approval.
Similar story here - the lady I spoke to was quite surprised (doubtful even), and said twice that she hadn't heard of ANYONE discounting things further*, except via TV ad offers. (And couldn't transfer me, either.)

Be sure to ask for Yvonne, and tell her Dave sent you.
She was willing to check - but needed a surname and/or order number to do so... would you be willing to message either of those?

*...hopefully the handful of calls for Yvonne don't get her in trouble!

Last edited by ntnon; 05-22-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-25-15, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay... I specifically asked Yvonne (DiCarlo is her middle name... like 'Lily Munster!' I wasn't told her last), if I could tell everyone about the deal, and she said absolutely.

I have no problem giving you my order number and info (SEE PM FOR ORDER #)... The order is shipped and they can't suddenly charge me more.

Included Shipping: BEST METHOD 3 DAY

GHOSTBUSTERS COMPLETE COLLECTION 480023388X $79.99
SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN COMPLETE COLLECTI 480026016X $79.99

SUBTOTAL: 159.98
TAX 15.20
SHIPPING: 0.00
ORDER TOTAL: $175.18

So please let me know if this helps. I hope everyone gets the deal.

Enjoy!

Dave

Last edited by Corellian; 05-25-15 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-28-15, 10:47 AM

After hearing all the horror stories of damaged packages arriving, I'm happy to report both my six million dollar man and ghostbusters boxes arrived in great shape.

UPDATE: Well, the sound chip doesn't seem to work on mine. I wonder if the battery is dead. I did find the switch and that didn't help.

Did everyone who was interested get the deal or credit?

Dave
Old 05-29-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just checked, my battery is dead now, too.
Old 05-30-15, 12:38 PM

Okay... I specifically asked Yvonne (DiCarlo is her middle name... like 'Lily Munster!' I wasn't told her last), if I could tell everyone about the deal, and she said absolutely.

I have no problem giving you my order number and info (SEE PM FOR ORDER #)... The order is shipped and they can't suddenly charge me more.
Much appreciated.

Sadly, no go.

I did make a point of asking upfront whether my bringing it up (after getting such confusion/suspicion the first time) could have any impact on you, or her or anything else and they assured me it wouldn't.

My friendly customer person said transferring was impossible, but was able to look up your order. She told me she couldn't discuss someone else's order, but "did see what I was asking about," checked with at least one superior and basically concluded what the first person did with less information: they're baffled about why you got such a deal(!), surprised that anyone would offer you such a deal(...), and was quite adamant that it couldn't/shouldn't happen......

Her only suggestion was that you may have had a code, or been a regular customer or something, because neither she nor her superior (nor the previous person) had ever heard of such, or thought it could happen.

So.... well done! But goodness only knows why you got it, (or why anyone thought it might apply to anyone else).

Anyone else have better luck?
Old 06-01-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Included Shipping: BEST METHOD 3 DAY

GHOSTBUSTERS COMPLETE COLLECTION 480023388X $79.99
SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN COMPLETE COLLECTI 480026016X $79.99

SUBTOTAL: 159.98
TAX 15.20
SHIPPING: 0.00
ORDER TOTAL: $175.18

So please let me know if this helps. I hope everyone gets the deal.

Enjoy!

Dave
Well, I checked back with them since my last call and it was a no go as far as 10% off each set and then another 10% off like you got but they did give me 10% off my entire order. So another $20 bucks off (and I didn't have to pay tax like you did) so I got essentially the same price.

They still said that they couldn't decrease the sets further, same as last time but thanks for posting as it still saved me 20 bucks!

I watched a few things off the Six Million Dollar Man set and it really is a fantastic set. The Ghostbusters set also looks great but I have not had a chance to dig into it yet.

For those who still may be interested, the prices on these sets are still the same as of today.

If you don't want to go through having to talk to customer service (but I have to say they were awesome to deal with), try this coupon code which came on my receipt which was "SAVE10." That should work right off the bat.
Old 06-02-15, 01:52 AM

Well, I checked back with them since my last call and it was a no go as far as 10% off each set and then another 10% off like you got but they did give me 10% off my entire order. So another $20 bucks off (and I didn't have to pay tax like you did) so I got essentially the same price.
Yeah, it was somewhat of a "I can bring the price of each set down to $89.99, and then I can take another $20 off the entire order, plus give you free faster shipping... In the end it turned out to be those prices.

I'm surprised it's been as difficult for anyone else....

Dave
Old 06-02-15, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

They still said that they couldn't decrease the sets further, same as last time but thanks for posting as it still saved me 20 bucks!

I watched a few things off the Six Million Dollar Man set and it really is a fantastic set. The Ghostbusters set also looks great but I have not had a chance to dig into it yet.

For those who still may be interested, the prices on these sets are still the same as of today.

If you don't want to go through having to talk to customer service (but I have to say they were awesome to deal with), try this coupon code which came on my receipt which was "SAVE10." That should work right off the bat.
Thanks for the info and the code. I decided to bite on SMDM.
Old 06-02-15, 05:53 PM

After hearing all the horror stories of damaged packages arriving, I'm happy to report both my six million dollar man and ghostbusters boxes arrived in great shape.

UPDATE: Well, the sound chip doesn't seem to work on mine. I wonder if the battery is dead. I did find the switch and that didn't help.

Did everyone who was interested get the deal or credit?

Dave
My sound chip works but I had to switch it on (it was switched off, I guess to save the battery?) The cardboard section which housed the switch was kind of crushed and there was a broken piece of plastic floating in the box. I had to remove all the DVD boxes and fish the switch out the side of the cardboard to turn it on/off. There's a bunch of glue on the backside of the controller so I assume it's supposed to be attached in there somehow. I think the broken bit of plastic may be part of a button you're supposed to push to trigger the sound but I'm not sure.

Anyone know if there are pictures anywhere that give a good closeup view of what that soundchip area is supposed to look like? I don't really want to send the set back since it's in fine shape otherwise, especially since the soundchip seems to be problematic in a lot of the sets.
Old 06-04-15, 08:18 PM

Lucky!

Hh.

...guess I'll call them again tomorrow!
Old 06-04-15, 10:09 PM

Individual seasons of Six Million Dollar Man are currently $7.99 at Target (through Saturday, 6/6?).
Old 06-08-15, 10:43 PM

Anyone who has ordered and received the Ghostbusters set, was it the Steelbooks or plastic cases?

I'm guessing plastic cases but wanted confirmation.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-15, 11:53 PM

They're the plastic cases for Ghostbusters.

Also, the replacement Six Million Dollar Man box had this HORRIBLY crappy soft cardboard box around the sound chip that had crushed during shipping. I opened it and switched batteries with the other one, and I'm now working on that one. Better...
Old 06-26-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

These three are appearing at the Hollywood Show at the end of July, Would be nice to have the box signed. Hopefully they are working on getting Lee Majors there...

EDIT: They Changed it to read The Bionic Woman

Last edited by hasslein; 07-21-15 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TVSHOWSONDVD just announced there will be complete Bionic Woman and Six Million Dollar Man sets from Universal.... I have the Time Life complete, so it doesn't affect me, but once again, the person who bought the individual seasons is getting screwed over. There will be no individual release of the TV reunion movies, they will only be in the complete series set...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Six...e-Series/21339
Old 07-22-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!

TVSHOWSONDVD just announced there will be complete Bionic Woman and Six Million Dollar Man sets from Universal.... I have the Time Life complete, so it doesn't affect me, but once again, the person who bought the individual seasons is getting screwed over. There will be no individual release of the TV reunion movies, they will only be in the complete series set...

boooo!
Old 07-22-15, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I pretty much expected that when I saw that Target had been carrying individuals seasons of the show for the past three months. I am not purchasing it over again for the TV movies.
Old 11-09-15, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

China Beach and Six Million Dollar Man increased to regular price. Didn't expect that to happen.

Last edited by hasslein; 11-09-15 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

China Beach and Six Million Dollar Man increased to regular price. Didn't expect that to happen.
Thanks for the info. It is interesting, and makes me especially grateful that I was able to pickup the China Beach set while it was on sale.
Old 04-30-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Six Million Dollar Man $52.99 today at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0126M389E/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.